Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cats do not need their owners

Still Waters

Rudyard Kipling was right. Cats really do walk by themselves and do not need their owners to feel secure and safe, a new study has shown.

Although owners might worry that their pet is nervously pining for their return when they leave the house, in fact, cats show no sign of separation anxiety.

Researchers at the University of Lincoln have concluded that cats, unlike dogs, do not need humans to feel protected, preferring to look after themselves.

http://www.telegraph...s-conclude.html

• Like 3

They should interview my cat, she is co-dependent.

She will dial me up after I leave home and just to yowl at me.

• Like 5

Dogs will wait by your grave until they die of depression...

Cats will eat your lifeless body the second you hit the carpet lol

• Like 6

I always thought that cats own their owners, and not vice versa. Besides, they are so independent. These animals look like miniature lions, ruling the concrete jungle

Edited by Anomalocaris
  • Like 3

I have to disagree with that, We went on holiday last week and I could see the relief on my little darling's face when we returned home, She didn't let us out of her sight for a couple of days and even slept on the bed with us on the first night back, Which she never does.

• Like 8

Differs from cat to cat I'm sure. Mine was very clingy. Would start whining the moment I left the apartment and get really excited when I returned. She was acting more like a dog, really.

• Like 6

Differs from cat to cat I'm sure. Mine was very clingy. Would start whining the moment I left the apartment and get really excited when I returned. She was acting more like a dog, really.

We said exactly the same about our cat but yes it does vary from cat to cat, When my mum returned from holiday recently her cat just gave her a look as if to say "oh, Nice to see you've bothered to return to MY house", Then she promptly turned her back on my mum and walked away. She did get a bit of a fuss off her later on though so she's not all bad :)

• Like 4

In the short term, most cats can fend for themselves, but in the long term natural selection takes an inevitable toll. Domestic cats aren't as well equipped as their feral cousins to survive in the wild. They have the same instincts but their skills aren't honed and their legs are shorter than their wild cousins. Just taking the feathers off a bird so they can eat is usually something they have either have learned from their mother or else by trial and error if suddenly on their own.

• Like 1

Until my cats grow thumbs and can open canned food...yeah, they need me.

Or maybe tolerate me is a better word.

I think they are plotting.

Nibs

Looks like you're right

Edited by Cat_From_Hell
  • Like 4

Cats do need their "owners".. they have adopted them as part of THIER family. I know my cats loved me . . . :cry: gimme a sec..

oya, and i gave Sena medicine (kitty thyroid condition) at 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM for Six Years . so i'd say she needed me.. she wouldn't have lived very long after she developed the problem if not for her diligence in having me give her the medicine twice a day.. every day.. and she never complained about our never being able to go away for a night or two!

Edited by lightly
  • Like 4

A year and a half ago a black and whte pipe cleaner cat showed up on my porch when it was -26 C with the wind blowing, I let him in and he's been a constant source of enjoyment.

I called him 'Bones', which was very apt. He's still a skinny cat.

He's the first cat I've lived with.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 7

Dogs want to belong, Cats at best wish to negotiate.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

Both of the cats we had .. one for 17 years.. the next for 18 years... used to either get in the window or perk up and look at the window minutes before i would be arriving home from work... and it was never exactly the same time. My wife would watch them and they would always act as if they were expecting my arrival.

Juniper used to go for long walks with me, following me around wherever i went. They both seemed to enjoy just being with me even when they knew there was nothing "in it" for them , such as food or anything. We were friends. Friends need each other.

Some cats are aloof.. but mine were affectionate.

• Like 4

I think some cats really do like their owners, just in a different manner than dogs do.

All in all though, domestic animals all really need us.

• Like 3

why it took researchers until 2015 to figure this out?

If I had to guess, two words: grant money.

• Like 1

Cats are better able to survive without people's help than dogs are, but they will take handouts when times are tuff. I fed our second cat for a year before i ever saw it . The only signs of it were footprints in the snow and food that i left out for it being gone.

She was ferrel .. even after she finally came in the house one day, she wouldn't sleep in the house and demanded to be let out for the night.. even in the winter!

After she stated sleeping inside.. It took nearly another year before we could safely touch her! and she only shared a very quiet purrrr in her last few years. When i would put my forehead to hers to say "goodnight"

• Like 3

So that's why I despise cats, give me a Dog any day....

So that's why I despise cats, give me a Dog any day....

My several months old kitten sure follows me around a lot (like a puppy dog) and seems to considers me a playmate. She always wants to come inside my apartment.

• Like 1

A year and a half ago a black and whte pipe cleaner cat showed up on my porch when it was -26 C with the wind blowing, I let him in and he's been a constant source of enjoyment.

I called him 'Bones', which was very apt. He's still a skinny cat.

He's the first cat I've lived with.

The best cat I ever had growing up was also a black and white one who we found hanging by his armpits around the thorns in our lemon tree. He died a few years ago of unknown causes(had a bloody nose like he fell out a tree and landed on his face). We think one of the neighbors poisoned him because he would eye their chickens though. Never had any proof.

I ended up making a quick photoshop doodle of one of his old photographs one day.

mazrim.jpg

• Like 2