Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gas cloud to collide with black hole in 2013

black holes milky way sagittarius a*

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

Gas cloud will collide with our galaxy's black hole in 2013

phys.org said:

Scientists have determined a giant gas cloud is on a collision course with the black hole in the center of our galaxy, and the two will be close enough by mid-2013 to provide a unique opportunity to observe how a super massive black hole sucks in material, in real time. This will give astronomers more information on how matter behaves near a black hole.

“The next few years will be really fantastic and exciting because we are probing new territory,” said Reinhard Genzel, leading a team from the ESO in observations with the Very Large Telescope. “Here this cloud comes in gets disrupted and now it will begin to interact with the hot gas right around the black hole. We have never seen this before.”

By June of 2012, the gas cloud is expected to be just 36 light-hours (equivalent to 40,000,000,000 km) away from our galaxy’s black hole, which is extremely close in astronomical terms.

Posted ImageRead more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Poltergeist

• 2,139 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

This is something I would like to witness.

Posted Image
UFOs aren't always the alien's spacecraft...sometimes they are the aliens.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,450 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:38 AM

I would love to see something actually pulled in by a black hole but I wouldn't want to get that close.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users