Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 4 votes

Nurse who put Aussie prank call thru,dead


  • Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#16    rashore

rashore

    Telekinetic

  • 6,728 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostJGirl, on 07 December 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

i read the article but i have no idea what is going on, or what went on to be more precise.
can someone fill me in? it sounds like a bit of overdo on the nurse's part. what exactly happened that caused her to off herself?

A couple of radio DJ's from Australia prank called the hospital where Kate was staying for a few days. If I understood correctly, the nurse who died is who picked up the call on the general switchboard and put the call through to a nurses station.

I think it's over the top as well, but I'm from a different culture. We have a long media prank culture here and no royal family, so I kind of don't get it. It could be that her death was accidental.


#17    OverSword

OverSword

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 12,691 posts
  • Joined:16 Oct 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle WA USA

  • When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 07 December 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

surely you arnt allowed to prank call emergency services, impersonate some ones parents to get infomation on some one, when did it become alrite to do these things.
I agree.  It was a tastless joke but still, it's nothing to end your life over, and any half-way stable and reasonable sane person knows this.  The question that should be asked is why such a fragile person is placed in such a high pressure environment?


#18    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 8,933 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostOverSword, on 07 December 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

I agree.  It was a tastless joke but still, it's nothing to end your life over, and any half-way stable and reasonable sane person knows this.  The question that should be asked is why such a fragile person is placed in such a high pressure environment?
very good point


#19    Professor T

Professor T

    Λ Ο Δ

  • Member
  • 2,419 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

View Posthatecraft, on 07 December 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

She got what she wanted.  No one else is to blame.
Shameless!

Are you a shock Jock IRL?

IMO, they need to be extraditied from OZ to the UK and they should face some form of justice for what they did, even if it's just an apology to the victims they need to atone for this..
I'm not a royalist, in-fact I'm anti royal... But that is no excuse for their actions of; Invasion of privacy, Impersonating others, Deception to gain unlawfull access to personal information, and not in the least, causing emotional harm to the victims including Kate, William, and the nurse..
What those Sock Jocks did was a crime... Period!


#20    pallidin

pallidin

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,411 posts
  • Joined:09 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere south of the North Pole

  • "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

So, not to act brain-dead here, but how did she commit suicide?


#21    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Plato's Cave

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

View PostOverSword, on 07 December 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

I agree.  It was a tastless joke but still, it's nothing to end your life over, and any half-way stable and reasonable sane person knows this.  The question that should be asked is why such a fragile person is placed in such a high pressure environment?
theres no proof of ill mental health but from the evidance gathered in the short amount of time it does seem like she just commited suicide because of a prank. if she hadnt taken her life, id put money on people giving her alot of grief over not doing her job properly. (even tho she was)

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#22    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

    devil's aunt

  • Member
  • 21,746 posts
  • Joined:21 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Croatia/Sucamore Beach

  • Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

View Postpallidin, on 07 December 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

So, not to act brain-dead here, but how did she commit suicide?


It's not clear from the article. I was just thinking, maybe it wasn’t even a suicide, she might as well had a heart-attack. I know I would.
Unlike “celebrities”, most sane people do not want to be in the news, they do not want the media attention, they do not want to be associated with retarded invasions of privacy.

There’s very clear line between only a game (what we do in fun&games on UM, mutual, consensual and in light heart) and real life with real grim consequences.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#23    Pandora7321

Pandora7321

    Perpetual Late Bloomer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Joined:02 Dec 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Jacksonville, Florida

  • My name is Anastasia Beaverhausen. Anastasia as in the Romanovs. Beaverhausen as in........where the beaver live.

    -Karen Walker, "Will & Grace"

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

I just have to say this. Maybe "hatecraft" was a little blunt when he said, "She got what she wanted. No one else is to blame." However, he is correct. When someone tries to kill themselves and succeeds, they do in fact get what they wanted, which is to die. I agree that no one is to blame except the person who commits the act upon themselves. The sad fact is that there are so many people out there fighting internal battles and no one ever really knows what they may say or do to that person that may push them over the edge.

To "Armchair Educated" and "Professor T"; how do you know that your replies to "hatecraft" won't be the final thing to set him off? You don't. We can't all go around on eggshells afraid that any biting remark or even harmless joke just might be the cause of someone's suicide. People who commit suicide are dealing with a whole host of issues and the sad fact is that if you take your own life, there is no one to blame but yourself.

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
- Tool, Stinkfist

#24    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Joined:25 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:orlando

  • And a million baneful words couldn't bring me to my knees.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

I agree that (if it even was suicide) she must have been unstable or had a lot of other things going on in her life on top of this. But sometimes when you're on the verge, you need a good thing to happen to make you change your mind, or a bad thing to happen to make you give up completely.

The dj's were the bad thing that happened.

It's like the suicide note from a man that said "If ONE person smiles at me as I walk to the bridge, I won't jump." He jumped.

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#25    Arbenol

Arbenol

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Joined:09 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostPandora7321, on 07 December 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

The DJ's are not to blame. This woman obviously had issues before this. If you're going to kill yourself over something like a harmless radio joke, you've already been teetering on the edge. I've had the misfortune of knowing 6 people who've killed themselves. Trust me, if it wasn't this to set her off it would've been something else.

That's something of an assumption. You don't know how fragile she was.

The joke wasn't harmless. It tricked two people into committing acts of gross misconduct. Breaching patients' rights to confidentiality is a sackable offence. Sure, there are mitigating circumstances, but that coupled with the publicity could be pretty traumatic.

I agree, she probably wasn't the most robust person, but I don't think it's right to say that something else would have eventually triggered her suicide.


#26    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 8,933 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostRockabyeBillie, on 07 December 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

It's like the suicide note from a man that said "If ONE person smiles at me as I walk to the bridge, I won't jump." He jumped.
that really punctuates it.
i bet i smile at every person i see on a bridge now - seriously


#27    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Plato's Cave

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostPandora7321, on 07 December 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

I just have to say this. Maybe "hatecraft" was a little blunt when he said, "She got what she wanted. No one else is to blame." However, he is correct. When someone tries to kill themselves and succeeds, they do in fact get what they wanted, which is to die. I agree that no one is to blame except the person who commits the act upon themselves. The sad fact is that there are so many people out there fighting internal battles and no one ever really knows what they may say or do to that person that may push them over the edge.

To "Armchair Educated" and "Professor T"; how do you know that your replies to "hatecraft" won't be the final thing to set him off? You don't. We can't all go around on eggshells afraid that any biting remark or even harmless joke just might be the cause of someone's suicide. People who commit suicide are dealing with a whole host of issues and the sad fact is that if you take your own life, there is no one to blame but yourself.
id still feel bad if hatecraft killed himself over my comment right or wrong, i wouldnt say he got what he wanted, no one is too blame.  this woman didnt get what she wanted, she was placed in a position of mockery in front of the world. is the internal battle inside them only sad until they kill them selves and then its alrite because it was their decision.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#28    Pandora7321

Pandora7321

    Perpetual Late Bloomer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Joined:02 Dec 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Jacksonville, Florida

  • My name is Anastasia Beaverhausen. Anastasia as in the Romanovs. Beaverhausen as in........where the beaver live.

    -Karen Walker, "Will & Grace"

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostArbenol68, on 07 December 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

That's something of an assumption. You don't know how fragile she was.

The joke wasn't harmless. It tricked two people into committing acts of gross misconduct. Breaching patients' rights to confidentiality is a sackable offence. Sure, there are mitigating circumstances, but that coupled with the publicity could be pretty traumatic.

I agree, she probably wasn't the most robust person, but I don't think it's right to say that something else would have eventually triggered her suicide.

You're right, that is my assumption. My opinion. Could be right, could be wrong. You're also right that I don't know how fragile she was. No one ever truly knows how anyone feels. The fact that she killed herself over this is some indication that she was apparently very fragile. Still doesn't mean that anyone is to blame other than herself.

No matter what happens in your life, it's your choice how you deal with the effects of it. If someone does you wrong, cheats on you and breaks your heart, it's still not their fault if you kill yourself over it. That's how you chose to handle it. If someone says mean things to you and humiliates you, it's still your choice to kill yourself over it. I'm not saying the people who were mean or hurtful or even playing a joke are totally innocent. We're all responsible for how we treat others. Just as we're responsible for how we treat OURSELVES.

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
- Tool, Stinkfist

#29    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 8,933 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

View PostPandora7321, on 07 December 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

You're right, that is my assumption. My opinion. Could be right, could be wrong. You're also right that I don't know how fragile she was. No one ever truly knows how anyone feels. The fact that she killed herself over this is some indication that she was apparently very fragile. Still doesn't mean that anyone is to blame other than herself.

No matter what happens in your life, it's your choice how you deal with the effects of it. If someone does you wrong, cheats on you and breaks your heart, it's still not their fault if you kill yourself over it. That's how you chose to handle it. If someone says mean things to you and humiliates you, it's still your choice to kill yourself over it. I'm not saying the people who were mean or hurtful or even playing a joke are totally innocent. We're all responsible for how we treat others. Just as we're responsible for how we treat OURSELVES.
well said :tu:


#30    Pandora7321

Pandora7321

    Perpetual Late Bloomer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Joined:02 Dec 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Jacksonville, Florida

  • My name is Anastasia Beaverhausen. Anastasia as in the Romanovs. Beaverhausen as in........where the beaver live.

    -Karen Walker, "Will & Grace"

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 07 December 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

id still feel bad if hatecraft killed himself over my comment right or wrong, i wouldnt say he got what he wanted, no one is too blame.  this woman didnt get what she wanted, she was placed in a position of mockery in front of the world. is the internal battle inside them only sad until they kill them selves and then its alrite because it was their decision.

I'm sure you would feel awful if that were to happen. Most caring people would. I'd be willing to bet that those DJ's feel absolutely terrible about this. I know for a fact I would. I wasn't kidding when I said I've known 6 people who've committed suicide. Nothing like that experience to make you go over every single interraction you've ever had with those people. Makes you wonder if there was something you missed. Something you could've done to help them. But, in the end, it was their decision to take their lives. Lots of people have been placed in positions of public mockery and embarassment. Not everyone kills themselves over it. Suicide is an incredibly personal thing and I just feel that these DJ's shouldn't be held responsible for it.

Edited by Pandora7321, 07 December 2012 - 06:48 PM.

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
- Tool, Stinkfist




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users