Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are the brain and mind/soul separate entities

Alan McDougall

Hi

This subject has been debated over the years, are the mind and brain separate entities?. The mind possibly a quantum field hovering over and downloaded constantly into the brain, which might just be a sort of storage device, such as the hard drive on a computer and the mind possibly a sort of huge RAM where all the lives of a being is consolidated. Namely the "higher self"

What does the forum members think?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xanthurion2

• abhilashkaiyer

• Alan McDougall

• Rlyeh

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don't see them as seperate, both brain damage and mind altering drugs can and do affect the mind(memory, consciousness, personality, etc).

i believe the brain is the thing keeping us alive but the mind is our "real self" and when we die, the mind lives on and is reincarnated into a new brain. there's more to my theory but it's way off topic.

To me the answer is yes and no. They are seperate in the sense that they can be 'perceived' individually but they are not seperate as they are part of a whole and therefore, one.

This belief of seperateness - in it's many forms - has, I think, been the cause of much woe for man.

Also I think there is still much to understand about the mind. To my understanding the mind is capapble of becoming detatched from the body/brain. So where does that leave us? A long way from the truth I'd say.

I would call them separate in the sense that the brain and soul are two different things, but both are still needed together in order to function. I see the brain as an engine for our physical body, and the soul as the driving force behind it. The simplest way to explain it, would be to use a car as an example.

The "brain" in a car is the engine - you won't get anywhere without it, and the car would merely be an empty shell. It has to be tended and cared for in order to function properly. The car itself is the body.

The "soul" of the car is the driver - you are in control of the vehicle, you decide where to go and you see the world through the eyes (wind shield) of the car. You can at any time leave the car, which would mean that you detach yourself from the body that no longer will be able to get around (sleep). If the car is destroyed (death), the soul will leave it also, since it can no longer be used to get around in the world.

I know it can't be put up black and white like this, but the essence of it I believe is true.

Hi

This subject has been debated over the years, are the mind and brain separate entities?. The mind possibly a quantum field hovering over and downloaded constantly into the brain, which might just be a sort of storage device, such as the hard drive on a computer and the mind possibly a sort of huge RAM where all the lives of a being is consolidated. Namely the "higher self"

What does the forum members think?

The spirit, which is eternal, inhabits the Body which is temporal, Is the Soul. When the body Expires on this temporal plane it continues and experiences more.

I have alot more to say but the batt on my computer just flashed, I.m in the Tub Som I'll share more Later.

Love Omnaka

Edited by Omnaka

Hi,

In this being we perceive everything as part of the body. According to my theory mind and body are two. Again mind and soul is also different.

Just like system software and application software in a computer.

Mind is the medium through which the soul works. Conscious and sub conscious is what the mind is. But below that there is super conscious where the soul is.

Just like a driver driving the vehicle, through the medium of mind, soul directs the body.

If you are interested in going deep into this subject, please make a reply, we can have a more detailed discussion.

... 2¢.. I think brain and mind are different.. in that, you can hold a brain in your hands. You can not hold mind / thought, (or a soul) , in your hands. I wouldn't consider a brain an entity.. anymore than a liver . I see thought as a form of light.. you can't hold light in your hands either.

Hi Alan. I like the way you connected the mind and soul as such 'mind/soul', 'cos that makes my reply easier. The assumption of a spirit separate to the mind makes all such enquiry infinitely more complex. And I don't believe in a soul.

As one or two of the previous posts have pointed to there are a couple of takes on this. The debate has raged on in psychology and philosophy (okay it's limped on), but I'll be brief. the Monists assert the existence of just the mind or the body, one side saying we are just physical experience and the other saying that all experience is cognitive (including our physical interaction with the world, which they would say isn't physical at all......perhaps the most tenuous of standpoints) and the Dualists who would propose a separation of the body and mind in that they were distinct entities.

Personally I say 'Hogwash' to these tenets as I am an advocate of 'Duel Aspect Monism'. You'll all be converts by the time I've finished.

Renmember Bohr, thats right, the physicist, the complementary aspect of light, that it can be observed as a particle or a wave and measured as such, but not both at the same time, but that a change in the measure of the particle was reciprocated by a change in its measure as a wave, and vice versa. Him, yeah. Duel aspect monism proposes that the body and mind exists in such a nature. There is no separation, but the relationship is one of complementarity (the core of Bohrs thesis). A change in physical state is complemented by a change in mind state, the two are not separate, but intimately connected. No separate mind, no separate body, but a reciprocal relationship between the two.

Thoughts?

i like the car and driver analogy, kedane.

and quite an interesting argument, spring heeled jerk. it certainly makes sense.

In my opinion what ever we perceive or what ever is our view is conditioned by the way we think and understand. So there will be difference in opinion depends on the way we think.

For example, if you see the robots, they have the ability to decide depends on the situation, but this decision making skill depends on the program. Just like that our mind is programmed in a way which let us think uniquely. You can consider the program as mind, as that works as we wish. Even if the program is there we need to look more deeply into the fact that what is the basis of this programming, what is that abstract thing which controls even the programs.

Soul is the energy source which is present in all beings. Mind is the secondary sense which is derived out of the soul.