Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Horse meat could still be on sale in Britain

marek czerniej horse meat

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#106    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,011 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

View Postealdwita, on 14 February 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

Close your eyes and try to imagine the outcome of throwing a grenade into a cesspool and then falling backwards into an old farmyard slurry pit. You ain't even close!

:w00t:  I might have to pass on that!

#107    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,887 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostMichelle, on 14 February 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

:w00t:  I might have to pass on that!

No sense of adventure, you young'uns!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#108    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,011 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

View Postealdwita, on 14 February 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

No sense of adventure, you young'uns!

Since I would probably have it on a vacation it would depend on how much I had to drink that day or the night before. :innocent:

#109    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,490 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

I have never heard of durian before so looked it up and found this bit:

Commercial Mon Thong durians are the most digestion-friendly sub-species. By this, I don't mean that in general, durians would be hard to digest. No stomach cramps and no excessive winds as with cabbage, and no discharge pain as with chilies. But with non-Mon Thong durians, there will be burping, and burps do smell like the durian fruit... socially not acceptable even in counties where durians are grown. Mon Thong is clearly the mildest kind of durian fruit. (But even in Thailand, durians are usually banned in offices and hospitals.)

So not ideal for a valentines meal then?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#110    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,011 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 14 February 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

So not ideal for a valentines meal then?

Not unless you both eat it. :unsure2:

#111    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

I've just had an update from Northwest Tonight....

Apparently the Peter Boddy abattoir in Todmorden has a got a contract for five years with Aintree raincourse.
This abbatoir is taking care of any horses that get killed at the Grand National meeting.
The Food Standards Agency was taking a particular interest in this because of an employee being fired.
Even though we are back to square one there was no evidence of any wrongdoing.
It means that none of the horsemeat we've seen recently has nothing to do with it.
So the Continential European theory is still looking good.
I doubt anybody would have known about this if it wasn't for me.
Even though it was a mountain in a molehill it just goes to show how angry some people are.

I'll get back to my book now while you chew the fat over this.

Edited by Medium Brown, 14 February 2013 - 07:07 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#112    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,051 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

View Postealdwita, on 14 February 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

Has anyone else noticed that the word 'lasagne' is an anagram of 'nag sale'? (just a thought!)

The cruel, disgusting practices of Ḏabīḥah and Shehitah without prior electrical stunning and the sale of halal and kosher products should be completely banned as a matter of course!

Seldom mentioned, but very true Ealdwita!

#113    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostMichelle, on 14 February 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Besides the three I mentioned, it would probably be how rude it would be to turn up my nose at a meal someone went to the trouble to cook for me.

Yes, I understand that you would not eat horse, cat or dog, but what criteria do you use to separate animals that you would eat and those you wouldn't? Thanks.

#114    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,490 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 14 February 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

I've just had an update from Northwest Tonight....

Apparently the Peter Boddy abattoir in Todmorden has a got a contract for five years with Aintree raincourse.
This abbatoir is taking care of any horses that get killed at the Grand National meeting.
The Food Standards Agency was taking a particular interest in this because of an employee being fired.
Even though we are back to square one there was no evidence of any wrongdoing.
It means that none of the horsemeat we've seen recently has nothing to do with it.
So the Continential European theory is still looking good.
I doubt anybody would have known about this if it wasn't for me.
Even though it was a mountain in a molehill it just goes to show how angry some people are.

I'll get back to my book now while you chew the fat over this.

OMG, I wish I had mentioned this too, my husband was talking about this earlier today about the racecourse and their deal with the abattoir.

Unfortunately the bold bit is not so looking so good, because it has been proven that horsemeat from England has got drugs in, please see the earlier update post.

http://uk.news.yahoo...91.html#xsV6sUH

Edited by freetoroam, 14 February 2013 - 07:21 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#115    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 14 February 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

OMG, I wish I had mentioned this too, my husband was talking about this earlier today about the racecourse and their deal with the abattoir.

Unfortunately the bold bit is not so looking so good, because it has been proven that horsemeat from England has got drugs in, please see the earlier update post.

http://uk.news.yahoo...91.html#xsV6sUH
Who's to say the same deal isn't happening in the Todmorden abattoir.

Gee. This is getting more insidious by the minute.

It's the only thing everybody talks about in the UK apart from Gazza's stay in rehab.

I can't believe my local presenters would lie by omission though.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#116    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,490 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 14 February 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

Who's to say the same deal isn't happening in the Todmorden abattoir.

Gee. This is getting more insidious by the minute.

It's the only thing everybody talks about in the UK apart from Gazza's stay in rehab.

I can't believe my local presenters would lie by omission though.
We do not know who to believe. My mum lives in France, they are now blaming the English for selling them drugged horse meat, this could all get quite tricky.
I hope not they test all the British minced beef on our shelves, forget findus, we have our own problems.

Gazza is always in rehab, the Sun said he was dying earlier, Gazza says he knows nothing about that. :whistle:

#117    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,051 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

I could care less... the only thing that annoys me is that if a label says 100% beef then that is what it must be.

This horse meat that has got into the food chain appears not to have any provenance (animal passport) that assures that it does not contain prohibited chemicals, has been sourced responsibly, sustainably, and produced in as humanely a way as possible  (I know that is almost an oxymoron) and traceable.

I have no problem with eating horsemeat, goodness only knows that I have eaten enough Italian Salami from horseflesh, and it is some of the finest protein available.

#118    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,011 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

View Postredhen, on 14 February 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Yes, I understand that you would not eat horse, cat or dog, but what criteria do you use to separate animals that you would eat and those you wouldn't? Thanks.

I don't have any particular criteria besides how I personally feel. I wouldn't have tried things in my teens that I did later in life. My opinion and sense of adventure have changed over the years. It's possible circumstances will differ in the future where I will have a completely different outlook. When the economy tanked I heard about the plight of people who couldn't afford to feed their horses and nobody would buy them. I think it would be better if those horses were used for food instead of letting them starve to death. Things change.

#119    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,051 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 14 February 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

We do not know who to believe. My mum lives in France, they are now blaming the English for selling them drugged horse meat, this could all get quite tricky.
I hope not they test all the British minced beef on our shelves, forget findus, we have our own problems.

No change there then... they covered up their own BSE Infection in France and allowed meat from infected French carcasses to enter the food chain whilst banning UK Beef products.

All part of the Political game I guess

#120    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Chinese chicken legs (alias Rat), sold in a take-away in Brum last year, Dont know whether they were Peking or Hong Kong variety.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users