Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Teen sentenced to attend church for 10 years

tyler alred church manslaughter probation

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,836 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

An Oklahoma teen convicted of manslaughter has sentenced to 10 years of probation, with requirements that include regularly attending church.

Tyler Alred, now 17, had been drinking when he crashed a pickup truck at around 4 a.m. on Dec. 3, 2011, Tulsa World reports. The accident killed Alred's friend, 16-year-old John Luke Dum, who was a passenger in the vehicle.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2146619.html

Posted Image

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,264 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Ah, the good old colonial times back on the rise...

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

• And a million baneful words couldn't bring me to my knees.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Yeah.. is that really even legal??? Separation of church and government and all that jazz... He should get a couple of years in jail until he's matured enough not to do it again.

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,008 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 20 November 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

An Oklahoma teen convicted of manslaughter has sentenced to 10 years of probation, with requirements that include regularly attending church.

Tyler Alred, now 17, had been drinking when he crashed a pickup truck at around 4 a.m. on Dec. 3, 2011, Tulsa World reports. The accident killed Alred's friend, 16-year-old John Luke Dum, who was a passenger in the vehicle.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2146619.html
The ACLU will probably get this sentence overturned even if the young man doesn't object to it.  Bad precedent.  Not sure what the judge was thinking but I have no problem with the idea in theory.  Church going has been found to be an activity that correlates with increased longevity and better emotional wellbeing.  Maybe any kind of structure would do the same but this kid seems to need SOMETHING.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#5    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,008 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 20 November 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Ah, the good old colonial times back on the rise...
Yeah, we can't have something like THAT.  Because the way we are doing things in our more enlightened age are working out SO well for us, huh?  I agree that the State shouldn't be pushing religion.  If they do this and get away with it then my grandchildren might be forced someday to attend Mosque.  Religion needs to be a private concern totally.  This kid made a mistake that is common of his age group and it cost a friend his life.  If this sentence is kicked back by litigation then the 17 year old probably turns 20 in a prison cell.  Maybe that helps him but probably? No.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#6    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,611 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Well the story doesn't mention what type of church. If it is up to the kid he should pick something different: pagan, rastafarian, mormonlol.

#7    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,312 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostChasingtherabbit, on 20 November 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Well the story doesn't mention what type of church. If it is up to the kid he should pick something different: pagan, rastafarian, mormonlol.

He could attend the Church of Biff :D

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#8    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

This is a punishment worse than death.

#9    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,678 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Should of given him 10 years in jail and let him attend church there.

Judges sometimes do hand out punishments that probably aren't constitutional but unless you have to money to take it to a higher court or someone takes up your cause you just have to live with it.  That is how they get by with it.

#10    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Drinking while driving is NO accident..I doubt going to church will do him any good, as his attorney states,  he attends church every week anyway

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 20 November 2012 - 03:42 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#11    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

How about... ten years in prison? Drinking, driving, with a passenger? Puhlease, and underage to boot. Screw church, toss him into the slammer.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#12    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,073 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

How about 10 years with Alcoholics Anonymous - going through the 12 step program would at least be a practical type of rehabilitation for a drunk driver, even if it only teaches him to drink responsibly.

Since when has going to church ever stopped anyone from doing anything?  Aren't most of the Mafia avid churchgoers?  This is really the height of ridiculous.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#13    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Church  = punishment...I best drive safely, otherwise they could sentence me to 10 years as a parishioner ... If I commit murder, I could wind up  life as a nun !!! :blink:  ( Kidding )

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 20 November 2012 - 07:35 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#14    Shiloh17

Shiloh17

The Last.

• 2,251 posts

• "Eve's eve, a new beginning."

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

What happens when you stand in front of a muslim judge who sentences you to 10 years of going to an Islamic mosque?
These kind of things do push the line. Can you imagine sentencing a muslim to attend church for 10 years?

#15    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostRealm, on 21 November 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

What happens when you stand in front of a muslim judge who sentences you to 10 years of going to an Islamic mosque?
These kind of things do push the line. Can you imagine sentencing a muslim to attend church for 10 years?

He'll probably end up like the only Jew you'll see in a church: nailed to a cross. LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users