Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Religionist meets god...

religion atheism faith

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,201 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Religionist here :)

I would say Huitzi (alphabeticus watchamacallit) what was the point of only telling a race that wasn't gonna go the distance who you are?

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#17    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hi religionist!

So why don´t you think we should ask the same question to Yaweh (assuming that one is your flavour)?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#18    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,697 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'd smack him around a bit and ask "why oh why did you not teach men that passive aggressive ridicule is not even a remotely effective way to make a point."

"WHY!!! " SMACK

Then I would give him this book and say. "This should be required reading for all humans"

http://www.amazon.co...9864583-6714347

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#19    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,456 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 03 July 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

Hmm.... I get the funny feeling that none of the commentators here is a religionist.

The religionists seem to be politely ignoring the question, which was addressed to them...

I am a religious person and I don't see the problem here.... contrary to what many people think, the bible (in my case specifically) is pretty straight forward in stating that there are other gods..... But it also states quite clearly, that God, is the God of gods..., in effect he also created them...

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#20    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:33 AM

View PostJor-el, on 03 July 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

I am a religious person and I don't see the problem here.... contrary to what many people think, the bible (in my case specifically) is pretty straight forward in stating that there are other gods..... But it also states quite clearly, that God, is the God of gods..., in effect he also created them...
They really did cover everything off didnt they lol

BUT
Isaiah 43:10
"I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. "

Edited by The Id3al Experience, 04 July 2013 - 03:38 AM.

Posted Image

#21    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,837 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

I'd say:

"Can I use the internet to google who you are?  Ok, good.  Wow, didn't expect to see you here.  Umm, if you're the one true God why did you die out with the rest of your worshippers?  Why am I even here, I'm a pacifist, hardly a candidate to join your warrior clan"?

Serious, that's what I'd say.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#22    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 04 July 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

I'd say:

"Can I use the internet to google who you are?  Ok, good.  Wow, didn't expect to see you here.  Umm, if you're the one true God why did you die out with the rest of your worshippers?  Why am I even here, I'm a pacifist, hardly a candidate to join your warrior clan"?

Serious, that's what I'd say.

So, for you only the successful god is the right one? Might is right?
That means once islam has succeeded in conquering your country, you will convert?

To me, that sounds like an attitude of convenience, not one of divine enlightenment.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#23    Amalthe

Amalthe

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

I think I really wouldn't bother pronouncing his name in first place :) And Zaph is right, power or precedence of God should never be measured by his might or success.
Truth is that in most polytheistic religions there was a Creator like a father figure,but who was mostly absent and silent, and allowed "lesser" Gods to have their fun with humanity. So i would consider any god that would appear after my death to be Creator or his envoy in that matter.
Therefore, my question to Creator would be: "Why did you separate creation to men and women?"

#24    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,837 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 04 July 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

So, for you only the successful god is the right one? Might is right?
That means once islam has succeeded in conquering your country, you will convert?

To me, that sounds like an attitude of convenience, not one of divine enlightenment.
You asked me what I would say if I were to get to the afterlife and find what's-his-face standing there.  Just because you don't like the answer doesn't invalidate it.  As it stands I fully expect to see Jesus there, so the question was a hypothetical (you did say to answer without making the comment that it was possible/impossible to happen).

And I don't expect Islam to conquer my country any time soon, so I have no interest in converting to Islam.  Of course, no one expected the Spanish Inquisition, either.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#25    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,201 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 03 July 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Hi religionist!

So why don´t you think we should ask the same question to Yaweh (assuming that one is your flavour)?
There's the thing right?  I don't think God (I don't call him Yahweh for reasons you have actually alluded to) did only tell one race.  Fact is, each race had a cultural perspective on who was giving them the info and what he was actually telling them (it might be like us talking to our pets, we think they get the gist when we tell the dog to sit but he may just be remembering that a certain sound from us, followed by him sitting equals a pretty neat treat, which is not the same at all as him understanding the WORD "sit") and a language that also decided what name they would refer to him/her as when they discussed it all amongst themselves and decided what it was he/she meant, like chinese whispers they probably got a few things well, "not quite right" lets say.

Edited by libstaK, 04 July 2013 - 11:27 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#26    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,554 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

I think we are creatures who seek truth, it is like a magnet that draws us, or most of us I believe.  Those who seek truth will find it and will not be surprised.  It will be like meeting someone new, but there is an instant connection, truth responds to truth, love to love, goodness to goodness, no matter the name.

peace
Mark

Edited by markdohle, 05 July 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#27    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,456 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 04 July 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

They really did cover everything off didnt they lol

BUT
Isaiah 43:10
"I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. "

Deuteronomy 32:8

When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance, when he divided mankind, he fixed the borders of the peoples according to the number of the sons of God.

Psalm 82

1 God (elohim) has taken his place in the divine council;
   in the midst of the gods (elohim), he holds judgment:

2 "How long will you judge unjustly
   and show partiality to the wicked?

6 I said, “You are gods,
sons of the Most High, all of you;
7 nevertheless, like men you shall die,
and fall like any prince.”

8 Arise, O God, judge the earth;
for you shall inherit all the nations!

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#28    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostJor-el, on 05 July 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

8 Arise, O God, judge the earth;
for you shall inherit all the nations!

To understand Christianity, one really has to understand the logic behind your post, Jor-el...including the Feast of Sukkot (Feast of Booths, Feast of Tabernacles), a biblical holiday celebrated on the 15th day of the month of Tishrei (variously from late September to late October), and why the Lamb was sacrificed.

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist)

Distinguish between spin doctoring and truth. Keep in mind that truth is ALMOST impossible to figure out when it comes to ancient holy book.

#29    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,456 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

View Postbraveone2u, on 05 July 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

To understand Christianity, one really has to understand the logic behind your post, Jor-el...including the Feast of Sukkot (Feast of Booths, Feast of Tabernacles), a biblical holiday celebrated on the 15th day of the month of Tishrei (variously from late September to late October), and why the Lamb was sacrificed.

True, but the aim here is simple, to demonstrate that God created the other Gods... and if we happen to one day meet one of them then it is simply on the way to meet the God of gods to whom they will also bow.

Posted Image

-C. S. Lewis

#30    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,387 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostJor-el, on 05 July 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

True, but the aim here is simple, to demonstrate that God created the other Gods... and if we happen to one day meet one of them then it is simply on the way to meet the God of gods to whom they will also bow.

Ah, but first you have to demonstrate where your God came from, not so simple I think.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

Also tagged with religion, atheism, faith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users