Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Remove your uniform because it is ‘offensive’

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

For 15 years she has proudly served her country as a Royal Navy engineer, risking her life in Afghanistan when she fought against the Taliban.

But far from showing Nicky Howse the respect she deserved as she flew back to her latest posting, Virgin Atlantic staff chose to humiliate her – by demanding that she remove her uniform because it was ‘offensive’.

They warned the 32-year-old helicopter technician she would not be allowed to fly unless she took off her combat fatigues and wore a sleep suit instead.

Read more

Posted Image

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,085 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Isn't there a rule where you are not allowed to wear uniforms?

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,418 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 09 March 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

It's states clearly in the article there is no such rule but the Security Officer chose to propogate the idea that there was such a rule.  This is disgraceful, I've flown on many international flights where there have been armed forces members in uniform for part of the flight or seen them coming and going regularly at airport terminals, what is going on in England that their armed forces are treated with such disrespect and publically ridiculed?

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#4    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,240 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 09 March 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

It's states clearly in the article there is no such rule but the Security Officer chose to propogate the idea that there was such a rule.  This is disgraceful, I've flown on many international flights where there have been armed forces members in uniform for part of the flight or seen them coming and going regularly at airport terminals, what is going on in England that their armed forces are treated with such disrespect and publically ridiculed?

The country is full of Britain haters.  'Tis ok to fly any flag except the Union flag.  Seriously.  Proclaim you're proud to be British and you're immediately tarred as a fascist bigot.

:cry:   I blame the Blairs and their ilk.

Edited by Eldorado, 09 March 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#5    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,418 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostEldorado, on 09 March 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

The country is full of Britain haters.  'Tis ok to fly any flag except the Union flag.  Seriously.  Proclaim you're proud to be British and you're immediately tarred as a fascist bigot.

:no: That is so sad, they might as well stand in front of a mirror and proclaim that they hate themselves :unsure2: .

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

#6    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostEldorado, on 09 March 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

We have had a similar thing going on here the last few years. They want to change the name of Australia Day to Citizens Day. Apparently it offends people that weren't born in Australia. I guess they don't realise it's Australia Day not Australian Day.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#7    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 09 March 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Since the Good Friday Agreement military personnel have been encouraged to wear uniform in public places however prior to that because of the security risk from the IRA, uniforms were restricted even if you were wearing it in your car, it had to be covered up with an over coat or a jacket.

Not sure what the situation is now regarding the wearing of uniforms in public places, it wouldnt surprize me if it was banned again, so we don't offend Muslims? and when I say Muslims, I don't mean this in a racist way, it’s because, they are the only ones that kick off when I wear my poppy, no one else seems to have a problem with it but it, just them. Oh boy & do I love it, when they tell me to my face that my Poppy offends them.

Posted Image

#8    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

View Postxsas, on 09 March 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Since the Good Friday Agreement military personnel have been encouraged to wear uniform in public places however prior to that because of the security risk from the IRA, uniforms were restricted even if you were wearing it in your car, it had to be covered up with an over coat or a jacket.

Was about to say this. It was previously real danger to publicly wear your uniform at the height of the IRA conflict.

It actually shows you how much of a real threat the IRA posed, as opposed to how much of a supposed threat today's terrorists pose. Soldiers have been encouraged more and more to wear their uniforms in public as the 'War on Terror' has aged - which completely polars the IRA era.

#9    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

View Postxsas, on 09 March 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Oh boy & do I love it, when they tell me to my face that my Poppy offends them.

It doesn't offend me, but I only see the Poppy as a sign of respect for WW1 and WW2.... Seeing as men and woman who fight in Iraq and Afghanistan are not considered heroes in my view. They did not die for our freedom, they died for the oppisite sadly.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#10    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,334 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostDKO, on 09 March 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

We have had a similar thing going on here the last few years. They want to change the name of Australia Day to Citizens Day. Apparently it offends people that weren't born in Australia. I guess they don't realise it's Australia Day not Australian Day.
Sometimes I think we are required to bend over backwards for immigrants too much.  They are suppose to be becoming part of the country they moved to not the other way around.

#11    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,418 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostDKO, on 09 March 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

As a fellow Australian I hadn't heard that, thank goodness.  Here's hoping it's a loud minority that will be ignored.

#12    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

View Postxsas, on 09 March 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

For 15 years she has proudly served her country as a Royal Navy engineer, risking her life in Afghanistan when she fought against the Taliban.

But far from showing Nicky Howse the respect she deserved as she flew back to her latest posting, Virgin Atlantic staff chose to humiliate her – by demanding that she remove her uniform because it was ‘offensive’.

They warned the 32-year-old helicopter technician she would not be allowed to fly unless she took off her combat fatigues and wore a sleep suit instead.

Read more

Offensive to who?

Terrorists?

#13    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

It doesn't offend me, but I only see the Poppy as a sign of respect for WW1 and WW2.... Seeing as men and woman who fight in Iraq and Afghanistan are not considered heroes in my view. They did not die for our freedom, they died for the oppisite sadly.

They are just as much a hero as any soldier from ww2. To say otherwise is to be spitting in their face. At least they are brave enough to be fighting for their countries, unlike many on this form... :unsure2: (i dont mean this as a rant against just you, but the general hatred towards our brave men and women fighting right now)

Edited by Bavarian Raven, 09 March 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#14    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 09 March 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

They are just as much a hero as any soldier from ww2. To say otherwise is to be spitting in their face. At least they are brave enough to be fighting for their countries, unlike many on this form... :unsure2: (i dont mean this as a rant against just you, but the general hatred towards our brave men and women fighting right now)

I'm actually quite torn in this respect when it comes to UK soldiers.

On the one hand, they are merely following orders and have signed up, at least some of them (those who didn't just sign up as a way to escape their own lives), to serve or protect their country, which is of course commendable. But then I look at these wars we are fighting. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are, in my opinion, illegal wars. They do not conform to any model of justifiable self defence, in any way or by any stretch of the imagination (which also makes it more than just 'my' opinion). They are horrible acts of aggression carried out for elitist purposes and definitely not to serve the people of this country in any way.

So, on the one hand I should respect the soldiers, but on the other, they are fighting wars that they have no business fighting. What do I do? If we look at the German soldiers of WW2, should they too have all been given a free pass and should we respect them for they were only following orders? Were their wars or actions commendable, as we are told ours were? What about the Japanese? And if you think not, then why not?

Do you see my point?

It should never be as black and white as the government and media want it to be (and when looked at objectively, it actually never is). The idea that we should follow and support blindly our soldiers no matter what wars they fight in is EXTREMELY dangerous, and it is actually, in large part, what has led to so many regimes throughout time being able to carry out horrendous acts. In fairness, every soldier has a right to refuse orders he does not believe are legal or just or that don't follow international laws like the Rules of Engagement (though he or she will be punished quite harshly for refusing). So, I, personally, don't think anyone who does feel like not supporting our troops in their exploits in Afghanistan and Iraq is actually doing anything wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And, after all, is that not one of the ideals we hold so dear? That people are free to think and feel what they want about any given situation, and then are also free to voice such opinions?

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 09 March 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#15    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Sad state when you can  fight and even die for your country and freedoms and when you come home where back to spitting on our veterans. People are just cold and lame these days without an ounce of common sense.

Edited by AsteroidX, 09 March 2013 - 04:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users