Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientists seek help naming Pluto's moons

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,011 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Astronomers have discovered two new moons around the distant dwarf planet within the last two years.

NBC News said:

The discoverers of Pluto's fourth and fifth moons are letting Internet users have a say in what they should be named, by throwing the question open for a non-binding advisory vote.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,226 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Personally, I like Minnie and Mickey.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#3    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,191 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

augustus gloop

#4    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,547 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

So if it's got Moons, surely that qualifies it as a proper Planet again? A lot of people I know have been very unhappy about that.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,555 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I said it before... Since it's a 'dwarf' planet now.. the moons should be named 'Sneezy' and 'Grumpy'...

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,115 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 12 February 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

So if it's got Moons, surely that qualifies it as a proper Planet again? A lot of people I know have been very unhappy about that.
Nope.

It was known that it had moons was known before the decision to reclassify it.

Many asteroids have moons, Mercury and Venus do not. The number of moons an object possesses has no bearing on it's status as a planet.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,866 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Yet alas, we earthlings are still stuck with the redundant "Moon".

#8    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,810 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 12 February 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Yet alas, we earthlings are still stuck with the redundant "Moon".

I thought he was probably the best drummer around at the time, and 'Nana' from Eastenders was quite a character!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#9    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

It's a " Mickey Mouse" planet so it's moons befit a Disneyian theme...

What a travesty there's not seven of them because we could have named them after the dwarves.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#10    Geladius

Geladius

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

LV-426

Edit: Also just realized that they have Acheron on the list which is what LV-426 in Aliens was dubbed

Edited by Geladius, 12 February 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#11    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Too bad that we can't propose a solar system poll on what to name these moons. It's times like these that make me wish we had 'otherworldly' opinions instead of constantly and only having -our- own.

Oh well, maybe one day!

I would have to say that whatever these moons are finally named, I would hope that those names are held consistently with the overall theme of what we have already named in our solar system.  Though I do think a Disney like name would be fitting and perhaps show that we do have a sense of humour. (even though we'd be the only ones to get the joke... right now...))

And to Quite Contrary's comment, I will say that I wish we didn't have a generic name for our Moon, but I'm not sure what else we could have named it.

:tu:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#12    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,555 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostAsadora, on 12 February 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Too bad that we can't propose a solar system poll on what to name these moons. It's times like these that make me wish we had 'otherworldly' opinions instead of constantly and only having -our- own.

Oh well, maybe one day!

I would have to say that whatever these moons are finally named, I would hope that those names are held consistently with the overall theme of what we have already named in our solar system.  Though I do think a Disney like name would be fitting and perhaps show that we do have a sense of humour. (even though we'd be the only ones to get the joke... right now...))

And to Quite Contrary's comment, I will say that I wish we didn't have a generic name for our Moon, but I'm not sure what else we could have named it.

:tu:

I think technically our moon is named "Luna"... but I could be wrong...

edit to add: 'generic' names reminded me of a funny sci-fi story written by Harry Harrison, - there was a galactic wide meeting of all inhabited planets, and they used a unviersal translator that was very literal in it's translations...  It turned out that everyone was from a race that named their planet "Dirt"....

Edited by Taun, 12 February 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#13    judyrad

judyrad

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

• You are not alone we are here to help!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Plutonium or pluna

#14    GreyMist

GreyMist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

What about Kerberos? Charon is already there.

#15    Major Payne

Major Payne

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Clyde and Tombaugh......He deserves it!!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.".....
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.".......quotes from Winston Churchill

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws."
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users