Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Fossil Diatoms FOUND in Metoer Rock Matrix

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#46    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,360 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostHazzard, on 22 January 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

Wow, I totally missed that,...this is incredible news, when was this!?

It's been a while, I am surprised that you missed out on that one. The aliens call themselves Congress and they are still working with the White House on a communications protocol that actually works.....

Cheers,
Badeskov

Edited by badeskov, 22 January 2013 - 08:45 AM.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#47    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 22 January 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

The aliens call themselves Congress and they are still working with the White House on a communications protocol that actually works.....

Cheers,
Badeskov

So not within our lifetime then.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#48    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

" A peer review of this report would be nice..... not just from his Journal of Cosmology buddies (see hazz last post)..... but from other scientists. If it passes the most brutal examination.... then we can pop the champagne.
"

Maybe they confused peer review with BEER review? ;-)

*hik* yEs weeeee f-f-founD trrrrracE of LIFE in teh medeoride *hik* .........

#49    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,238 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostHazzard, on 22 January 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

Wow, I totally missed that,...this is incredible news, when was this!?

Roswell UFO Crash of 1940 of course.

#50    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,339 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

The article linked below adds some interesting details to the account of the discovery of the Polannaruwa meteorite. The fragments were reported to be smoking, and still hot enough to burn the hands of those who tried to collect them. Dr. Wickramasinghe explains that the object was determined to have the correct proportion of carbon to be a carbonaceous chondrite meteorite. He proposes to do further testing of the specimen he has, and to publish his findings in a recognized, peer-reviewed scientific journal in the near future. http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

Edited by bison, 22 January 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#51    SwampgasBalloonBoy

SwampgasBalloonBoy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

View Postbison, on 22 January 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

The article linked below adds some interesting details to the account of the discovery of the Polannaruwa meteorite. The fragments were reported to be smoking, and still hot enough to burn the hands of those who tried to collect them. Dr. Wickramasinghe explains that the object was determined to have the correct proportion of carbon to be a carbonaceous chondrite meteorite. He proposes to do further testing of the specimen he has, and to publish his findings in a recognized, peer-reviewed scientific journal in the near future. http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

To be continued....see, it's not nice to jump to conclusion like the blogger did without enough evidence. Should be a good lesson for da skeptics

#52    3.0

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

If they can clearly identify the fossil, to something like we have on earth;  then how is it extraterrestrial?  Maybe it was blasted into space from  earth, and finally made it back.  However, DNA that doesn't match anything on earth would be alien!

#53    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,339 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

View Post3.0, on 23 January 2013 - 05:27 AM, said:

If they can clearly identify the fossil, to something like we have on earth;  then how is it extraterrestrial?  Maybe it was blasted into space from  earth, and finally made it back.  However, DNA that doesn't match anything on earth would be alien!
Dr. Wickramasinghe explains that several of the diatoms found in the meteorite have been looked at by experts, and can not be identified as species from Earth. The biologist consulted by Dr. Plait thought that they looked like Earth diatoms, but did not specify any particular species. He was apparently working from the published photographs, alone. These, of course, do not tell the whole story. I do not believe that any DNA will have been preserved, if the diatoms are fossilized, as has been reported.

#54    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,265 posts

• Question everything

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

View Postbison, on 23 January 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

Dr. Wickramasinghe explains that several of the diatoms found in the meteorite have been looked at by experts, and can not be identified as species from Earth. The biologist consulted by Dr. Plait thought that they looked like Earth diatoms, but did not specify any particular species. He was apparently working from the published photographs, alone. These, of course, do not tell the whole story. I do not believe that any DNA will have been preserved, if the diatoms are fossilized, as has been reported.

Known species. According to wiki, "It is estimated that there are approximately 100,000 extant species."  One questions why they would need to estimate. Possibly something to do with the fact that the things are microscopic and literally everywhere so that the prospect of our having found all of these extant species is rather unlikely. If they are fossilized, that raises the further possibility that they are of a previously unknown extinct species.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#55    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

They are not even sure the rock came from space.... I mean, what the hell!!!

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#56    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostFenderJazzBass, on 18 January 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

http://journalofcosm...nnaruwaRRRR.pdf

Sorry too excited to spell properly. Can someone edit the title of this post for spelling ?
Wow,I had not seen this before.
That's amazing .

Miss me?

#57    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 24 January 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

That's amazing .

And what about now, when you have read the rest of the thread?

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#58    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,339 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Some writers and publications have taken to charging, or repeating the charge, that Dr. Wickramasinghe is a 'fringe scientist'. As the context of these remarks makes clear, the intent is critical and dismissive. They are not commending him for working at the edge of what is known, and seeking to expand scientific knowledge. I thought it might be interesting to look up the doctor's curriculum vitae, resume, honors, publications, and accomplishments. Here is a link to a summary of this impressive lifetime of scientific endeavor:
http://www.buckingha...wickramasinghe/

Edited by bison, 24 January 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#59    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

View Postbison, on 24 January 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Some writers and publications have taken to charging, or repeating the charge, that Dr. Wickramasinghe is a 'fringe scientist'. As the context of these remarks makes clear, the intent is critical and dismissive. They are not commending him for working at the edge of what is known, and seeking to expand scientific knowledge. I thought it might be interesting to look up the doctor's curriculum vitae, resume, honors, publications, and accomplishments. Here is a link to a summary of this impressive lifetime of scientific endeavor:
http://www.buckingha...wickramasinghe/

Well if your mentor was Hoyle, you would probably be regarded as somewhat eccentric, or even fringe yourself! A Nobel Prize winner who cannot believe the Big Bang. Hoyle compared the random emergence of even the simplest cell without panspermia to the likelihood that "a tornado sweeping through a junk-yard might assemble a Boeing 747 from the materials therein." Hoyle thought that Abiogenesis was a complete crock, and pushed Panspermia himself, as such, Wickramasinghe seems destined to follow that path that he has. Not sure how the chicken and the egg question goes with Panspermia myself.

Hoyle was regarded a bit nutty at times to, but nobody doubted that he was quite a brilliant man. Still one would be lying if they refused to liken Wickramasinghe to Chicken Little. He does see Panspermia everywhere he looks.

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 24 January 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

That's amazing .

It will be very amazing.

If the rock is actually from space.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#60    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,771 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostFenderJazzBass, on 18 January 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

http://journalofcosm...nnaruwaRRRR.pdf

Sorry too excited to spell properly. Can someone edit the title of this post for spelling ?

Two points:

1.  How many significant scientific discoveries have been made after THIRTEEN DAYS of study?

2.  The Journal of Cosmology is a joke.  It's really nothing more than a blog for believers in fringe science.

http://en.wikipedia....al_of_Cosmology

When it shows up in Science or Nature, give me a call.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users