Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kremlin rejects U.S. missile defense proposal

questionmark

Kremlin rejects U.S. missile defense proposals

The Associated Press

Published: November 12, 2008

MOSCOW: The Kremlin has rejected a second set of U.S. proposals offered to assuage increasingly strident Russian criticism of plans for an American missile-defense system in Poland and the Czech Republic, news agencies reported Wednesday.

The Bush administration says the system would protect Europe from attacks by Iranian long-range missiles. Moscow has angrily dismissed those assertions, saying the system could eliminate Russia's nuclear deterrent or spy on its military installations.

In a major speech just hours after Barack Obama won the U.S. presidential vote, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev pledged to base short-range Iskander missiles in the Baltic Sea region of Kaliningrad on the border with Poland if the U.S. goes forward with its plans.

The Bush administration later sent Moscow a new set of proposals. Previous U.S. proposals involved, among other things, offers to allow Russia to send observers to monitor the missile defense sites. Russian and U.S. officials have not publicly disclosed the contents of the latest proposals.

Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said this weekend after meetings with U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice that the latest proposals were insufficient. On Wednesday, an unnamed Kremlin official told Russian news agencies that Moscow was prepared to work with Washington on questions of European security. But the official accused the Bush administration of trying to limit the incoming Obama administration's choices on the issue.

"The Americans have presented us with several proposals. These proposals are inadequate, they have nothing new in them," the official said.

The Kremlin did not comment on the report.

In Brussels, the Russian ambassador to the European Union said Medvedev's speech had been intended as a signal to the Obama administration.

Full story, source: The International Herald Tribune

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• The Silver Thong

• secondhand

• stevewinn

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprising. Russia won't be happy until the missile plan is scrapped completely and the US backs off of Eastern Europe.

Wonder what the reaction will be like when Russia puts there missles in Venezuela. The missle shield will weaken Russia's front lines, I would be pretty nervous about having American missles so close aswell.

Wonder what the reaction will be like when Russia puts there missles in Venezuela. The missle shield will weaken Russia's front lines, I would be pretty nervous about having American missles so close aswell.

Well, they are working with the Cubans to put up some "aerial defense" batteries...whatever that means...

In other news, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev complained about discomfort in his rectum. He later realised it was Putin's hand, the silly little puppet.

In other news, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev complained about discomfort in his rectum. He later realised it was Putin's hand, the silly little puppet.

Funny but so true, Putin scares, I wouldn't want to go toe to toe with the guy lol

I can understand why Russia has the hump with the Defence shield. in related news. The US is urging NATO members to accept Ukraine has a member. France and Germany are against it and so am i. We cant keep adding mickey mouse countries to the alliance because its in the interest of US foreign policy.

I can understand why Russia has the hump with the Defence shield. in related news. The US is urging NATO members to accept Ukraine has a member. France and Germany are against it and so am i. We cant keep adding mickey mouse countries to the alliance because its in the interest of US foreign policy.

Well, see it this way...if NATO is transformed from a military alliance to a US hegemony instrument we won't have to worry about it soon ... it will just degenerate into a debating club.