Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Family experiences

Malalhaialayxz

So, has any member of your family had any paranormal experiences? My mom once claimed she saw a hellhound standing at the door of a church when she was taking a stroll downtown with a friend of hers. She pointed to it but her friend said she didn't see anything, but mom still claimed it was there, and she was the only one who could see it. She described it as a huge dog with blood-red eyes, a rabid-looking mouth and a very angry face. After mom's demise, my father has had certain experiences. He once told me he felt like his foot was being grabbed by an unseen presence.

• Like 2

Never had any paranormal experiences, sorry.

not only family but friends ~ too many to mention and not one verifiable with gadgets and gizmos ... that's the way and manner it used to be ~ the more you offer proof the more untenable it becomes ~

not only family but friends ~ too many to mention and not one verifiable with gadgets and gizmos ... that's the way and manner it used to be ~ the more you offer proof the more untenable it becomes ~

Errr.. what? Those two bits I have bolded seem to be completely contradictory! Can you explain what you mean?

The best story in my family relates to my now deceased Dad, near the end of WWII. His sister (my aunt, also now deceased) said she recorded in her diary when she awoke screaming from a terrifying dream she had of my Dad nearly drowning and having to swim for his life. My Uncle verified it (but he was a very kindly sorta guy so I'm not sure that's important!), but.. they never showed me or anyone else afaik that diary entry...

Anyway, it was some days later that they found out he was in service on a ship that sank on the same night, and he had to swim underwater for his life, eventually being rescued from the sea some hours later. All this happened about two thousand miles away from where my Aunt and Uncle lived on their farm, and the incident happened within an hour of when my Aunt woke up screaming and recorded it in the diary. So they said anyway.

T'was a very cool story (there's a bit more to it that lends it more cred.. plus these were very homely farming folk who did NOT publicise this outside the family) and at times I do wonder, even tho I'm a diehard skeptic..

• Like 1

Errr.. what? Those two bits I have bolded seem to be completely contradictory! Can you explain what you mean?

The best story in my family relates to my now deceased Dad, near the end of WWII. His sister (my aunt, also now deceased) said she recorded in her diary when she awoke screaming from a terrifying dream she had of my Dad nearly drowning and having to swim for his life. My Uncle verified it (but he was a very kindly sorta guy so I'm not sure that's important!), but.. they never showed me or anyone else afaik that diary entry...

Anyway, it was some days later that they found out he was in service on a ship that sank on the same night, and he had to swim underwater for his life, eventually being rescued from the sea some hours later. All this happened about two thousand miles away from where my Aunt and Uncle lived on their farm, and the incident happened within an hour of when my Aunt woke up screaming and recorded it in the diary. So they said anyway.

T'was a very cool story (there's a bit more to it that lends it more cred.. plus these were very homely farming folk who did NOT publicise this outside the family) and at times I do wonder, even tho I'm a diehard skeptic..

You just explained the contradiction in regards to proof and the conditions where such experiences seems verifiable very well and much better than I ever could :tu:

THings like this is still very much ingrained culturally in our day to day life where i am ~ there is skeptical and then there is skepticism ... it seems one and the same but when the circumstances arises which does raise certain questions it does seems to be miles apart ~

~

• Like 1

Took me a while to dig this one up but its one of my favorite famous 'dreams'

When Alighieri passed away in 1321, a section of the “Divine Comedy” script was lost. The portion of written work could not be found anywhere. Later, Alighieri’s son found the missing piece of transcript. When asked how he had located it, the son stated that his father had appeared to him in a dream and taken him to where the missing script was located. Upon awakening, he went straight to the place and discovered it to be exactly where his father had shown him in the dream.

• dream interpretation link

~

Years ago, not sure if this was paranormal but I never forget, one day I drove home with my son, just picked him up from school and while driving up the driveway we both noticed mom on the front porch feeding our barn cats, not really thinking anything of it because feeding the cats was something done routinely. By the time we both entered the porch to go in inside we noticed mom was gone.

Once inside we found mom having a nap in the family room, she appeared to be in a deep sleep. Up to today we still question ourselves how it was possible to see her on the front porch while she was actually inside having sweet dreams.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know. Most experiences seem so ambiguous ... I experienced sleep paralysis, several times, some years ago when I was pregnant. It was frightening, but it never occurred to me that it was anything other than a natural phenomenon. I was very surprised to discover that many people think these are paranormal events. In my case, I only experienced the sleep paralysis on a couple of occasions. I thought it was pregnancy-linked, due to hormones changing and disrupting the natural rhythms of my body. On the 'weird' side is the fact that I only ever experienced them in one house, and only when I was sleeping in one particular room, at that (in the living room, on the sofa). as previously noted, I was also pregnant with my only child, so it could have been that too.

Except ... I moved when I was about four months pregnant, and never experienced the episodes ever again. EXCEPT to the first exception, my circumstances also changed significantly when I moved, reducing a tremendous amount of pressure, so it could very well have been a combination of major changes in my physical and psychological circumstances that led to disruptions in my sleep patterns to begin with.

I have been looking more inside, becoming more spiritually aware over the last couple of years, since my father died, and I have seen clear physical manifestations (to me) as 'signs' that I requested. On at least one occasion, the sign I requested and received seemed to fly in the face of the natural order of things. However, it was not completely physically impossible. So, that's my long answer to a short question! I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.