Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

India to launch Mars mission this year

Waspie_Dwarf

India to launch Mars mission this year: President

NEW DELHI India will launch its first space mission to Mars this year, President Pranab Mukherjee said on Thursday.

"Several space missions are planned for 2013, including India's first mission to Mars and the launch of our first navigational satellite," Mukherjee said in his maiden address to the joint sitting of Parliament at the start of the Budget session.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Forgive the sarcasm, but I suspect it will be far easier for India, or any country, to foster colonization of Mars than to convince people not to procreate at rates that outstrip the Earth's environment. I might further speculate, that in a civilization's growth, there may be only a brief period of time between where planetary colonization is possible before the monetary and environmental stresses of overpopulation may make this economically impossible. So, go for it while you can.

• Like 1

I suspect it will be far easier for India, or any country, to foster colonization of Mars than to convince people not to procreate at rates that outstrip the Earth's environment.

I'm not entirely sure what a small, scientific, robotic probe to another planet has to do with colonisation, overpopulation or the Earth's environment.

What it does signify is the emergence of India from developing nation into a scientific and economic superpower.

• Like 1

This is India taking its place as a superpower -- probably some time in the next century, but we see the beginnings now. We need to reform the Security Council to take France and Britain off and put India and Japan on.

Nice to see they spend all their international aid wisely.

I knew someone would make this remark, someone always does. OK some facts for you.

India's space programme has been used to launch communications satellites, which have allowed every village in India to have a tv. This enables information and education to be beamed to even the most remote locations.

India's space programme has been used to launch Earth resources satellites which have been able to locate resources, plot crop diseases and improve the wealth and agriculture of the nation.

In producing scientific satellites India has been able to improve the scientific capabilities of the nation, producing more jobs and helping the nation's economy to the point where it is calculated that it will be the 3rd largest economy on the planet by 2030.

Yes, India has spent their money extraordinarily wisely.

• Like 3

I knew someone would make this remark, someone always does. OK some facts for you.

India's space programme has been used to launch communications satellites, which have allowed every village in India to have a tv. This enables information and education to be beamed to even the most remote locations.

India's space programme has been used to launch Earth resources satellites which have been able to locate resources, plot crop diseases and improve the wealth and agriculture of the nation.

In producing scientific satellites India has been able to improve the scientific capabilities of the nation, producing more jobs and helping the nation's economy to the point where it is calculated that it will be the 3rd largest economy on the planet by 2030.

Yes, India has spent their money extraordinarily wisely.

I totally agree with you and it is good to see that their decisions have been logical and effective to most extent.

In my opinion such things as space programs and all should be funded and handled internationally because in a way what we are sending in space is a representation of the planet Earth not some piece of land on it, unless you want to show off to people and nations on this planet earth.

I mean this should not be our priority, if we fund space programs internationally (all nations contributions) we could actually make some revolutionary things with the help of all the scientists all over the world.

We are limiting our capabilities because of land constrains. (I know there are cultural constrains, political constrains and many other things but I am speaking as a whole for planet Earth and our species).

I know it sounds very difficult due to all the constrains and conflicts (its a long story), but it would be most effective way for our planet to progress as a whole.

Edited by Twinkle Arora is back

This is India taking its place as a superpower -- probably some time in the next century, but we see the beginnings now. We need to reform the Security Council to take France and Britain off and put India and Japan on.

Sure, and we'll throw Germany onto the council too - they are the economic powerhouse of western europe. Oh wait, I don't think the other powers will like your idea :whistle:

I don't think Germany will ever be a serious candidate. The thing is, the present situation is steadily rendering the Security Council less and less relevant.

If France and Britain and Germany were to go on the Council, then no doubt Indonesia and Brazil and S. Africa and who knows who else should too. This might work if the veto were restricted.

Ok Waspie_Dwarf what is more important, saving your countries children from death by malnutrition or sending a small and insignificant probe to Mars and leting everyone have access to mobile phones (that the needy can’t afford and don’t need).

Gosh it’s a close call if you have your priorities wrong.

• Like 1

Its funny that they got money for nukes and billion dollar spacecraft trips to mars but 90% of their people are in poverty, especially aboriginals.

• Like 2

WTF ? Man have they got their priorities wrong. :td:

• Like 1

=============================================================================

What will they be watching? adverts and FOOD programmes? Boy, they really have got their priorities mixed up! T.v before food and education for the villages??

Is that how they are going to educate their children? with t.v`s?

How about SCHOOLS and FOOD first???? Thats what I thought our aid was going to them for!!

ps: are they going to have a satellite system on MARS for the t.v`s???

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

I'm not entirely sure what a small, scientific, robotic probe to another planet has to do with colonisation, overpopulation or the Earth's environment.

What it does signify is the emergence of India from developing nation into a scientific and economic superpower.

Caller: "I'm having a problem with my Verizon account"

Sahib from India: "I'm sorry sir, please call again when I actually care."

• Like 1

Maybe the martians offered them a call centre. lol :yes:

• Like 1

Maybe the martians offered them a call centre. lol :yes:

yep, they offered it to India but we have had to pay for it!

Too bad they can't make safe mountain roads. As shown on Ice Road Truckers.

Indeed, but Mars has significance as the only planet we currently know of that could potentially support human colonization. The selection of Mars is paramount to putting India into that venue. The early colonists will establish the cultural mores. This assures continuity of culture, and of course a civilization, when an apocalyptic event occurs on Earth. A robotic probe may be a small first step but with the potential for far reaching consequences for a country with vision.

"some have argued that the country should be spending money on their problems here on Earth before investing it in endeavors elsewhere."

In all fairness this could be said of other countries.

"some have argued that the country should be spending money on their problems here on Earth before investing it in endeavors elsewhere."

In all fairness this could be said of other countries.

The UK has given billions to India, we still have t.v programmes showing the plight of the poor, we still have adverts asking us to donate money for the starving. I do not see any of the African countries which have been receiving aid for the starving using aid money to build spacecrafts and all the other billions involved to sent these up!

In all fairness, it can not be said of other countries too.

What a joke. Most of the country is in poverty, no food, running water, etc etc. So many social problems in the country and they want to invest in going to Mars?

Fix your country first, then try to be a player on the World scene.

What a joke. Most of the country is in poverty, no food, running water, etc etc. So many social problems in the country and they want to invest in going to Mars?

Fix your country first, then try to be a player on the World scene.

the future is in space. if we waste all our time and resources fixing everything here, we might not have the resources left to go into space. therefore the sooner we "explore and expand" the better.

• Like 1