Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Personal judgments are swayed by group opinio

regeneratia

Personal judgments are swayed by group opinion, but only for 3 days

We all want to feel like we're free-thinking individuals, but there's nothing like the power of social pressure to sway an opinion. New research suggests that people do change their own personal judgments so that they fall in line with the group norm, but the change only seems to last about three days. The research is published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/releases/personal-judgments-are-swayed-by-group-opinion-but-only-for-3-days.html

What do you think of this, while people here on the forum are attacked for their beliefs by a "group"?

Do you think this knowledge will affect what you really do think when amid a group of posters or people?

What changes would you make in your own thinking while amid a "group think" situation?

• Like 1

This reminded me of a study i learned about

you will really likeif you havent seen it before regeneratia

http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/psychology/social/asch_conformity.html

It is where people all sit at a table and told to pick which stick is the correct one. All the other people at the table are pay to be there(fake). So they all pick the obvious wrong answer. So what does the guy in the study do? A lot of them tend to go with picking the wrong answer because thats what everyone else is doing

asch_conformity.gif

• Like 2

New research? this is not news or new at all.

You just have to look at how some people dress to see how influenced they are.

What do you think of this, while people here on the forum are attacked for their beliefs by a "group"?

no one here attacks in groups. you may have some who have the same opinion, but they do not go out in a group, and as for "attack" because some one questions the beliefs does not mean it is an attack. I have found though that if someone does not like the opinion of others and feels they are not being agreed with, that they class it as an attack.

Do you think this knowledge will affect what you really do think when amid a group of posters or people?

What knowledge? we all know already people can be influenced by others. But most of here do not follow the others, they give their own opinions and if it happens to be the same as others, then so be it, it does not mean they are influenced.

What changes would you make in your own thinking while amid a "group think" situation?

When someone produces a fact or indisputable evidence to prove a point or proof, which UM posters are good at doing, its when someone disputes the facts and evidence that they claim they are being "attacked".

• Like 4

This reminded me of a study i learned about

you will really likeif you havent seen it before regeneratia

http://www.age-of-th...conformity.html

It is where people all sit at a table and told to pick which stick is the correct one. All the other people at the table are pay to be there(fake). So they all pick the obvious wrong answer. So what does the guy in the study do? A lot of them tend to go with picking the wrong answer because thats what everyone else is doing

asch_conformity.gif

thank you. Very, very interesting. I find the need to conform a bit questionable.

I was having trouble with my then-toddler child in a store one day. Two ladies came along and sympathized with me. Then they dropped the bad "bomb" (IMHO), stating "Praise The Lord". I looked up, realized I was being "love bombed" and replied, "Thank you, Ladies. I appreciate your words. However I have not yet joined that Jesus cult yet". And left, with my still squirming child.

To the other respondent, freetoroam:

spacer.gifPublic Release: 23-May-2014

journalicon2.gif Psychological Science

That means that it was released today. Not really all that old a news release.

Did you know that the impression and opinions in group think only lasts for three days?

I think dismissiveness is a plague on today's ability to really think about issues. Have you fallen into the dismissiveness group think? Will it only last for three days?

And again I say, no facts can be presented in this media, all threads on this forum. You are confusing facts with reports.

Even what I have presented in this thread is report, not fact, regardless of the source. Facts are those things you can see with your own eyes, or hold in your hand or personally experience. Reports are those things that people tell you, like this tid-bit of research. That is why I never say, the facts have been shown, or provided. It is all report. This is not new thinking. Marcus Aurelius wrote about it in MEDITATIONS.

Edited by regeneratia

thank you. Very, very interesting. I find the need to conform a bit questionable.

I was having trouble with my then-toddler child in a store one day. Two ladies came along and sympathized with me. Then they dropped the bad "bomb" (IMHO), stating "Praise The Lord". I looked up, realized I was being "love bombed" and replied, "Thank you, Ladies. I appreciate your words. However I have not yet joined that Jesus cult yet". And left, with my still squirming child.

To the other respondent, freetoroam:

spacer.gifPublic Release: 23-May-2014

journalicon2.gif Psychological Science

That means that it was released today. Not really all that old a news release.

Did you know that the impression and opinions in group think only lasts for three days?

I think dismissiveness is a plague on today's ability to really think about issues. Have you fallen into the dismissiveness group think? Will it only last for three days?

And again I say, no facts can be presented in this media, all threads on this forum. You are confusing facts with reports.

Even what I have presented in this thread is report, not fact, regardless of the source. Facts are those things you can see with your own eyes, or hold in your hand or personally experience. Reports are those things that people tell you, like this tid-bit of research. That is why I never say, the facts have been shown, or provided. It is all report. This is not new thinking. Marcus Aurelius wrote about it in MEDITATIONS.

So their report is new but its not new news, although I do not see how the 3 day bit can be right.

As for the 3 days!! I do not get this at all and it must be based on the study environment because its clear people can be influenced for far longer. Take fashion, religion, music, the people who follow in those groups do so for longer than 3 days.

Not sure what you mean about the facts and reports bit, when people put facts on here they generally have the proof to back them up, i do not take reports as facts. I did not mention the word report, so do not understand why you have mentioned it. When indisputable evidence has been given to prove a fact, how can it be disputed? but some will try and then claim that they are being attacked because they still can not accept it as it does not conform to their belief.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

So their report is new but its not new news, although I do not see how the 3 day bit can be right.

As for the 3 days!! I do not get this at all and it must be based on the study environment because its clear people can be influenced for far longer. Take fashion, religion, music, the people who follow in those groups do so for longer than 3 days.

Not sure what you mean about the facts and reports bit, when people put facts on here they generally have the proof to back them up, i do not take reports as facts. I did not mention the word report, so do not understand why you have mentioned it. When indisputable evidence has been given to prove a fact, how can it be disputed? but some will try and then claim that they are being attacked because they still can not accept it as it does not conform to their belief.

What I mean is, there can be no real proof present within this forum or on this media, as I explained above. All you are getting is reports that present themselves as fact. You have personally accepted the convention that reports are indeed facts, but they really are not. Anyone can skew information on this media. Some is lost. Sometimes things are added to the report that are NOT fact, but presented with what most assume as facts (yet again, they are mere reports). this form of media is highly vulnerable to external manipuations for all sorts of reasons. No facts can be presented in the digital world. Think about it a bit deeper. However, I am sure my college professor did explain it better than I did. He is the one who taught it to me.

I find it interesting that people are so easily swayed by group think. Would you like to hear a personal story about how I learned about group think at a very early age? If not, I will not relate it.

Edited by regeneratia

I thought about responding in this thread, but then I decided I didn't want to ruffle any feathers.

• Like 3

As humans everything anyone says or does or dosent say or do effects us in some way if we realize it or not.

• Like 3

What I mean is, there can be no real proof present within this forum or on this media, as I explained above. All you are getting is reports that present themselves as fact. You have personally accepted the convention that reports are indeed facts, but they really are not. Anyone can skew information on this media. Some is lost. Sometimes things are added to the report that are NOT fact, but presented with what most assume as facts (yet again, they are mere reports). this form of media is highly vulnerable to external manipuations for all sorts of reasons. No facts can be presented in the digital world. Think about it a bit deeper. However, I am sure my college professor did explain it better than I did. He is the one who taught it to me.

I find it interesting that people are so easily swayed by group think. Would you like to hear a personal story about how I learned about group think at a very early age? If not, I will not relate it.

reports are not facts as you quite rightly pointed out. Any report on here which is not true is quickly debunked, with research and a bit of general knowledge on where to look, it is not difficult to find out the correct information.

But to say no facts can be presented in the digital world is completely untrue,

People have always been swayed by group thinking, be it within a family circle, social or media influence. Not sure where this 3 day thing has come from though.

Ok, as long as its not too long winded (I get bored quite quickly) then relate your story to me.

listening.gif

As humans everything anyone says or does or dosent say or do effects us in some way if we realize it or not.

Yeah, there is indeed the phenomonon of general semantics. I have to agree with you.

reports are not facts as you quite rightly pointed out. Any report on here which is not true is quickly debunked, with research and a bit of general knowledge on where to look, it is not difficult to find out the correct information.

But to say no facts can be presented in the digital world is completely untrue,

People have always been swayed by group thinking, be it within a family circle, social or media influence. Not sure where this 3 day thing has come from though.

Ok, as long as its not too long winded (I get bored quite quickly) then relate your story to me.

listening.gif

I don't read debunkers. Not likely to in the future. I have a different way of assessing what is truth and what is not.

I was in the 7th grade in a small rural american school. My class had maybe 16 opr 17 people in it. It was assumed by all that every girl was to at least try out for cheerleader. I went along with that without thinking. As it got closer to the time to try out, it circulated among us girls that all those who tried out for cheerleader could not speak to this one person, another girl who, with foresight, did NOT go out for cheerleaders. So for a while, this person did not have friends among the girls. It didn't help that she was Korean by genetics and the rest of us were white. I thought about it and thought about it. If that is the kind of behavior that happens if you want to be cheerleader, I no longer wanted to be one. Someone else was making up a senseless rule that all others followed. From that day on, I did my own thinking about things. Sometimes I am wrong. Sometimes I am right. Sometimes there was no wrong or right to a situation. But to this very day, that person we couldn't speak to in the 7th grade is my very best of friends. From then on, since the 7th grade, I did not engage in group think. I still don't. I am and will forever be alert to the negative side to group think.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 1

Okay after reading this study I do have some criticisms of it.

1: First one being that this is a Chinese study done on people in china. For this study it is important because the culture in china is alot more group think then it is in the west. So i wonder if that has any effect.

2: My other criticism is that they tested this by having people rate attractiveness of the opposite sex with pictures. The problem I have with that is that judging someones attractiveness is not exactly a principle people hold close to their heart. So I also wonder if that has an effect because people are probably more likely to change and compromise views that are not held strongly.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

Not to mention in general people don't like to be the outcasts they would rather fall inline with the majority even if there beliefs are not the same.

Even in the sciences, groupthink can be a hinderment.

"Scientists, according to Kuhn, do not think empirically, advancing from one experimentally proven fact to another as they built an edifice of knowledge piece by piece. Their thinking was dominated by broad, sweeping paradigms they shared with their fellow scientists. These paradigms enabled them to ask questions and make sense of their observations and findings, but made them cognitively incapable of accepting a different paradigm."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/psychohistory/201207/group-think

• Like 2

Yeah, there is indeed the phenomonon of general semantics. I have to agree with you.

I don't read debunkers. Not likely to in the future. I have a different way of assessing what is truth and what is not.

I was in the 7th grade in a small rural american school. My class had maybe 16 opr 17 people in it. It was assumed by all that every girl was to at least try out for cheerleader. I went along with that without thinking. As it got closer to the time to try out, it circulated among us girls that all those who tried out for cheerleader could not speak to this one person, another girl who, with foresight, did NOT go out for cheerleaders. So for a while, this person did not have friends among the girls. It didn't help that she was Korean by genetics and the rest of us were white. I thought about it and thought about it. If that is the kind of behavior that happens if you want to be cheerleader, I no longer wanted to be one. Someone else was making up a senseless rule that all others followed. From that day on, I did my own thinking about things. Sometimes I am wrong. Sometimes I am right. Sometimes there was no wrong or right to a situation. But to this very day, that person we couldn't speak to in the 7th grade is my very best of friends. From then on, since the 7th grade, I did not engage in group think. I still don't. I am and will forever be alert to the negative side to group think.

This sounds like a classic case of school bullying and the girl making up the senseless rules the leader. This unfortunately does happen in many schools, but the reason why others follow is not because they always think its right, its because they are weak and scared of being left out like the Korean girl.

But this kind of influence is different from the influence fashion or religion or the media have, there is a difference between being bullied to follow something or someone to following it or them out of your choice because you like it or its ideas.

You did the right thing though, you chose not to be influenced by the bullies.

Even in the sciences, groupthink can be a hinderment.

"Scientists, according to Kuhn, do not think empirically, advancing from one experimentally proven fact to another as they built an edifice of knowledge piece by piece. Their thinking was dominated by broad, sweeping paradigms they shared with their fellow scientists. These paradigms enabled them to ask questions and make sense of their observations and findings, but made them cognitively incapable of accepting a different paradigm."

http://www.psycholog...207/group-think

Very good point.

This sounds like a classic case of school bullying and the girl making up the senseless rules the leader. This unfortunately does happen in many schools, but the reason why others follow is not because they always think its right, its because they are weak and scared of being left out like the Korean girl.

But this kind of influence is different from the influence fashion or religion or the media have, there is a difference between being bullied to follow something or someone to following it or them out of your choice because you like it or its ideas.

You did the right thing though, you chose not to be influenced by the bullies.

Actually, I think what really happened was that the person who created that rule lived with an alcoholic mother. This girl was cruel and frantic to be popular, maybe at her mother's insistance. She ended up being an alcoholic herself. BTW, she was never really popular. She just followed the popular people around. I think she was cheerleader for one year, in middle school.

I think calling it bullying is rather simplistic, not that I am calling you simplistic or that your thoughts are, for they are not, ... obviously. I think I abstracted, put a middle into the relating of my experience, without adding the beginning and ending. I think I am not the only one that learned the lesson. The supposed creater of the rule was pushed to the edges of being popular. Others began to see what she was about, began seeing that there were people who didn't admire that kind of behavior and stopped allowing her to lead the group think. Most of the popular girls in our class were nice people really. In fact, our entire class was nice. Not a bad person, other than the one who scrambled to be popular, in the bunch. She was pretty controlled in cruelty because the popular people wouldn't put up with it. In our class, there were druggies, who I hung out with, even tho I didn't do drugs or drink. There were popular people. My best friend to this day was a druggie, not now, is very, very successful in advertizing.

Okay after reading this study I do have some criticisms of it.

1: First one being that this is a Chinese study done on people in china. For this study it is important because the culture in china is alot more group think then it is in the west. So i wonder if that has any effect.

2: My other criticism is that they tested this by having people rate attractiveness of the opposite sex with pictures. The problem I have with that is that judging someones attractiveness is not exactly a principle people hold close to their heart. So I also wonder if that has an effect because people are probably more likely to change and compromise views that are not held strongly.

That is interesting too. Will have to consider what this means in light of the culture there.

I have heard, and am not at all meaning to be factual about this, that in China, your (hypothetically) views on the world are laced with the premise that you are related to this person or that person and how you are related to that person, that you have a responsiblity to be concerned with the needs of those who are related to you. Is that accurate? I don't know. But it certainly would influence group think if it is accurate.

Edited by regeneratia

Actually, I think what really happened was that the person who created that rule lived with an alcoholic mother. This girl was cruel and frantic to be popular, maybe at her mother's insistance. She ended up being an alcoholic herself. BTW, she was never really popular. She just followed the popular people around. I think she was cheerleader for one year, in middle school.

I think calling it bullying is rather simplistic, not that I am calling you simplistic or that your thoughts are, for they are not, ... obviously. I think I abstracted, put a middle into the relating of my experience, without adding the beginning and ending. I think I am not the only one that learned the lesson. The supposed creater of the rule was pushed to the edges of being popular. Others began to see what she was about, began seeing that there were people who didn't admire that kind of behavior and stopped allowing her to lead the group think. Most of the popular girls in our class were nice people really. In fact, our entire class was nice. Not a bad person, other than the one who scrambled to be popular, in the bunch. She was pretty controlled in cruelty because the popular people wouldn't put up with it. In our class, there were druggies, who I hung out with, even tho I didn't do drugs or drink. There were popular people. My best friend to this day was a druggie, not now, is very, very successful in advertizing.

There is another example of people being influenced by groups, those who start taking drugs because their friends do. Wonder how much thinking went through their minds to whether they should or should not go down that route. You did not go down that route, but you have seen first hand how it happens. But you also have seen that these group influences lasted more than 3 days.

There is another example of people being influenced by groups, those who start taking drugs because their friends do. Wonder how much thinking went through their minds to whether they should or should not go down that route. You did not go down that route, but you have seen first hand how it happens. But you also have seen that these group influences lasted more than 3 days.

I would have to do some more thinking on this, but you could be right.

Just have to point out that in the study the influence for three days was all from one moment. The example you give would be constant moments of influence. making alot longer then three days.

Just have to point out that in the study the influence for three days was all from one moment. The example you give would be constant moments of influence. making alot longer then three days.

I do not understand why they did this study, they may as well have done a study on first impressions. Its not a group norm, unless its based on the group sitting together for 3 days and then going their separate ways after, which means there is no longer a group. As in the title: people do change their own personal judgments so that they fall in line with the group norm, but the change only seems to last about three days.

• Like 2

I do not understand why they did this study, they may as well have done a study on first impressions. Its not a group norm, unless its based on the group sitting together for 3 days and then going their separate ways after, which means there is no longer a group. As in the title: people do change their own personal judgments so that they fall in line with the group norm, but the change only seems to last about three days.

What I take out of the study, is that people in a group tend towards a common perception of relative values, assuming an almost 'hive' mentality, but when taken out of the group gradually reassert their individuality over the course of 3 days.

It's a study of 'mob mentality'.

• Like 1

The 3 day part also troubles me.

Essentially, the dynamics described in this report are part of what we call "mob mentality", pack mentality in canines.

• Like 1