Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 4 votes

Cell phone in 1928?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

• Understand this... You will never understand it...

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:15 AM

I just saw this and I think it's incredible! What do you think?

Covered on CNN

"Quid pro quo, yes or no Clarice?"
"A census taker once tried to test me, I ate his liver, with some fava beans and a nice Chianti... Fsh fsh fsh fsh!"
"You fly back to school now little Starling! Fly fly fly! Fly fly fly..."
"What did Miggs say to you? Multiple Miggs in the next cell, he hissed at you, what did he say?"
"Of each and everything ask what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?"

#2    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:15 AM

Antique hearing aid.
Posted Image

Edited by Hasina, 09 October 2012 - 01:16 AM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#3    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:18 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

Antique hearing aid.
Doubtful, considering that antuiqe hearing aids were big horns in the ear designed to funnel in sound waves. This was much more compact, and as you can see she was speaking into it.

"A census taker once tried to test me, I ate his liver, with some fava beans and a nice Chianti... Fsh fsh fsh fsh!"
"What did Miggs say to you? Multiple Miggs in the next cell, he hissed at you, what did he say?"
"Of each and everything ask what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?"

#4    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

Posted a picture to compare.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#5    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

Posted a picture to compare.
No, sorry. It's still too large and it still does not explain why she was speaking into the device.

#6    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

You assume she's speaking into it because there's a black area where her mouth is, maybe she just has her mouth open, maybe it's part of the hearing aid. And there's no comparison size of the hearing aid in the bottom image to a human head, one moment while I do find one.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#7    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

You assume she's speaking into it because there's a black area where her mouth is, maybe she just has her mouth open, maybe it's part of the hearing aid. And there's no comparison size of the hearing aid in the bottom image to a human head, one moment while I do find one.
No, the fact that she stops and clearly moves her mouth as she smiles whilst talking is a clear indicator to the fact that she is not using a hearing aid. If all you see is a black spot then you either need to update your graphics drivers/card, or consider getting your eyes examined because she is clearly speaking.

Not to mention the fact that the shape would be wrong. If you look then you could maybe see a curvature in the device at her ear, but if you look at the curve on the device then you can see that it is on the opposite side, I don't think she would be trying to hear the birds and talk to herself.

Edited by AngelsShadow, 09 October 2012 - 01:28 AM.

#8    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

Eh, this link works pretty well: http://w1.hearing.si...s.jsp?year=1924

Posted Image

~MEH~

#9    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

View PostAngelsShadow, on 09 October 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

No, the fact that she stops and clearly moves her mouth as she smiles whilst talking is a clear indicator to the fact that she is not using a hearing aid. If all you see is a black spot then you either need to update your graphics drivers/card, or consider getting your eyes examined because she is clearly speaking.

Not to mention the fact that the shape would be wrong. If you look then you could maybe see a curvature in the device at her ear, but if you look at the curve on the device then you can see that it is on the opposite side, I don't think she would be trying to hear the birds and talk to herself.
Old hard of hearing lady could just be old.
'If she's just using a hearing aid, why does she also appear to be talking into it? The obvious answer is that she's just chattering to herself, or perhaps trying to get the attention of someone around her. But she's probably not using a mobile phone.'
http://voices.washin...ring_aid_a.html

Posted Image

~MEH~

#10    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

Eh, this link works pretty well: http://w1.hearing.si...s.jsp?year=1924
Both of those would be 4 year models, and neither of them match the picture you gave. Not to mention the usuage of wired earphones to filter the noise, if she was using either of these then they would not be up to her ear, rather in her pocket. Quite a substantiel accomplishment, such a compact device in 1924, but clearly not the device in the video.

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

Old hard of hearing lady could just be old.
'If she's just using a hearing aid, why does she also appear to be talking into it? The obvious answer is that she's just chattering to herself, or perhaps trying to get the attention of someone around her. But she's probably not using a mobile phone.'
http://voices.washin...ring_aid_a.html
That's a little bit of a desperate ploy to prove your point, in my opinion.

#11    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

View PostAngelsShadow, on 09 October 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

Both of those would be 4 year models, and neither of them match the picture you gave. Not to mention the usuage of wired earphones to filter the noise, if she was using either of these then they would not be up to her ear, rather in her pocket. Quite a substantiel accomplishment, such a compact device in 1924, but clearly not the device in the video.
That fellow in the picture in the link is clearly holding something up to his ear, maybe he's busy cleaning his ear or something? That was one of the possible hearing aids it could be. And technology didn't move ahead as quickly as they do nowadays, there was no iHearingAid out every year. Maybe it was the only one she could afford at the time. Anyway, the footage is much too blurry to instantly make the assumption 'obviously it's a cell phone guys'.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#12    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

That fellow in the picture in the link is clearly holding something up to his ear, maybe he's busy cleaning his ear or something? That was one of the possible hearing aids it could be. And technology didn't move ahead as quickly as they do nowadays, there was no iHearingAid out every year. Maybe it was the only one she could afford at the time. Anyway, the footage is much too blurry to instantly make the assumption 'obviously it's a cell phone guys'.
Well obviously it's none of the 3 devices that have been provided. The devices on the website are too small to be the device, the one in the picture you provided is not properly shaped, being that the earpiece is on the opposite side.

#13    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostAngelsShadow, on 09 October 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

That's a little bit of a desperate ploy to prove your point, in my opinion.
Desperate? No. A dissenting opinion that makes a bit more sense then 'time traveler must have a great payment plan'? Perhaps

Posted Image

~MEH~

#14    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

View PostAngelsShadow, on 09 October 2012 - 01:35 AM, said:

Well obviously it's none of the 3 devices that have been provided. The devices on the website are too small to be the device, the one in the picture you provided is not properly shaped, being that the earpiece is on the opposite side.
Gosh willickers, you're right, that blurry shape in her hand could not be a hearing aid at all, must be a cell phone, much too large, or as you said in post 5, much too small compared to the other hearing aid image I provided. Man, those wacky time travelers sure have us 21st century folks fooled.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#15    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 01:35 AM, said:

Desperate? No. A dissenting opinion that makes a bit more sense then 'time traveler must have a great payment plan'? Perhaps
It's a little desperate to use the "old lady talking to herself" card, when she did a classic move that most cell phone users do, that is, stopping, looking in a certain direction and smiling as they speak when they hear good news. Chalking that up to "maybe she was just a crazy grandma?" IS a little bit desperate. If she was doing that back in those times then she would have been considered unstable and put in a mental institution, either that or a shut in, a common thing done to people who did that back in the 20s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users