Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Living in the Country vs. the City

Careful_perspective

Hi Guys,

I have lived in the Suburbs of New York City my whole life. It is a typical suburban area, a grid of houses with small parks and retail complexes.

752931_525_350_w.jpg

Something like this. Where everyone is living on top of each other, one town is right next to one another.

This is all I know, and I am just curious, people who have moved from a city/suburban area to a rural/farm/country/small town or vice versa. What are the differences, what do you like more?

And for those of you have always been happy in the country, or always been happy in an urban setting, what makes you love it so much?

I am just looking for opinions, different perspectives.

• Like 2

I was born in the country, and then I moved a lot due to my parents job. Usually to cities, big and small. Right now, I live in a city, nor big, nor small :yes: . But I go hiking at least once a week in the woods that surround the city, and I go every two weekends to my in-laws house. They live in the wildest part of Galicia. I try to keep an equilibrium between civilization and Nature. A balance in which I try to have the best from both worlds.

• Like 4

I lived in the mountains of northern AZ for a few years in a smallish town.

The first thing that strikes you is the clean fresh taste of the air. Then I noticed a galaxy teeming with stars, swimming with celestial glory, livid with other worldly lights and refreshingly void of man-made garbage illumination.

I also almost fist fought a javelina one night while walking home....which was not the best choice I ever made but now I know I won't back down to an angry giant pig with razor sharp tusks.

But.....small towns have small economies with little opportunities......

• Like 6

I lived in the mountains of northern AZ for a few years in a smallish town.

The first thing that strikes you is the clean fresh taste of the air. Then I noticed a galaxy teeming with stars, swimming with celestial glory, livid with other worldly lights and refreshingly void of man-made garbage illumination.

I also almost fist fought a javelina one night while walking home....which was not the best choice I ever made but now I know I won't back down to an angry giant pig with razor sharp tusks.

But.....small towns have small economies with little opportunities......

Yeah that's the issue with all of this. For instance, how many stories are there of a factory closing and all the people who live in the area losing their jobs and being at a total loss.

• Like 1

Growing up i lived in two decent sized cities New Orleans and Baton Rouge La,i also grew up around a few little bayou towns.I kind of like living in a little town about 15 to 20 min outside of a city,not to far away from civilization and anything i want/need...But far enough away so i can still enjoy the stars,peace and quiet,and all around just nature itself.

• Like 4

Growing up i lived in two decent sized cities New Orleans and Baton Rouge La,i also grew up around a few little bayou towns.I kind of like living in a little town about 15 to 20 min outside of a city,not to far away from civilization and anything i want/need...But far enough away so i can still enjoy the stars,peace and quiet,and all around just nature itself.

That sounds perfect, can I come live with you?

• Like 2

That sounds perfect, can I come live with you?

Why not :lol:

Im actually about to be in the process of moving back myself,i let my little bro move into my house down there while his house was being built and i had business to take care of elsewhere...

In the country near a large city is the way to go imo, close enough to the action for work and leisure, but not around the hustle and bustle 24/7. I live in a small city down here in Florida that's 45 minutes from Miami and 20 minutes from my job. I grew up in Brooklyn so the peace and quiet took some getting used but I look forward to it now.

• Like 6

In the country near a large city is the way to go imo, close enough to the action for work and leisure, but not around the hustle and bustle 24/7. I live in a small city down here in Florida that's 45 minutes from Miami and 20 minutes from my job. I grew up in Brooklyn so the peace and quiet took some getting used but I look forward to it now.

This is very valuable to me as a fellow New Yorker

• Like 2

I was born in Brooklyn and my parents moved to Ohio when I was 6. We stayed in Ohio until I was 15 and then moved to N.E. Pa. And this is where I live now. We live in the burbs and have nothing but game lands behind our house and its great if you are a hunter which I am not but I love nature and hiking and all I have to do is go out my back door. I did that for many years but after a few operations my hiking days are over but I still love the beauty of the mountain and the wild animals that come to visit, not many Deer or Racoons any more but lots of Turkey and Black Bear. The Coyotes are getting bolder and coming closer and closer to the homes in our neighborhood. I visit relatives in Brooklyn but the country is home for me...

• Like 6

This is the perfect situation as far as I'm concerned. I live in the suburbs, inside the city limits, and the houses a far enough apart where we have some privacy. We have the best of both worlds because our property is adjacent to a huge national park which is our back yard. There has been a lot of housing development in the farmlands on the outskirts of the city. It's amusing when they build subdivisions next to cow, pig and chicken farms. Urbanites move in and then complain about the smell. Who would've thought there was going to be a smell, noise and flies? :lol:

• Like 6

I was born and raised in the 'burbs on the east side of Seattle. In my mid-20s, I went full rural and moved out to one is the islands off the coast of Washington... No way on and off except by ferry, or I could drive 65 miles north and take the bridge and then drive 65 miles south to be back in civilization. Haha. And I've lived in a large city, which is where I'm at now. My preference is the city, and by a very wide margin at that, my least favorite is rural, I hate living in rural areas. I actually never felt such a lack of privacy as when I lived on the island. And it was BORING.

Here in the city, there's plenty to do, everything is walking distance, work is close by, and people are friendly, but never prying into my personal business.

The burbs are a mix of the two I guess.

I'm a city girl through and through.

• Like 3

I think if your younger you will seek out the thrill of the city life but as you age the country is where it's at. I am not good in crowds and I like the slower pace of country living.

• Like 4

I think if your younger you will seek out the thrill of the city life but as you age the country is where it's at. I am not good in crowds and I like the slower pace of country living.

That's sort of how I am starting to feel. I like the ease of living somewhere where like, I can go and buy anything I need at any time. But even the novelty of that is wearing off. Also, Houses where I live are so expensive. Where I am considering moving, a house that is 250k would be at least 400k in NY.

• Like 4

To be fair, MissMelsWell is getting to be a pretty old fart and she still likes the city. :D

I have never liked living in close quarters to other people. I lived in apartments in town from the time I moved away from home when I was seventeen until I was twenty and couldn't wait to get my own home in the burbs.

• Like 3

I love my city! London is in my blood I guess. Born, raised and still here. I have tried a bit of rural life, but got so bored! The quiet got to me too very quickly. I must say I felt more vulnerable in the country than I have ever felt in the city.

I think I am so used to my shops being open 24-7 that I don't even really need to do a weekly shop etc. I lay in my bed at night and listen to sounds of the passing traffic, people, town foxes and the like. If I am at a loose end, I can just jump on the tube or bus, and within 15 minutes I'm in the city centre, with all the attractions it has to offer. Give me my city any day. :)

• Like 3

Born and raised in the burbs of Chicago and utterly despise it now. My lady is originally from a small rural town in Georgia and after visiting there with her I now understand why I despise suburban/city life so much. Rural life is so much slower paced and the people are so much more relaxed and kind. Its why were looking to move to a small rural town somewhere in Colorado, along with scenery.

Too bad South Park doesn't really exist. ;)

• Like 4

OMG that picture freaked me out! I used to live in suburbia and abit in inner city

never again! I now live in a cbin on the edge of rainforest, views to forest, escarpment waterfalls river swimming, 40 mins drive to the beach, which can be footprint free at 11 am on Sunday morning mid summer, and and and .

never go back to ...... that !

Me belong here :

r908325_9302391.jpg

blue-gum-glennifer-water-hole.jpg

Just up the road ;

Lush+rainforest+towers+Crystal+Shower+Falls.jpg

overview:

north-beach.jpg

Our place has lots of room, empty houses, caravan sites (with a roof in situ for a caravan and an attached verandah ) and camp sites. We charge $30 a week site fees (in town it is $20 a night site fees) and staying long term, a bit of lawn mowing your area and keeping it tidy is required.

No one seems interested ... I live in a virtual ghost town at the moment. people complain about the $30 and the commonly expected rental property minimal garden care :cry: shrug%2B(1).gif

• Like 5

OMG that picture freaked me out! I used to live in suburbia and abit in inner city

never again! I now live in a cbin on the edge of rainforest, views to forest, escarpment waterfalls river swimming, 40 mins drive to the beach, which can be footprint free at 11 am on Sunday morning mid summer, and and and .

Me belong here :

r908325_9302391.jpg

Just up the road ;

overview:

north-beach.jpg

Our place has lots of room, empty houses, caravan sites (with a roof in situ for a caravan and an attached verandah ) and camp sites. We charge $30 a week site fees (in town it is $20 a night site fees) and staying long term, a bit of lawn mowing your area and keeping it tidy is required.

No one seems interested ... I live in a virtual ghost town at the moment. people complain about the $30 and the commonly expected rental property minimal garden care :cry:shrug%2B(1).gif

Oh wow, am I jealous! THAT is where the lady and I need to live. The scenery is amazing and I can only imagine how clean the air must be.

I grew up in the country. We had to ride our bikes 10+ miles to the closest place we could buy a candy bar, or soda. I spent countless hours in the woods, and streams. I had a lot of peace in those days. I'd like to retire somewhere quiet and wooded in a couple decades... or move to the Moon.

Now I live in the burbs, but we do have a 2 acre section of government owned woods right behind the house, so my daughter gets to climb trees and pick wild flowers right next door. True, the city does not prevent climbing of trees, or picking of flowers, but generally when your yard is smaller then your driveway, the plants are few and far between. And the city doesn't really like people in their trees. Insurance reasons I am told.

I grew up here....

post-26883-0-62236300-1421563741_thumb.j

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 5

Me belong here :

r908325_9302391.jpg

Just up the road ;

overview:

north-beach.jpg

No one seems interested ... I live in a virtual ghost town at the moment. people complain about the $30 and the commonly expected rental property minimal garden care :cry: shrug%2B(1).gif

If I may ask, how do you make your money then? If the town is a ghost town and all.

Oh wow, am I jealous! THAT is where the lady and I need to live. The scenery is amazing and I can only imagine how clean the air must be.

And the stars and the water ... and you should see what is over those mountains !

5604818742_aca14c6060_z.jpg

Or you could then veer north and meet people with the oldest extant culture on the planet:

( he is one of my teachers :) )

- If you ever decide to leave Uranus .....

• Like 4

If I may ask, how do you make your money then? If the town is a ghost town and all.

Oh no ... the town and general area are thriving ( $20 a night site fees in town - remember) Its my communal block that is a 'ghost town' - meaning it is large, has lots of facilities, empty accommodation and houses , people have moved away, new people dont want to stay here even though its only $30 a week ( a crappy attached garden flat in town could be $280 a week , a house up to $400 a week. ).

I mean, I dont mind, I am a hermit ... but I would have bitten my arm off for an opportunity like that when I was younger.

For income I have done a range of things: local farm work, tourist industry, cooking, a bit of nursing assistant, patient transport, even made tofu here for a while and supported myself by working 1 day a week. Other times I would go away for 3 to 9 months at a time and earn big $$$ in the film industry, and come back and live here for ages on it (its very cheap to live if rent is $30 and there is an abundance of fresh fruit and vegies on your land ) I did bamboo fencing and contract gardening for a while, sold produce (want some cucumbers ? I have a glut at the moment ) ... did tractor work; slashing internal farm road repairs and drainage,

.... I am an excellent cook and can cook cuisine from numerous cultures ... and a good masseur, so ....

There is always someone who wants to feel good :) Oh yeah .... I even did Tarot at the local markets for yeaaars on end and had a book and nepalese goods import stall there ... and I also worked for Biodynamic Agriculture Australia as the Australian organic fertiliser and BD preparations maker ( their head office was in town )

The more I write, the more I remember :)

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 2

And the stars and the water ... and you should see what is over those mountains !

5604818742_aca14c6060_z.jpg

Or you could then veer north and meet people with the oldest extant culture on the planet:

( he is one of my teachers :) )

- If you ever decide to leave Uranus .....

If I had the money to make such a move, I would be there. The less time I spend with modern day humans, the better off I am and a setting like that would be perfect.

Oh well, one can dream right?

• Like 2