Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

unifying science & mysticism.

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,292 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

as there are two diametrically opposed camps here on UM, I thought i'd try and do the seemingly impossible and unite them.
on one side you have the scientific -firm believers in the rational- and on the other, the spiritual -firm believers that science doesn't hold the answers to life- and the two are seemingly mutually exclusive.
however, while looking for a photo for a friend, I came across these pages-
http://www.world-mys..._blueprint1.htm
-that attempt to see both sides of the coin as it were.
my particular interest was the correlation of the sound 'om' being passed through a tonascope & resembling mandalas that were hundreds of years old.
however, the pages go on to examine a great deal more, encompassing everything from superstring theory to morphic resonance and almost everything inbetween, from both a scientific and a mystical viewpoint (i hesitate to use the term 'religious', as it mainly uses hindu philosophy, which most people argue isn't a religion per se).
having only just found the pages, I haven't had enough time to evaluate them in detail, but even a quick read-through piqued my interest enough to note there was enough there to promote discussion.
play nicely kids.....

"The 'great' British public, they don't understand- 'why should there be riots in this 'civilised' land?'
'why is this country being brought to its knees?'
because ignorance, is the British disease."

#2    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,957 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

its a topic and subject close to my heart .... and a constant source of inspiration ... good one my man ... looking forward to the good times

:tu:

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#3    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Whats wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

extremely interesting, I dont have a lot of time to read that right now but ill definately give it a read through later tonight, :tu:

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,370 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

I try not to, but being a practicing witch it get really hard not to, especially when it works.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#5    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 24 May 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

I try not to, but being a practicing witch it get really hard not to, especially when it works.
really what type of stuff works? Im really interested

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#6    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,292 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

what got me thinking was how zeno's 'arrow paradox'
seemed to describe heisenberg's uncertainty principal down to a tee, which was pretty brilliant insight by a 2500yo greek philosopher, so I started looking around for any more examples of how ancient philosophy correlated to today's science, and it seems the hindu mystics were uncannily spot-on when you compare them with current scientific ideas, as if the workings of the universe are pre-programmed into our brains somehow, and through philosophy AND science, we're managing to unravel them!

"The 'great' British public, they don't understand- 'why should there be riots in this 'civilised' land?'

#7    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,292 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 24 May 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

there's a section in there about sympathetic magic DW.....

#8    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,173 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

shrooma, I think it's just a matter of time for main-stream science to validate the possibility of various(perhaps not all) paranormal phenomenon.

With all the weird things going-on with, say, quantum physics, our increasing understanding of time/space, and a furtherance of understanding into the still-as-of-now speculative "higher dimensions" perhaps we will all be in for a treat in a decade or so.

Edited by pallidin, 24 May 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#9    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,292 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

View Postpallidin, on 24 May 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

shrooma, I think it's just a matter of time for main-stream science to validate the possibility of various(perhaps not all) paranormal phenomenon.

With all the weird things going-on with, say, quantum physics, our increasing understanding of time/space, and a furtherance of understanding into the still-as-of-now speculative "higher dimensions" perhaps we will all be in for a treat in a decade or so.
I hope so pallidin!
one of the biggest objectives in science is to unite the known fundamental forces into one whole, complete model, and it would be interesting if they could unite science with the unexplained.
take morphic resonance for example. certain flowers mimic butterflies to encourage pollination, but how does a flower know what a butterfly LOOKS like? the world's biggest flower, the rafflesia, smells like rotting fish & meat to encourage pollination by flies, but how does a plant KNOW what rotting fish guts smell like, and that flies are attracted to them, when it lives in jungles, nowhere near fish, and can't see flies?
there's more to nature than we know, and a lot of it seemingly impossible!

#10    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

View Postshrooma, on 24 May 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

I hope so pallidin!
one of the biggest objectives in science is to unite the known fundamental forces into one whole, complete model, and it would be interesting if they could unite science with the unexplained.
take morphic resonance for example. certain flowers mimic butterflies to encourage pollination, but how does a flower know what a butterfly LOOKS like? the world's biggest flower, the rafflesia, smells like rotting fish & meat to encourage pollination by flies, but how does a plant KNOW what rotting fish guts smell like, and that flies are attracted to them, when it lives in jungles, nowhere near fish, and can't see flies?
there's more to nature than we know, and a lot of it seemingly impossible!
Iv ALWAYS been fascinated with plants, there extremely amazing in my opinion

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,173 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

View Postshrooma, on 24 May 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

...there's more to nature than we know, and a lot of it seemingly impossible!

Agreed. Nature, in specific, is quite bizzare. How aspects of Nature can "know" about other aspects of Nature, when there is absolutely no direct connection(in some cases) boggles the mind.

As you said, "there's more to nature than we know"

You brought-up some good examples, and there are many more of them. We don't understand "squat" about much of it.

#12    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,292 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 24 May 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

Iv ALWAYS been fascinated with plants, there extremely amazing in my opinion

View Postpallidin, on 24 May 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Agreed. Nature, in specific, is quite bizzare. How aspects of Nature can "know" about other aspects of Nature, when there is absolutely no direct connection(in some cases) boggles the mind.

but yet, when you hear vegetarians talk about plants, you'd think they were eating rocks for all the acknowlegement they give them, simply because they don't talk, or make puppy eyes at people, they thing eating plants is ok, because they don't seem to think that plants are living entities with a right to a continual existence, because they don't, they CAN'T understand a plant's mechanisms & processes, no-one can!

#13    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,957 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

without plants ... there would not have been anything else ... from the botanical kingdom everything else gained its existence ...

Posted Image

The Joseph Campbell Foundation
link

What I think is that a good life is one hero journey after another. Over and over again, you are called to the realm of adventure, you are called to new horizons. Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There’s always the possibility of a fiasco.
But there’s also the possibility of bliss

Joseph Campbell
Pathways to Bliss

YOu guys are so lucky to have such opportunities to such resources available to you ... when I started out on such a path ...

ahh ... but it was such fun ... :lol:

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

#14    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,292 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

I know what you mean 3i, when we were kids, there were no computers or internet, just books and our own ingenuity & resourcefulness, no pocket calculators, just paper & pens and our brains! imagine if pythagoras or newton had access to technology?!
but NOT having them probably made them smarter, having to figure it all out by themselves (newton even had to INVENT calculus to complete his work!). ancient philosophers did a pretty good job of dreaming up the fundamentals that science takes for granted, armed only with their intuition and aptitude.....

#15    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,957 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

My local public librarian hated me ... then she practically loved me to bits .... I helped her out a lot just so to have some extra time when she closed up for the day...

'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users