Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Get rid of the Constitution

Ashotep

(CBS News) Is the U.S. Constitution truly worthy of the reverence in which most Americans hold it? A view on that from Louis Michael Seidman, Professor of Constitutional Law at Georgetown University:

I've got a simple idea: Let's give up on the Constitution.

I know, it sounds radical, but it's really not. Constitutional disobedience is as American as apple pie.

For example, most of our greatest Presidents -- Jefferson, Lincoln, Wilson, and both Roosevelts -- had doubts about the Constitution, and many of them disobeyed it when it got in their way.

Professor: Take our country back, from the Constitution

Don't think I would want to do this. I can just imagine what things would be like if it wasn't for the constitution. I think those old guys that wrote it knew what they were doing. I think if they knew what was going on now and in the past they would roll over in their graves. Because even with those rights we are still losing them bit by bit or they are being regulated out of existence.

• Like 1

So, we get rid of the constitution to replace it with what exactly?

• Like 2

No comment. Just a bad idea.

• Like 5

I thought updates went 1.1...1.2...1.3 etc until theres an expansion then its called 2.0 Oh crap are we gonna pay for a new expansion as well ?

Government fiat, i.e. exactly what you've been agreeing with for all these years.

Edited by Yamato

What do you expect from a President that mastered the art of "Community Organizing" and became a Constitutional authority and Proffessor? Obama is not following the constitution, he is ripping it up by showing all of us just how easy it is to go around any issue in his way by ignoring or actually violating the Oath of office that he took to protect, defend and preserve our constitution.

Obama is nothing but an "Occupy" President. Obama says we have no spending problem!!!!! Cool, lets just spend another 6 trillion dollars over the next 4 years that we do not have and must borrow. The prime motivation of a community organizer is to "take down the man". Obama's prime motivation as president is not to deal with problems, hell, we have no problems...but rather to make the congress moot and obsolete. Obama is a one man wrecking crew and rewriting the constitution in a more progressive manner is his real dream.

Long live Obama, long live the KING!

• Like 2

This articles a few weeks old, at least the news is. Anyhow, this guy is a tool of the progressive system. He's studied and taught it all these years only to have the epiphany that its useless. It may be getting trampled all over but it is still the only thing stopping anyone from completely revoking it. The constitution is special, purposeful and a model exhibit for the entire world and those who choose freedom. Without it, anything goes and that means anything.

This is also further proof of what's happening at the universities with the progressive agenda. A constitutional law professor who teaches all about it only to conclude that it should be revoked. Goes in line with the old saying- know your friends but know your enemies better.

Constitution= enemy of progressivism

• Like 2

They could replace it with an updated version - Constitution 2.0 New additional data - Teach the importance of the constitution in all US schools ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

Oh, "they'll" make that up as they go along. They're from the government - they're just here to help......
  • Like 2

They could replace it with an updated version - Constitution 2.0 New additional data - Teach the importance of the constitution in all US schools ..

That almost sounds ok but Constitution 2.0 is a constitution by name only and could contain anything at all. It still isn't Thee Constitution which is the one that counts and is the most righteous. Constitution 2.0 as you are probably thinking is something we can already do. It's called adding and repealing amendments which is purposefully a nightmare of a hard time to do.

I like your last thought but it must be said that teaching it is simply too vague and up to too much interpretive nonsense. This guy is teaching it all right. Then he's telling all the fresh young minds that it probably needs to go. Gets in the way of things. Yep, that's the point though professor. There is an amendment process that is supposed to impede immediate change concerning deadly serious country changing issues that become supreme law of the land. So teaching it isn't enough. The importance, the meaning, the how's, when's and whys, the need to preserve and respect it and to never ever want to get rid of it need to be instilled.

That said, I'm not sure teaching the constitution needs to be a constitutional amendment so much as a standard academic curriculum but I appreciate the angle you're coming from.

• Like 1

. The importance, the meaning, the how's, when's and whys, the need to preserve and respect it and to never ever want to get rid of it need to be instilled.

That said, I'm not sure teaching the constitution needs to be a constitutional amendment so much as a standard academic curriculum but I appreciate the angle you're coming from.

The bolded part is what I meant

• Like 1

I knew that. As I said, I appreciate your angle. It's becoming clearer where you stand on American issues. Glad we can help you figure that out.

• Like 2

You do not have the right to "ignore" the constitution as the OP suggests.

• Like 2

And just what the heck do you think we been talking about the past 2 months. Government ignoring the Constitution. Bejesus.

• Like 1

Then join us in holding your government officials accountable for doing that. They're the ones who swear to uphold it. That doesn't give them a right to ignore it. It gives them a sworn duty not to.

• Like 4

I think anyone in government or law enforcement should learn the constitution. Many don't seem to know anything about it. I also think it should be taught in school starting with the first graders since it is so important. The constitution should be the most read document in the United States. It's easy to infringe upon someones constitutional rights when they don't know what they are.

• Like 2

Thats the weird part is Obama studied Constitutional Law. Might be how hes finding so easy to walk on.

• Like 2

That has been going on for decades. I think now because of the internet people are more aware of it when it happens. Unfortunately everything you read on the net isn't true. You have to weed out the propaganda put out by one side.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 1

There is a growing number of people in this country who are ecstatic that the gov is trying to completly think for them,makes it easier to be stupid i guess.

If we give up the constitution, we are giving up what makes us free, I will not give it up regardless of what these people say. By giving it up, I am forsaking my founding fathers and what America stands for.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 2

Then join us in holding your government officials accountable for doing that. They're the ones who swear to uphold it. That doesn't give them a right to ignore it. It gives them a sworn duty not to.

why what fomenting insurrection? No thanks.

why what fomenting insurrection? No thanks.

Admitting you are a coward, is in some strange way kinda noble. The least you could do is shut up and stop defending constitutional violations though.

When you think about it, if the constitution is the highest law in the land, and our leaders place themselfs above it, then who are the ones "fomenting insurrection"?

• Like 1

If you would use your brain you would notice that any democratic system, faulty as it may be, can only be exchanged for a dictatorial system. And there is where your insurrection logic does not only fail, it is remarkably dangerous. Changes within the system have to be brought by a majority and the majority does not need guns to do that.

Admitting you are a coward, is in some strange way kinda noble. The least you could do is shut up and stop defending constitutional violations though.

When you think about it, if the constitution is the highest law in the land, and our leaders place themselfs above it, then who are the ones "fomenting insurrection"?

You have not thought that through either, have you?