Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is WIndows 8 killing off the PC?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#121    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,014 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

I remember the 'voice recognition' command interface back then .... I asked 'what if I shouted - Format C: drive yes confirm slash x ?" in the middle of the office loudly ?

The sales rep got a shade of red in the face so red I swear she was going to explode ... another fat commission pay cheque outta the 'window'

:lol:

~edit : spell check blind spot // which reminds me .... :lol:

Edited by third_eye, 16 May 2013 - 09:52 AM.

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#122    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

it will be more like " the pc killing off windows 8 "
people are more willing to give up this crappy version of windows than give up the pc

it's already being discussed this windows is a failure

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#123    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 16 May 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

I have an Android based computer that I use for reading books in bed.  I find I hate having to "swipe" it to do things -- it only responds occasionally and then sometimes in unexpected ways, and is a damn sight more bother than turning a page.  I like a "next page" button.  The thing reminds me of the old mouse gestures that some people thought would eliminate keyboards.  I hated them too.

Just venting.

Pick up an Amazon Kindle or any similar device :)

#124    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 16 May 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

it will be more like " the pc killing off windows 8 "
people are more willing to give up this crappy version of windows than give up the pc

it's already being discussed this windows is a failure

It's faster and more secure than windows 7. Just needs a couple fixes (believe it or not they do release updates like in previous windows versions) and with the currently discussed 8.1 update, it will soon become option number 1.

I use a Microsoft surface and find this OS absolute ideal for the product. Have you tried learning or even using this OS?

#125    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 16 May 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

It's faster and more secure than windows 7. Just needs a couple fixes (believe it or not they do release updates like in previous windows versions) and with the currently discussed 8.1 update, it will soon become option number 1.

I use a Microsoft surface and find this OS absolute ideal for the product. Have you tried learning or even using this OS?
i've read too many bad reviews of the product that made me think it's not even worth the effort
it was a pain to costumize my windows 7 with every tiny detail to suit me
do i want to spend countless hours doing the same with windows 8 only to find out it's not worth it ? nope definatly
my guess is microsoft going to relase all updates they want
but their problem won't be solved till they release the version after windows 8 .. windows 9 ?

they made perfect job of windows 7 but 8 .. not really encouraged to try it out from all the reviews

Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots

#126    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 11 April 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

I stuck with XP for ages and only late last year moved to Windows 7.  I see no benefit in moving to 8 unless I need a touch screen and I have physical difficulties that probably would rule that out.  As far as the "start" brouhaha is concerned, I've seen plenty of freeware that is supposed to put that back if one really misses it.

My view is to let things like this percolate before making the investment: let them work out the issues.  What is the saying -- those on the bleeding edge do the bleeding.

It is pretty plain that PCs are not going to dominate in future as they have in past.  They are great for desktops but I like my little android reader for laying in bed curled up with what once would have been a book, but now is a library that keeps track of where I left off on over a dozen books.

Smart plan. It is the Modus Operandi of the software industry to release things and let the users find all the bugs. Kinda annoying but after something has been in use for a while you can assume they've ironed most of the kinks out of it.

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#127    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 16 May 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

i've read too many bad reviews of the product that made me think it's not even worth the effort
it was a pain to costumize my windows 7 with every tiny detail to suit me
do i want to spend countless hours doing the same with windows 8 only to find out it's not worth it ? nope definatly
my guess is microsoft going to relase all updates they want
but their problem won't be solved till they release the version after windows 8 .. windows 9 ?

they made perfect job of windows 7 but 8 .. not really encouraged to try it out from all the reviews

When people are forced to learn new systems they don't exactly look at it favourably at first. Though when things sink in. I bet it will be a much more popular OS than it is now.

#128    RabidCat

RabidCat

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Still using XP.  However, I run Windows in Virtualbox under Kubuntu Linux (12.04, presently), and then only when I'm using my soundlab, which will only run under Windows.  I do use the free linux Audacity on occasion; it won't quite do what the purchased lab will do.  Also have XP installed on a separate hard drive when I need windows as the only OS.

Windows will never beat Linux as a primary operating system, speaking from a cost/techie standpoint, since microsoft has so many "trade secrets" that are prophylactic against outside programming unless you pay MS a bunch of money.  Nearly any program you can buy for windows has an equivalent in the GNU world, and neither windows nor apple will ever be as secure as Linux, in my humble opinion.

It's also factual, as nearly as I can see, that a) windows uses up more disk space than linux, B) linux is based on the philosophy of Unix (programmers will know about the advantages), c) linux can be installed on computers many years old and still run well (gives new life to old desktops), while windows cannot, d) I've never had a linux update destroy my OS, but certainly have with windows, e) many more advantages, such as linux making its own adjustments when I upgraded to an 8 core CPU and actually using all 8 cores.

OK.  I'll shut up now, except to say those of you running old desktops should try using XP in Virtualbox under Linux.  Windows uses far less resources that way, is much quicker, and is removed from the realm of being hacked since it becomes a virtual machine.  And, almost anything using windows as the main OS will run in a  virtual machine.

#129    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,014 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

I agree with every point mentioned about Linux except Linux support on my side of the world sucks major bad wads ... I must confess that was years ago but I don't think things has changed much .... problem for us Linux users here in the east is the multi language support ... something WinXp does better ...

Still on Xp myself and with every intention of carrying on for more years to come ...

~

~

#130    RabidCat

RabidCat

Psychic Spy

• 1,132 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 21 May 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

I agree with every point mentioned about Linux except Linux support on my side of the world sucks major bad wads ... I must confess that was years ago but I don't think things has changed much .... problem for us Linux users here in the east is the multi language support ... something WinXp does better ...

Still on Xp myself and with every intention of carrying on for more years to come ...
Can't comment  on the language support thing.  However, seems to me that in the years since I began using linux as my primary OS, support for many items has become commonplace.  The OS has improved leaps and bounds since, oh, around 2009.  Then, I used mostly XP with a ton of security.  Now, I use linux almost completely, except for doing my conversions from vinyl to CD (or HD).  In that case, the software for the turntable doesn't work on the virtual machine, so I boot to XP to grab the music, then switch to Kubuntu to use DC8 (Diamond Cut Audio lab) for further cleanup in XP virtualbox.

The engineering stuff (electronics) may not be quite as good as something you'd pay $4-5,000 for in windows, but it is pretty darned competent, and far more cost effective since it's free.  Since I use it for personal stuff (retired) I'm not required to comply with company criteria, only standards that don't care where the data originate, as in PC board houses and such.

And, the icing is that linux is improving all the time.  I have updates every few days, never an error, and it always seems to play better and better.

Do check out current language support.  It does seem to have a lot of support now.  Heck, just download a copy of Kubuntu 12.04 LTS or Gnome Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and run from DVD (too big for CD these days).  Best way, I think, is using the bittorrent method, seems less prone to error than a straight download.  I shouldn't say just Ubuntu or its variations though, as there are many different versions, as you probably know, with KDE, Gnome or the other desktops.  It happens I like KDE on either openSUSE or Ubuntu best, but that's personal preference.

#131    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,014 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostRabidCat, on 21 May 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

Can't comment  on the language support thing.  However, seems to me that in the years since I began using linux as my primary OS, support for many items has become commonplace.  The OS has improved leaps and bounds since, oh, around 2009.  Then, I used mostly XP with a ton of security.  Now, I use linux almost completely, except for doing my conversions from vinyl to CD (or HD).  In that case, the software for the turntable doesn't work on the virtual machine, so I boot to XP to grab the music, then switch to Kubuntu to use DC8 (Diamond Cut Audio lab) for further cleanup in XP virtualbox.

The engineering stuff (electronics) may not be quite as good as something you'd pay $4-5,000 for in windows, but it is pretty darned competent, and far more cost effective since it's free.  Since I use it for personal stuff (retired) I'm not required to comply with company criteria, only standards that don't care where the data originate, as in PC board houses and such.

And, the icing is that linux is improving all the time.  I have updates every few days, never an error, and it always seems to play better and better.

Do check out current language support.  It does seem to have a lot of support now.  Heck, just download a copy of Kubuntu 12.04 LTS or Gnome Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and run from DVD (too big for CD these days).  Best way, I think, is using the bittorrent method, seems less prone to error than a straight download.  I shouldn't say just Ubuntu or its variations though, as there are many different versions, as you probably know, with KDE, Gnome or the other desktops.  It happens I like KDE on either openSUSE or Ubuntu best, but that's personal preference.

I was eased onto Linux by way of the RedHat fellas ... Gnome was my choice of desktop ... but its not that critical nowadays for me as I don't use the PC for much other than word processing and a bit of Image manipulation .. still using Gimp 2 which is good enough for my needs. With my humble rig its doing fine and I've grown quite accustomed to my Xp setup which has hardly changed for more than four five years now ... updates are only for the graphic drivers and a few of the utilities that I rely on which is mainly CCleaner ... SpyBOt .... and GlaryUtilities ...Foxit Reader and my FF browser that's about it ... I am a man of simple needs.

Thanks for the heads up but I don't think I'll be going near Linux anytime soon unless I get a second hand rig somewhere ... lol
I missed OS2 truth be told .... that was a nice one that didn't quite make it.

What kind of tunes you got there on your list of vinyl conversions ? FLAC format >?
I am a music nut ... especially the old tunes ...

~

~

#132    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

xp was my favorite .. i only recently got to seven " glad i did "

#133    RabidCat

RabidCat

Psychic Spy

• 1,132 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 21 May 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

I was eased onto Linux by way of the RedHat fellas ... Gnome was my choice of desktop ... but its not that critical nowadays for me as I don't use the PC for much other than word processing and a bit of Image manipulation .. still using Gimp 2 which is good enough for my needs. With my humble rig its doing fine and I've grown quite accustomed to my Xp setup which has hardly changed for more than four five years now ... updates are only for the graphic drivers and a few of the utilities that I rely on which is mainly CCleaner ... SpyBOt .... and GlaryUtilities ...Foxit Reader and my FF browser that's about it ... I am a man of simple needs.

Thanks for the heads up but I don't think I'll be going near Linux anytime soon unless I get a second hand rig somewhere ... lol
I missed OS2 truth be told .... that was a nice one that didn't quite make it.

What kind of tunes you got there on your list of vinyl conversions ? FLAC format >?
I am a music nut ... especially the old tunes ...
OS2 - man, you are stretching it!!  That was the one really good OS outside OS9 (a control systems OS that wouldn't run on intel stuff because intel never figured out how to do quick multitasking/multiuser hardware as Motorola did - long story).  I still have that last copy of Warp 4, somewhere.  The book is here somewhere too.  I've thought of putting it on this machine, but I don't know how it would react to multiple core CPUs.

Music - When I'm putting stuff on here, I like to have as much of the full sound as possible, so I convert everything to WAV files and run that way.  Reckon I'm just an old fart that thinks analog music can't be beat, and if I could easily convert, I would.  Advantage of the Diamond cut lab is that I can add warm tube and other stuff from "the good ole days" of vacuum valves and some of the distortion therein.  It does get close to real analog though.  Removal of clicks and so on is also nice, plus they have a brick wall, among many other features.

As to type, I don't go much for hard rock and metal stuff - too much plain noise, I reckon.  I prefer cleaner music of all types, from Mozart (Requiem is a favorite) to that ancient folk/folk rock music from the 50s.  One of my favs is The Ventures, but I have all manner of music from then to now.  That includes some relative unknowns such as The Tradewinds, The Mitchell Trio (wherein John Denver got his start), The Four Freshmen, The Brothers Four, Ferrante & Teischer, Rodney Crowell,  Steve Earle, numerous film themes and soundtracks, ad infinitum.  Even some original Elvis albums.

Yes, WAV takes a lot of space, but if I ever get my 1.25 TB close to filled I'll remove an OS and add another TB or two.  I also have all my music on MP3 as backup, but perhaps I should be using FLAC.  I do like my music.

Edited by RabidCat, 21 May 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#134    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,014 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

View PostRabidCat, on 21 May 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

OS2 - man, you are stretching it!!  That was the one really good OS outside OS9 (a control systems OS that wouldn't run on intel stuff because intel never figured out how to do quick multitasking/multiuser hardware as Motorola did - long story).  I still have that last copy of Warp 4, somewhere.  The book is here somewhere too.  I've thought of putting it on this machine, but I don't know how it would react to multiple core CPUs.

Yeah OS2 back in the day of those architectures was grand ... POwerPC RISC ... sweet ol'days :lol:

Music - When I'm putting stuff on here, I like to have as much of the full sound as possible, so I convert everything to WAV files and run that way.  Reckon I'm just an old fart that thinks analog music can't be beat, and if I could easily convert, I would.  Advantage of the Diamond cut lab is that I can add warm tube and other stuff from "the good ole days" of vacuum valves and some of the distortion therein.  It does get close to real analog though.  Removal of clicks and so on is also nice, plus they have a brick wall, among many other features.

As to type, I don't go much for hard rock and metal stuff - too much plain noise, I reckon.  I prefer cleaner music of all types, from Mozart (Requiem is a favorite) to that ancient folk/folk rock music from the 50s.  One of my favs is The Ventures, but I have all manner of music from then to now.  That includes some relative unknowns such as The Tradewinds, The Mitchell Trio (wherein John Denver got his start), The Four Freshmen, The Brothers Four, Ferrante & Teischer, Rodney Crowell,  Steve Earle, numerous film themes and soundtracks, ad infinitum.  Even some original Elvis albums.

Yes, WAV takes a lot of space, but if I ever get my 1.25 TB close to filled I'll remove an OS and add another TB or two.  I also have all my music on MP3 as backup, but perhaps I should be using FLAC.  I do like my music.

Jealous ... and making me quite depressed ... lol
If you have the get up and tubes wave files is fine .... FLAC is just a matter of data compression I guess ...
I have my Led Zep 'Light and Shade' and Elvis on FLAC .. others I'll just leave at mp3s ... my sound system is just 'sound' for a matter of fact ... so won't matter that much.

Brothers Four ... now that brings back loads of memories ... :lol:
I like obscure music ... things I don;t get to hear anywhere else usually .... like Ali Farka Toure .... old time Blues ... Jazz ...  :tu:

~

~

#135    RabidCat

RabidCat

Psychic Spy

• 1,132 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 21 May 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

Yeah OS2 back in the day of those architectures was grand ... POwerPC RISC ... sweet ol'days :lol:

Jealous ... and making me quite depressed ... lol
If you have the get up and tubes wave files is fine .... FLAC is just a matter of data compression I guess ...
I have my Led Zep 'Light and Shade' and Elvis on FLAC .. others I'll just leave at mp3s ... my sound system is just 'sound' for a matter of fact ... so won't matter that much.

Brothers Four ... now that brings back loads of memories ... :lol:
I like obscure music ... things I don;t get to hear anywhere else usually .... like Ali Farka Toure .... old time Blues ... Jazz ...  :tu:
Had one of those powerpc things, an aftermarket copy when Apple allowed it.  Actually a pretty good desktop.
Unless one is a purist, I'd guess the compression doesn't matter that much.  I just get a little annoyed when there are things there that aren't supposed to be, and nothing where there is.  But then, well, I'm just one of those people that can't accept that a 44.1kHz sample rate will give everything that's in the analog original.  Even the higher sample rates leave something to be desired, but that's just me.  Unfortunately, my ears have a unique ability to hear high frequencies, and the tape decks I use have responses up to 22.5kHz at 3 3/4 ips (got them in Japan in the 1960s).  I tolerate well the WAV files though.

Not so many people are familiar with The Brothers Four, yes?
Guess we're off subject a bit - anyone offended?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users