Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Early human ancestors were ‘aquatic apes’

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,266 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 16 May 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

Cormac gee maybe I don`t understand:),but how can they compare a hair growing gene that  supposely went dorment in parts of our bodies  to  the chimpanzees and in the Neaderthals to 1,2million years ago when hair still grows. The Neaderthals were only about 40,000 years ago, how do we know they were as hairless as us?

It's the same gene expressed in different ways over the timeframe of the groups I mentioned previously. Meaning that it didn't just magically appear one day, it's always been there. And while Neanderthals went extinct c.40,000 BP, they and Homo sapiens diverged from their common ancestor some 500,000+ years ago. And we have the entire Neanderthal Genome to compare ours to, on top of the genome for chimpanzees since they are the closest extant primate to us. Again, the gene was there in all groups and worked the same way for much of our line. Being dormant doesn't mean being non-existant. It's also based in part on the estimated African population (since all lines ultimately originate from Africa) at the time which further explains when, how long ago and to what degree the gene is expressed.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#62    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

I first heard this theory in high school in the 80s and I think it's very plausible. Look at your nose. Unlike other 'apes' our nostrils point down, not out front. Theorists state this is so they don't fill with water when swimming.

#63    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,018 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

Well I still don`nt get it, I think we were all a bunch of hairy beings just like the apes, until we went swimming in the ocean waters.:):)

#64    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,266 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 19 May 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

Well I still don`nt get it, I think we were all a bunch of hairy beings just like the apes, until we went swimming in the ocean waters. :) :)

You're entitled to believe what you want. The evidence however suggests otherwise.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#65    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,472 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

Aquatics were thought to be extinct , until pods were spotted on the Florida coast.

Pod of female aquatics performing a courting ritual to attract male aquatics > Attached File  aquatics.jpg   30.76K   4 downloads

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#66    marc verhaegen

marc verhaegen

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

Humans didn’t descend from aquatic apes, of course, although our ancestors were too slow & heavy for regular running over open plains as some anthropologists still believe.
Instead, Pleistocene Homo populations simply followed the coasts & rivers in Africa & Eurasia. 800,000 years ago, they even reached Flores more than 18 km overseas.
- google “econiche Homo”
- eBook “Was Man more aquatic in the past?” introd.Phillip Tobias
http://www.benthamsc...52448/index.htm
- guest post at Greg Laden’s blog
http://scienceblogs....atic-ape-theory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users