Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Boy banned from school for Mohawk haircut

haircut suspended mohawk

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostMyles, on 08 April 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

It's a tough one.   In the early grades K-4th, the teachers have to do as much as they can to have a disciplined class.   You cannot have each kid questioning everything.  There would be no time left to teach what needs taught.  It also fluctuates per class.   Kids like to push the limits and teachers have to keep control.   It's tougher and tougher each year because many parents are relying on the schools to teach their children how to behave.

Yep, things like this probably wouldnt be a problem, but there are so many of us who have kids, but dont want to be parents.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#17    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

• And a million baneful words couldn't bring me to my knees.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

Pfft. I think this is ridiculous. If it were dyed some neon color then maybe, but it's just a tiny little mohawk ffs...
Disruptive? When are 5-year-olds NOT distracted by something else? If it's not a haircut, it's a fly buzzing around the room, or Spiderman on someone's back pack. Just tell them to sit down as you would with any other distraction. They would have lost interest in a day or two anyway. The teacher just didn't like it and made an excuse to have it cut. That's what I think...

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#18    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,104 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 08 April 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Yep, things like this probably wouldnt be a problem, but there are so many of us who have kids, but dont want to be parents.
It's amazing what it's like at the elementary level nowdays.   So many kids with no discipline or manners.   Many children know that the teacher cannot really do anyting to them.   That leaves the parents.   Unfortunately too many parents choose to take their kids side no matter what.   Growing up, I knew that if my folks got a call from the school, it's be my dad's belt that would be dealing with me.

Edited by Myles, 08 April 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#19    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,061 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Good lord, what will all these schools ever do if 80's hairdos ever make a comeback?

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#20    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostMyles, on 08 April 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

It's amazing what it's like at the elementary level nowdays.   So many kids with no discipline or manners.   Many children know that the teacher cannot really do anyting to them.   That leaves the parents.   Unfortunately too many parents choose to take their kids side no matter what.   Growing up, I knew that if my folks got a call from the school, it's be my dad's belt that would be dealing with me.

No doubt. Im so lucky my boy goes to one of the best elementary schools in the state. Well as far as public schools go. I had to actualy convince my son that its ok if he got in trouble when confronting a bully. They have those kids on lock. But in the next town over, the schools are crazy. looking at the difference though, it really isnt the schools, its the parents.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#21    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostMyles, on 08 April 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

It's a tough one.   In the early grades K-4th, the teachers have to do as much as they can to have a disciplined class.   You cannot have each kid questioning everything.  There would be no time left to teach what needs taught.  It also fluctuates per class.   Kids like to push the limits and teachers have to keep control.   It's tougher and tougher each year because many parents are relying on the schools to teach their children how to behave.

Agree on all of that, it's got be balanced. If more parents taught their children a lot more and taught them how to be respectful and act around others it would be a lot easier to sort the schooling system.

My Grandad taught me about respect, manners and all that stuff on top of teaching me how to tie my shoelaces, tell the time, basic maths etc all before the school did. Those things (well not basic math as soem people sturggle with math, so ti wouldn't fair)) should be taught at home. I spent many bored days in school while the class was being taught about things I knew from being at home. My grandad also worked offshore on oil rigs so he was away every fortnight. No excuse to not spend some time with your child and teach them things really.

View PostHilander, on 08 April 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Schools have always had dress codes just like any company you work for would.  You have to follow them if you are going to attend class or get a job.

That's true to a degree, but a alot of jobs don't mind people having mowhawks. lol

View Postpreacherman76, on 08 April 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Oh man, you should listen to my seven year old. Im always showing him the true meaning behind alot of things, especialy on TV (which Im really close to throwing out, the TV)  and asking him to always try to think outside the box. So even when he see's things that arent there, I tell him he is wrong about it, but that I really like the way he is thinking. Its hard at that age, cause they want to please us as parents. I dont want to make a robotic version of myself, but I dont want them to make a robotic version of what they want either.

That's good, If I have children I will be raising them like that.

Me and my housemate don't watch programs on proper TV, we got rid of our TV licence (in the UK) and we just watch things on demand services online and take nothing seriously. lol You can watch certian films and TV programs if you only looka t them as entertainment and not education if you know what i mean. I wouldn't let my children watch ahlf the garbage on tv now though. It's horrible what they have on, especially these stupid reality TV programs etc. Brain rotting trash. I only really watch walking dead, game of thrones and comedy stuff like family guy etc.

View PostRockabyeBillie, on 08 April 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Pfft. I think this is ridiculous. If it were dyed some neon color then maybe, but it's just a tiny little mohawk ffs...
Disruptive? When are 5-year-olds NOT distracted by something else? If it's not a haircut, it's a fly buzzing around the room, or Spiderman on someone's back pack. Just tell them to sit down as you would with any other distraction. They would have lost interest in a day or two anyway. The teacher just didn't like it and made an excuse to have it cut. That's what I think...

That's true, I also think that a teachers ability to keep children intrested should be taken into account. Nobody learns when they are bored to death. lol

Edited by Coffey, 08 April 2013 - 02:14 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#22    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,159 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thankfully, the schools around where I live don't ban for mohawks. I see a number of kids walking to school every morning and there are a few with goofy haircuts. Of course, I don't think mohawks are goofy. They're just... hair.

All that teacher had to say to the class was "Everyone sit down now. You can check out Jr's hair at recess." DONE. If the teacher doesn't have the respect of the kids to make that stick, then there are MUCH bigger problems in that class that have nothing to do with a mohawk.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#23    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,733 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Wow, I was really expecting something a big more shocking then what the photo shows. There's probably at least 10 or more kids at my kid's school with a similar cut. Just this morning I saw a second grader with the "Avengers" symbol shaved into the back of his head.

Edited by sarah_444, 08 April 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#24    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,159 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 08 April 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Good lord, what will all these schools ever do if 80's hairdos ever make a comeback?

I see Jr and High school aged kids walking back and forth to school every day since I live on the same street as the schools. I'm seeing some seriously long hair on the boys, but it hasn't reached the 80s Aqua Net stiffened heights yet, just the volume. LOL.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#25    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Its a dress code.
Is this really the issue one should be willing to fall on the sword for?
I get the whole "Conform or die" rebuttal but really?
Just send your kid to school following the simple rules, we have to obey rules everyday in society and they are not all designed to kill our individuallity.
I doubt the kid will be eternally damaged by conforming to a dress code.
I am a big fan of freedom but even i can realize that freedom doesnt mean do as you damn well please.
Even in this case freedom can be achieved, the parents could leave the mohawk and simply homeschool the child.
Freedom at its best.

#26    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,428 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Comeback?  I've been wearing this gorgeous mullet since 1984.  The style never left us.

#27    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,950 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Well this just seems dumb.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#28    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

I was thinking the SAME thing! How about if you kid has a mullet? Would that be considered "disruptive"?  :w00t:

Business in the front, party in the back....

View Postsupervike, on 08 April 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Comeback?  I've been wearing this gorgeous mullet since 1984.  The style never left us.

:tu:  Now, THAT is style...

#29    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Teaching kids that being an individual is wrong seems legit.
Let's instill in their fragile little minds that we are all sheep.
We must do as all the other sheep do.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#30    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,104 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostCoffey, on 08 April 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

Agree on all of that, it's got be balanced. If more parents taught their children a lot more and taught them how to be respectful and act around others it would be a lot easier to sort the schooling system.

My Grandad taught me about respect, manners and all that stuff on top of teaching me how to tie my shoelaces, tell the time, basic maths etc all before the school did. Those things (well not basic math as soem people sturggle with math, so ti wouldn't fair)) should be taught at home. I spent many bored days in school while the class was being taught about things I knew from being at home. My grandad also worked offshore on oil rigs so he was away every fortnight. No excuse to not spend some time with your child and teach them things really.

I applaud your Grandad.   Your class also benifitted from his actions.   Every minute the teacher didn't have to work with you was another minute they could work with another child.

Also tagged with haircut, suspended, mohawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users