Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tiny village is latest victim of the 'The hum

Still Waters

It is a mysterious sound on the very edge of perception that has driven thousands of people around the world to distraction.

Now a tiny English village is the latest community to claim to be being hit by the phenomenon known as "the hum".

Residents of Woodland, in County Durham, claim that every night a noise permeates the air similar to the throb of a car engine.

It is sometimes so strong that it even shakes the bed of one of the householders.

But no matter how hard they look, the community cannot find the source of the problem and, at their wits end, have called in the council to investigate.

The 300-strong population is the latest around the world to be hit by the rumble which has in the past led to wild conspiracy theories blaming it on UFOs, government experiments and abandoned mine shafts.

It is so widespread that it has even featured on the television show The X Files.

It's most famous occurrence was in Bristol in the 1970s when more than a thousand people complained of the consistent drone causing nosebleeds, sleeplessness and headaches.

It vanished as mysteriously as it arrived and was never explained.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diablo_04

• EllJay

• Axlaiden

• Damrod

I believe that the mystery hum is nothing that a ear infection.By yawning or by tightening the tensor tympani muscle inside the ear, you can induce a loud, low-frequency rumble, that sound like car engine.

My theory is that mybe the water in that area have some bacteria ( i guess when they take a sower the water enter in the ears ) that lead to ear infection and tightening the tensor tympani muscle inside the ear.

Creepy, i agree with diablo, could be one of theories.

everyone in that town has ear infections? Tsk tsk.

Diablo, nuke...is that a joke?

Everyone in town has an ear infection...gsus!

the world while physical..is also a spiritual one, full of supernaturals and the unexplained. We as humans are just too primitive to understand it..some do like myself.

be open minded.

Diablo, nuke...is that a joke?

Everyone in town has an ear infection...gsus!

the world while physical..is also a spiritual one, full of supernaturals and the unexplained. We as humans are just too primitive to understand it..some do like myself.

be open minded.

Not everyone can hear the hum( from the other cases of the mysterious hum the study show that only 5-10% can realy hear the sound) . I am just seen the tings as they are if the water have some bacteria, all the people of that town are using the wather so its not hard to see lots of people having a harmless ear infection.

water poisoning can affect large number of people, every one is using the water!

I remember hearing about the "Hum" several years ago. I always wondered if it was related to communications testing that was going on. I recall some experiments being done with Ultra Low Frequency as a means to transmit signals through the ground or to deep water submarines...don't recall ever hearing if it was successful or not. There was also some testing done a few years ago called SAWtech...i.e Surface Acoustic Wave technology...

Maybe it's just some communication research that has a side effect of causing resonance in the stone strata or bedrock which some people can hear as a hum and others can't... lol...just a wild guess!

Edited by Damrod

So far Damrod's explanation makes the most sense. Something is going on and it is most likely something man made not natural in origin. HAARP could be a suspect also. I myself have always been sensitive to certain sounds. Although I cannot actually 'hear' a dog whistle I can FEEL it and it makes me want to scream along with the sensation.

The hum has been reported in various places since the '70's. Atmospheric, geological, or industrial? There are valid explanations for just about every region where it's been reported. Could be anything--depending on the geographical location.

It remind me to Taos Hum.

That was my first thought as well, and I to my knowledge no one has found a source for that hum either.

Probably a project their government is testing on their own citizens.

Damrod's explanation does make sense. Could it be that these frequencies, possibly ELF's create a standing wave that disperses when the source stops? Harmonics are weird and it would explain why the source can't be found. It's probably miles and miles away. I would like to know if it was mostly the women who heard it. On average they have 17% better hearing than men. Some, much better. Not that some men don't have great hearing too, just not as likely.

If it was a standing wave, there would be others. I wonder if there are any coincidental areas reporting the hum.

Could be tectonic activitiez, not so sure tho.

That's what I was thinking. There is a lot of energy and activity beneath the Earth. A vast reservoir of magma and movement and heat. I can see how this could create vibrations at the audible level, sure.

Does this make anyone else think of that x-files episode where the guy has to travel East or his head explodes?

Only 5-10% ?!?! Id bet 5-10% of everybody here's something like that ocasionally. I wonder if anyone has bothered to turn off their air con.

what does it sound like? is it a long huuuummmm? sounds creepy

what does it sound like? is it a long huuuummmm? sounds creepy

I read up on the Taos hum years and years back and from what I read it's supposedly sounds like a diesel engine idling from a distance which doesn't sound too pleasing as all especially for months on end. Some people reported it more muffled than others and apparently, the sound would stop and start sometimes so that would be kind of maddening also.

I agree that the hum is probably coming from resonance caused by some sort of machine or communications technology. The ear infection explanation is also good, but the fact that the hum only happens at a certain time period (12am-4am) rules it out. This would also probably rule out natural explanations such as tectonic movements, since they wouldn't be so precise in terms of time.

I've also heard of this maybe a year or so ago. I read in an article that one location was proven that the hum was being heard by only people that lived near the coastal area and that it was apparently such a high frequency that only some people could hear it. They said it was the soundwaves of energy being transferred from shallow waves to the Earth's crust. Oh, and this article mentions something I didn't remember reading and that is that the atmosphere might also be contributing. :o

Read more here.

Edited by Dataslayer