Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy survives 9 weeks in Australian outback

Saru

A teenager who went missing from Sydney has been found alive after surviving alone in the wilderness.

Matthew Allen's family feared the worst after the 18-year-old disappeared in late November from Westleigh, near Cherrybrook in northwest Sydney and his mobile phone and bank accounts went untouched.

arrow3.gifRead more...

He couldn't have picked a worse time to get lost out there. Those weeks were the hottest Sydney has ever reached before.

He was only 1-mile from home when he was found after 9-weeks missing?

Not saying that he was that close for the entire 9-weeks... likely not, but REALLY, I would have expected a little more from the search party.

It's not the Amazon jungle there

• Like 1

Not saying that he was that close for the entire 9-weeks... likely not, but REALLY, I would have expected a little more from the search party.

Maybe they found him by following the one meter deep rut caused by his walking in a quarter mile circle for weeks on end? :innocent:

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

From the OP Link:

"He was completely exhausted, completely dehydrated, suffered significant weight loss, somewhere up to 50 per cent. He was suffering from partial blindness and he had leeches all over him," said acting police inspector Glyn Baker.

I other words.... The very picture of health according to Hollywood.

• Like 1

Why did he deliberately hide himself? Said it was a popular area for hikers.

I only live 20 kilometres from where he went missing and have been through the National Park where he went missing.

Walk in any direction besides North and you are only 2-3 kilometres from houses where his home is.

The problem is if you walk North you are walking into untouched bushland for around 600-800 kilometres which itself spreads out to an area approx the size of Florida or Great Britain.

We have reports of missing hikers or tourists quite often because the virgin forests are so close to the Major cities.

"Matthew" also has a disability (which his family will not disclose) which may have contributed to his decisions of not wanted to be seen by people he does not know.

This is actually a sad story (when they gave up the search) that has become a happy story. I just hope he can recover from his ordeal and get healthy again.

• Like 3

He was deliberately hiding himself. I remember seeing a photo of him before he went missing, he looked a bit 'special'. Who knows what was going on in his head. But yeah, I'm pretty sure the area he was found in is a popular hikers trail.

I saw this on the news the other day , he had mental issues and wanted to hide in the bush .

Im not sure who was his guradian or parent but they should have stopped him ... no doubt !

TiP.

I don't believe it.

Why is it unbelievable? The boy lost over half his body weight, how do you explain that?

They should have used an Aboriginal tracker. Like our Bushmen trackers in Southern Africa, they can track a lizard over rocks. We used them to track an air crash survivor that wandered off to nowhere.

Haha it's not quite 'the outback' or 'the wild' either.

Maybe he just wanted to try out a new fad diet... Seemed to have worked quite well. (I really think it is a sad story don't worry)

Ohhhhh and that kid that walked out of the forest in Berlin made it all up: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/9333519/Forest-Boy-finally-identified-and-admits-I-made-it-all-up.html

I must have missed that update back in mid 2012 :tsu:

The problem is if you walk North you are walking into untouched bushland for around 600-800 kilometres which itself spreads out to an area approx the size of Florida or Great Britain.

Great Britain's area size is much larger than Florida's (The UK is obviously even larger at around 1.5 times that of Florida).

:tu:

As an Aussie born and bred who loves in the country I feel There is a bit of BS on behalf of the kid. Sure he lost half his body weight but he was near civilisation, food and water taps. put him in real outback and he will be dead within a week like the rest of us.

He must of been watching Man vs. Wild

The I shouldn't be alive - tv show team need to remake this boy's experience by interviewing him cuz it's a story I sure want to watch.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by ozman

Great Britain's area size is much larger than Florida's (The UK is obviously even larger at around 1.5 times that of Florida).

:tu:

Just wanted to give an example for persons around the world Smokey.

It is all approximation I am not saying one area is exactly the same size as another.

Let's just say it's a "biggish" area. :yes:

• Like 1

Just wanted to give an example for persons around the world Smokey.

It is all approximation I am not saying one area is exactly the same size as another.

Let's just say it's a "biggish" area. :yes:

:tu: :tu: :tu:

They should have used an Aboriginal tracker. Like our Bushmen trackers in Southern Africa, they can track a lizard over rocks. We used them to track an air crash survivor that wandered off to nowhere.

there are not many of those around the city area's.. you need to head right out bush to find a decent tracker these days..

• Like 1

there are not many of those around the city area's.. you need to head right out bush to find a decent tracker these days..

Even then sometimes it's better to look harder, it's sad I have met some really incredible elders but they are a dying breed like people that use common sense or logic.

To those who say it's on purpose, who the **** gets themselve screwed up with gangrene on purpose. If so that's punishment from the universe nuff said.

Poor kid, I still do not understand how he got out there, there's probally 3 scenarios that I can think of and 2 of them are "odd" in my opinion and the other is tough s***. 1) He got lost... Why we you in the heartland of bush without any equipment especially if you were by yourself, any self proclaim "hiker" has even a crappy gps or sos gps. 2) He's really p***ed somebody off and they have dumped him in the bush as a punishment of sorts (well known infamous torture in Australia)... in that case you're a complete ****** and you have just wasted generous peoples time. 3) An UNEXPLAINED MYSTERY... *twilight zone music* adubctee, experiment/initiation (secret society/military/spy), religious, spiritual... jeez the list goes on but really all that does is enhance the fact it is probally bs if it's mainstream. You'd have to watch how many interviews/tv appearances/radio appearances he does to see how much the bs-o-metre fills up.

I used to walk the creeks around my town when I was growing up it'd be suprising on how far you could get (during day time of coarse) so I can understand the adventure sense about it if he went on his own free will, only diff is I was 7-8 years old he's nearly an adult. Stopped after 4-5 years of doing it when I seen a 2m+ goanna on a paperbark tree pretty high up but that was in the entry of my tracks by that point. Took that as a sign that I was finished exploring haha.