Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fate / Destiny

Blue_Moon

After searching through the forums I can't believe there are no FATE type discussions.

I may not be the best person to start this type of topic but I'll give it a go...why not I say!!!!!

FATE:

I ask myself do we freely walk the paths we choose, or are they already set in the fabric of time?

Are the people we meet, love and hate through everyday life, always been destined to particpate & influence in our lives?

For example(not the best one, but one of the simplest):

Was I destined to be a member of this website, for what reason?

Purely for the reason that I enjoy the types of discussions with like minded people or was I guided by some force, spirtual, alien or something we can not understand, that has pushed me into a direction so that my life will either profit or ruin.

If there is such a thing as FATE then we really have no free will, or are there endless possiblities of FATE, that gives us a list of possible decisions that sometimes have there seperate paths mapped out?

What if you had a list of decisions or to put it plainly "a fork in the road". Would both paths lead you to the same destination? Is one of Ruin or of Profit????

Or is there no fate but what you make????

I would love to say that I don't believe in fate, purely that I've always believed that I control my own life to an extent, but sometimes, just sometimes.............................

gunsmilie.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Babs

• Universal Absurdity

• Fenris

• Phenomenon

I hate the idea of fate, but cannot escape it.

I think to believe in fate you have to believe in some form of deity, if our lives have been planned then by definition someone must of planned them.

As I do not believe in a god, or any such omnipotent being, I cannot beleive in fate, but I know what you mean, sometimes things just work out, whether for good or bad, that make you stop and think.... blink.gif

There have been some 300 billion human beings to have walked the face of the planet...the idea of each and every single one of them having had their lives individually planned out by some kind of consciousness is ridiculous...

Do we spend time planning out and deliberating the lives of a cluster of amoebas? No tongue.gif

The longer I live the more I believe in fate. ph34r.gif

I don't really like to use the words 'feel or 'believe' as I like to think with my head, not my emotions, and I like to talk about things that I know are real and not about beliefs.

There have been so many instances in life where I felt like I was just going through the motions and didn't even want to be there. Yes, I believe in fate. It feels weird even saying, "I believe"...but I do. original.gif

i believe in free will , as well as fate.

heres my theory

why do we need sleep? its been proven that its not really a rest issue as the heart keeps pumping, brain keeps active, and you move in your sleep to keep your blood flowing evenly. there were sleep studies where paitents were not permitted to have r.e.m. sleep after about 3-4 days paitents could be considered legally insane due to lack of r.e.m. so whats so important about rem?

it is my belief that your soul can and does leave your body while sleeping and sorta 'sets stuff up' for the next day, the next week , whenever. time, only exists as a concept. there really is no proof of any time other than 'now' but thats a whole other thread. anyways . your soul is what gives you those urges to go do whatever it is you get the urge to.

and its up to you (your ego, self, or whatever you want to call you) to decide what to do. have you ever got a really strong urge to do something and decided not to? just to find out that it would have been really great. or went against an urge to do something and got hurt or badly affected otherwise? i know its happend to me so i go with those urges. to me its proof, ive never gone wrong with something i just 'had the feeling' to do

Edited by Phantom

I haven't always listened to that voice within and I have decided to do that now.It is strong and it has always been right. original.gif

I, recently, just read that quote, too, about the airforce. thumbsup.gif

I believe in The Fates. Or.. Norns.. Wyrd Sistters...

in a way i do, but not on every single aspect of life!

meeting someone special, i see as fate because people meet each other through the strangest circumstances!

however bumping into someone u know in the supermarket i do not see as fate!

ph34r.gif

meeting someone special, i see as fate because people meet each other through the strangest circumstances!

however bumping into someone u know in the supermarket i do not see as fate!

ever read the celestine prophecy?

good book, hard to put down. heres a link to a brief summary . remarkably relivant to this topic. it is fictional tho.

post-56-1079042382.jpg

I have read Celestine Prophecy and that's what opened my eyes to believing totally in the fact that there is no such thing as a coincidence (and thank goodness cuz life would be kinda boring otherwise)

Fate leads the willing and drags along the unwilling.

I believe in logical conculsions which can be drawn from one's life, such as if are the child of a welfare scrounger you will probably become a NED, if you come from a family with high rates of heart disease you are likely to catch it too, if you are poverty striken you are more likely to turn to crime, if you are born into a wealthy family you will have everything handed to you on a plate and because of this achieve more than someone in a council estate no matter how hard they push themselves.

These are natural assumptions of which we can guess way people with trangress through their lives.

But a path decided for them, set down in stone, and dictating ever event of their life before they are even born? ... I think not

But a path decided for them, set down in stone, and dictating ever event of their life before they are even born? ... I think not

fate to me is more like a path you chose before you got here. not necessarily a well defined path, more like points to get to...how you get there is up to you.

*for anyone who noticed and wondered, im trying to find a good signature pic. but i have so many i cant decide. so it'll be a different one everytime till i decide

post-56-1079051523.jpg

Universal...that last pic is beautiful. I've read "the Celestine Prophesy" and now hear it will be a movie. original.gif

I believe in karma. And that everything has a cause and effect. Just like Newton's Law, every action has an opposite equal reaction. So to me, fate belongs to every individual's hand. What you do today may effect you tommorow or the day after. In other words, we create our own fate. Remember the show 'Pay it Forward'. Is it fate? It's just a string of karma. A kid did something good and it is pass on.

Cause: Do nothing and believe in fate

Effect: Get nothing

Cauce: Did something good and belive in fate

Effect: get something good in return

wink2.gif

I tend to be a fatalist and leave alot of things up to Fate .

I do believe in Fate to a degree I think it may be more of a Karma thing as Buddy_Hongster mentioned above . I'm not sure our fates are set in stone when we are born , it's more like we are provided with the things we need to learn lifes lessons .

And remember it may be 300billion people have walked upon the earth or it may be that 1billion people have walked on the earth 300 times . . as for ameoba who knows wether somebody is using them and directing there lives in a way that effects there own fate .

You can't prove it but then again you can't entirely dismiss it either . original.gif

Fate? We all chose our fate. We chose it way back when, when everything was made. Then (even before we existed) we chose our fate. Now, we are going about doing what we wre going to do (fate). I hope you all culd understand what I am trying to say. It does't really matter anyway, it's just an idea.

I believe in the fates. ph34r.gifph34r.gif

Are events out of our control? Yes.

Is the future fixed? Yes.

Spoken like a true Pisces...they believe in fate. grin2.gif

I don't really know if the future is fixed...I'm working on that one. original.gif

NO

but i do think there is no such thing as a coincedense(sorry speeling,i need a dic)

rainfro.gif

I believe in fate.... not as a set thing, but as a 'most likely potential', in the way that astrology and divination can pick up the likely outcomes of general trends in your life but pretty much suck at picking out specifics.

The future is a web of possibilitys, some stronger and more likely to be realised than the others. Fate is simple the Zen... path of least resistance... the way your life will most likely unfold. Whilst most of the choises we make WILL be in line with that fate, some will not be and those in turn change what that fate is.... making diffrent lines of future possibilitys the most likely path in their turn.

There have been some 300 billion human beings to have walked the face of the planet...the idea of each and every single one of them having had their lives individually planned out by some kind of consciousness is ridiculous...

Do we spend time planning out and deliberating the lives of a cluster of amoebas? No

Not quite as accurate as normal there seraphina. wink2.gif

Wether fate plays a part in our lifes course, if indeed fate does exist maybe an arguement that is hard to prove either way. Recent studies - especially with identical twins - has thrown up some amazing facts. Most of us will be aware of the reports whereby identical twins are reunited after decades and discover that their lives are almost identical. One recent story I saw involved a couple of women who were seperated at birth. They were genetically the same, and that wasn't where the similarities ended. They had married men with the same name, their tastes in food were the same, they wore the same clothes, they had the same interests.

When they rang each other for the first time they were in the middle of baking a recipe, and yes, you've guessed it, they were reading it from the same magazine.

For many years this kind of situation has been seen as more than pure coincidence, to the point that people have suspected some kind of telepathic link, in this case a subconscious one. Telepathy between twins has been studied for years. the way they can feel each others emotions and pains. Almost like they are an extension of each other. It's hard to say wether there is a phenomena occuring or wether this is down to genetic make-up, I for one after seeing the latest in scientific theories believe that genes play a huge part in out life and the way it will evolve.

We have genes that effect our taste in music, food, clothes, infact just about everything we choose to do is decided before we are even born. If this is so perhaps our free will to live as we feel is right is not quite left to us to decide.

Everything we are is controlled and deliberate. Our tempers, our emotions, they are all pre-set and determined before we take our first breath of life. With this in mind fate doesn't seem such a wayward theory, infact it makes sense.

There are of course many factors that determine other aspects of our life. We may have the genetic potential to excel in some field, but given the wrong circumstances we don't. this is where luck and fortune play a part.

It may not be a fate that is written in stone before we are born, but it sure does look like there is more to this arguement than a flat no.

Everything we are is controlled and deliberate. Our tempers, our emotions, they are all pre-set and determined before we take our first breath of life.

As someone who used to work in Psychology I have to disagree.

Whilst yes we are born with predispositions in most areas, introvert, extrovert, calm, easily-stressed....etc. that is the basic template which is then refined by our interaction with the enviroment around us.

It isn't nature or nurture.... its both.

There are of course many factors that determine other aspects of our life

You must have missed this sentence. wink2.gif