Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Taxing the Rich

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#106    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostRavenHawk, on 11 December 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

So you think that the top 10% paying 70% of the tax burden is fair?  I'm sure that you wouldn't lose sleep if their tax bracket was 90%, eh?
Just because there was a 90% tax bracket in the 50s does not mean that we have the same situation now that we did then that allowed such a policy.

Oh but you pine for the 50's don't you?!! Of course it's fair. Those most able to pay, need to pay more.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#107    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,548 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

View Postninjadude, on 11 December 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

No it's not. The sooner you understand that the better. Your household finances and anecdotes are now how government economic policy works.
You're wrong man. Math is math and it's factual, not convenient. So the gov doesn't spend more than it pulls in? The gov doesn't ask for more to pay down a debt? I shouldn't be upset that when they don't pay it down? In ten years we will be another $10T in debt and in ten years $75B from the rich is going to make a difference? You avoid everything by saying government is the be all end all answer. I have no idea why I even like you. You add nothing of substance, ever. And wiki links aren't substance. I want to know how your brain rationalizes things.

View Postninjadude, on 11 December 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

Oh but you pine for the 50's don't you?!! Of course it's fair. Those most able to pay, need to pay more.
But they do. They pay more than everybody exponentially. When is enough enough? When they are taxed out of their fortune and the poor have enough of their money to be middle class and then everybody is "middle class" and everybody is the same and no one has more than anyone else and everything is fair and equal and liberal fairy dust rains from the sky?

Posted Image

#108    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 11 December 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

You're wrong man. Math is math and it's factual, not convenient. So the gov doesn't spend more than it pulls in? The gov doesn't ask for more to pay down a debt? I shouldn't be upset that when they don't pay it down? In ten years we will be another $10T in debt and in ten years $75B from the rich is going to make a difference?

Yes it does spend more than it recieves. It's called deficit spending. Has been done for, well most of the last century. No, you should not be upset. During a downturn in the economy is the worst time to be "paying it down". 10 years. Where did you get that number - I know, pulled it out of someplace. Any number you come up with is arbitrary. And yes the 75B will make a difference. Small but still there it is.

But they do. They pay more than everybody exponentially. When is enough enough? When they are taxed out of their fortune and the poor have enough of their money to be middle class and then everybody is "middle class"

enough?!! They paid NINETY PERCENT 90% in the GLoRIous fifities. They have gotten off with huge breaks since then. The MINOR increase being proposed is nothing. And you're quite wrong in a spectacular way about the poor being middle class.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#109    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,548 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

View Postninjadude, on 11 December 2012 - 08:52 PM, said:

Yes it does spend more than it recieves. It's called deficit spending. Has been done for, well most of the last century. No, you should not be upset. During a downturn in the economy is the worst time to be "paying it down". 10 years. Where did you get that number - I know, pulled it out of someplace. Any number you come up with is arbitrary. And yes the 75B will make a difference. Small but still there it is.

enough?!! They paid NINETY PERCENT 90% in the GLoRIous fifities. They have gotten off with huge breaks since then. The MINOR increase being proposed is nothing. And you're quite wrong in a spectacular way about the poor being middle class.
So you admit the difference is small but can you admit that it is also meaningless when the over budget spending never stops?
So not paying 90% of your income is not paying enough? God, I'd hate to be rich in your world. Who's the one pining for the 50's here? And the part about the poor is not a statement about today. It's what happens when people like you run the country.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 11 December 2012 - 09:00 PM.

Posted Image

#110    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,652 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

View Postninjadude, on 11 December 2012 - 08:52 PM, said:

During a downturn in the economy is the worst time to be "paying it down".
How are we supposed to know when the Downturn is over? Obama's advisors said the Recession was over in the Sping of 2009. And here we are 3 1/2 years latter and we supposedly are still in a Downturn.

If you ask a Liberal they will always tell you we are in a downturn, that way they can justify spending of untold billions... and now trillions of dollars.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#111    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,716 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 11 December 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

So the rich are trying to knock down their closest competition, using Obama? That is not bad as far as conspiricy theorys go. Kind of like when medieval lords would wipe out merchant houses that were getting to influential/rich.
Not the 'rich'.  This is not a Conspiracy Theory...this is fact...there are some on this planet who are not just rich, I called them Super Rich, but in fact they are not even that ...they are Elite Wealth...old money my friend.  If you can get your head around confiscating the wealth of 'the rich' and how that doesn't affect them, then you can get your head around the whole Control Issue that governs the thinking of this Class.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#112    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,133 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 11 December 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

How are we supposed to know when the Downturn is over?

The same way that everyone else does. By looking at the numbers for the USA's GDP Growth.

#113    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,816 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

The GDP growth they report with zero percent interest rates and another trillion dollars of debt on the books every year?  

How about the GDP once interest rates start to rise beyond the control of the bond buying's diminishing returns to keep them at zero?   Then we'll know the downturn has just begun.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#114    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,133 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

View PostYamato, on 12 December 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

The GDP growth they report with zero percent interest rates and another trillion dollars of debt on the books every year?  

How about the GDP once interest rates start to rise beyond the control of the bond buying's diminishing returns to keep them at zero?   Then we'll know the downturn has just begun.

There's only one GDP.

#115    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,652 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostTiggs, on 12 December 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

The same way that everyone else does. By looking at the numbers for the USA's GDP Growth.

OK. So by this site...
http://www.multpl.co...-adjusted/table

The GDP has been going up for 3 years
See a graph of the numbers...
Attached File  GDP.jpg   93.63K   6 downloads

So then how many years of Growth are needed before we are NOT in a "Downturn"? How many years before we start to cut back and let the "upturn" instead fill the coffers, as Keynesian economics demands?

That graphs slope does not look so different from 2001 to 2004 then it does from 2010 to 2012

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#116    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,595 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 12 December 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

OK. So by this site...
http://www.multpl.co...-adjusted/table

The GDP has been going up for 3 years
See a graph of the numbers...
Attachment GDP.jpg

So then how many years of Growth are needed before we are NOT in a "Downturn"? How many years before we start to cut back and let the "upturn" instead fill the coffers, as Keynesian economics demands?

That graphs slope does not look so different from 2001 to 2004 then it does from 2010 to 2012

Several at more than 3% growth (as 2.5-4% is GDP created by new debts...which is not really growth). A normal country is in (real) recession when the GDP goes negative. Given of the loose treatment of debts (government, private and commercial) in the US anything below 3% is an actual recession...even in a good year.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#117    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,133 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 12 December 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

By raising tax rates?

Take a wild guess.

#118    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,652 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 12 December 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

Several at more than 3% growth (as 2.5-4% is GDP created by new debts...which is not really growth). A normal country is in (real) recession when the GDP goes negative. Given of the loose treatment of debts (government, private and commercial) in the US anything below 3% is an actual recession...even in a good year.
So we've not been doing really well since... when? A long azz time??

How can Keynesian economics work, when spending needs to occur always? When there is never a Upswing to provide funds to actually Fund the Downturn spending??

#119    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,652 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostTiggs, on 12 December 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

By raising tax rates?

Take a wild guess.
I really don't know, that is why I asked.

I'm going to guess (using current budget practices)... Never?

#120    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,133 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 12 December 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

I really don't know, that is why I asked.

I'm going to guess (using current budget practices)... Never?

Allegedly - there have been Democratic plans to raise tax rates recently.

Hint: This entire thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users