Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is proof of alien life a risk to society ?

Saru

The possibilities and consequences of such a discovery have been discussed at the World Economic Forum.

The discovery of alien life or Earth-like planets and the implications to the world was a crucial item on the agenda at the annual World Economic Forum, or WEF, in Davos, Switzerland.

arrow3.gifRead more...

"In 10 years' time, we may have evidence not only that Earth is not unique, but also that life exists elsewhere in the universe," states the WEF Global Risks report for 2013. "The discovery of even simple life would fuel speculation about the existence of other intelligent beings and challenge many assumptions that underpin human philosophy and religion."

• Like 5

Well I've always thought that the moment you announce that aliens exist somewhere in the universe a lot of things will happen at once.

Religions (or at least the religious) will decry it as an offence to their beliefs. There will be violence.

Cults will spring up. There will be deaths (Heaven's Gate etc).

Panic buying etc will happen.

People will riot because "the government can't protect us" or "the government is covering it up" or "because we can".

• Like 5

It'll sure shake the world up, that's for sure.

Take the film/book 'Contact' for example, (highly recommended) it deals with the implications of the discovery of an advanced civilization on the world in terms of political and religious ideals.

Politically, things like threats and hostility will come into play, the E.T's could see us as walking food or want our resources; while the religious side of the discovery would effect things like 'created in his image' and would challenge others doctrines of other faiths too but possibly the biggest threat in religious terms would be if an advanced E.T civilization/race we contacted brought with them their own religious beliefs (even worse if they're right (or great depending in who is asking)).

Edited by Sean93
  • Like 2

Well I've always thought that the moment you announce that aliens exist somewhere in the universe a lot of things will happen at once.

Religions (or at least the religious) will decry it as an offence to their beliefs. There will be violence.

People will riot because "the government can't protect us" or "the government is covering it up" or "because we can".

I have said almost the same thing.If its ever announced SHTF

I don't know about other religions, but the Catholic Church has already laid the groundwork for addressing those fears amongst the faithful.

Basically, it's a case of "in our image" represents having free will. Voila - everything from the Horta, to man to the Daleks are made in God's image because they have free will.

• Like 1

I panic bought 1357 tins of beans for the apocalypse, I am not falling for that again!

I wonder if the aliens would like baked beans?

The government will be the main ones panicking, they will not be able to control the cults or peoples reactions, would not surprise me if the army were out on our streets before we could say "phone home".

• Like 6

The sooner the better...

• Like 1

I always thought there was intelligent life out there and they have been here so it would be no surprise to me. I would see it as they finally fessed up. There is always going to be some nut that uses any excuse to form a cult.

• Like 2

As for proof of alien life being a threat to society??? haha!!

can you imagine if the aliens landed in the middle east?

or in the middle of Mali?

How about they land in some of these:

There is nothing to say they will not land in the middle of the Himalayas either. But as for a threat to us?? i would rather take my chances with a spaceship heading my way than go to any of the above for a long weekend.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 6

I think a first contact event would really shake up those who have no strong religious attachments as well. If "they" came in and said "we planted you here, we are the source of your religions" then they would almost universally be accepted. In fact the Bible mentions that at the end of days God Himself would send a strong delusion to test/try those on the earth who WOULD NOT believe. It's long been discussed what that delusion might be - I think it could be a first contact.

• Like 6

I think a first contact event would really shake up those who have no strong religious attachments as well. If "they" came in and said "we planted you here, we are the source of your religions" then they would almost universally be accepted. In fact the Bible mentions that at the end of days God Himself would send a strong delusion to test/try those on the earth who WOULD NOT believe. It's long been discussed what that delusion might be - I think it could be a first contact.

These religious lot cover everything! God sending a test?? It just astounds me that the evolution of man from ape to human never gets mentioned in the religious books, no mention of dinosaurs either, no real surprise there because they did not know in those days what we know now.

And what will these aliens look like I wonder, 2 legs, head and arms with big eyes?

We have already found out that over time man would not need his legs in a spaceship, so evolution would take its course over time.

I would love it if the aliens turned out to be some big bird which flies around its ship. Comes to Earth and want nothing to do with man, but wants to communicate with the other birds here, that would really peee the top of the food chain on this planet off!

• Like 6

I'll see you at Megeddo if that ever happened AT. Maybe we could start up a pirate Unexplained Mysteries forum after this one becomes a tool of the Anti-Christ :D

• Like 2

"the discovery that we are not alone in the universe, a revelation that could have a profound effect on society"

Good, society needs shaking up BIG TIME, and where needs shaking most...?

RELIGION.

Edited by WelshRed
  • Like 6

These religious lot cover everything! God sending a test?? It just astounds me that the evolution of man from ape to human never gets mentioned in the religious books, no mention of dinosaurs either, no real surprise there because they did not know in those days what we know now.

And what will these aliens look like I wonder, 2 legs, head and arms with big eyes?

We have already found out that over time man would not need his legs in a spaceship, so evolution would take its course over time.

I would love it if the aliens turned out to be some big bird which flies around its ship. Comes to Earth and want nothing to do with man, but wants to communicate with the other birds here, that would really peee the top of the food chain on this planet off!

Yeah, the bit about the "test" is in the book of Revelation. But a really interesting and short passage is Isaiah 17. It was written about 2600 years ago and describes how Damascus Syria will be destroyed overnight: In the evening, sudden terror!

Before the morning, they are gone!

Almost sounds like a newspaper headline for next month :)

Edited by and then
  • Like 3

This sounds awfully delusional in itself.
  • Like 5

Finding bacterium or similar might simply argue for randomness of chance contact perhaps due to meteorite contact. If we were to find entities with comparable intelligence and morality that might be a profound argument for the universality of something akin to "created in God's image" and might move our civilization towards self-realization and unity. If, however, the life is considerably more evolved than us, I doubt that we would find it, it indeed has probably already found, studied us, and determined overt contact is not desirable. Or, God, is the collective energy of highly evolved civilizations, and has already made contact perhaps in the form of a strikingly evolved human such as Jesus. And, what did we do?

Edited by highdesert50

Would love to be able talk with E.T. and find out about his/ hers or its religion, god/ gods, beliefs in the after life etc!

• Like 1

And after the mighty ship came down at the designated landing spot -- accidentally killing sever hundred onlookers with their quantum space-time inversion engines -- the small group of three ambassadors cautiously and fearfully made their way to the two alien life forms that had just disembarked the ship.

Holding out the language translator built by scientists and technicians who had intercepted and decoded alien transmissions, the three Earth ambassadors each took their turn asking a question.

"We would like to know about your system of Government," said the first ambassador.

"Our people would like to know how you achieved interstellar flight," said the second ambassador.

"Please tell us of your religion, especially concerning your belief in God," said the third ambassador.

The two alien life forms stood silently for a moment, as though they were contemplating and formalizing the proper responses to such profound questions.

Finally, one alien life form turned towards the other and said, "See? I told you they were nothing but stupid monkeys. So pay up!"

• Like 8

I doubt that the world would go into panic mode. Sure you will get some nuts out there, but i doubt there would be food hoarding, anarchy in the streets, lol. For most part i think people would be more like "i knew it" and they would get on with their lives.

I don't think it would even effect religions that much. The Muslims would say that is Blasphemous, the West lies, no such thing as Alien life but Allah, the Christians and every other religion would just think its a test of god.

Now if Aliens were to start landing and showing themselves, that could be a whole different story.

• Like 6

I think it would be inspirational to know that, out there, another race of intelligence made it.

To think it can be done and to aspire to greatness.

Even the anticipation of discovering alien culture and what we could learn, would be such an awesome motivating inspiration to many.

Edited by HDesiato
  • Like 1

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and suddenly silenced" - Obi-Wan

• Like 1

I thought just about everyone believes that there is life besides us. I do not think anyone would freak out, it seems most know this all ready.

As for religions, they will just say God or the Bible never said they did not make life else where......

No biggie.

• Like 5

What could we do ? Just take it if it comes ! We are ants ,or worst just little bits of intelligence to them.

We can do nothing ! Resistance is Futile !

• Like 2

What could we do ? Just take it if it comes ! We are ants ,or worst just little bits of intelligence to them.

We can do nothing ! Resistance is Futile !

I used to all ways say that....

We are someones ant farm on a desk some where......