Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

'It's just my opinion'

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1    AtlantisRises

AtlantisRises

Oderint dum metuant

• 2,392 posts

• My time has not yet come either, Some are born post humously

Ecce homo
    Nietszche

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

I haven't been active on this site for quite a long time but the last few weeks I've been reading through, trying to reaclimatize myself to the ins and outs of UM and I've noticed something that is sort of annoying. What I mean is the number of people who will make a statement, generally contrary to either and individual in the thread or even the majority, often quite bluntly and then at the end of their statement add, often in parenthesis, that it is only their opinion.

It almost seems as if that statement is meant to straight away prevent any discussion, disagreement or illfeeling towards their statement. This occurs across all the sections of UM but as I generally read the Spirituality boards I notice it more here. Being that these are a discussion board everyone is, or at least should be, aware that we are stating our opinions, unless of course we have directly quoted someone elses. Thus saying that it is just your opinion is a totally redundant statement. And like most redundant statements it interrupts the flow of your writing and as such weakens the effect of it.

I recognise that poor english skills have a large part to do with this in some cases, nevertheless it does make the writers sounds sort of whiny.

Now I was wondering what other people think, what is your opinion. Do you feel that when someone states that something is their opinion that it in anyway validates their statement. Do you feel that you should respond to their posts any differently when they have stated this.

Dale

Posted Image

#2    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

POPULAR

It means....go ahead and make your argument, but my opinion isn't changing.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,717 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostAtlantisRises, on 28 August 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

I haven't been active on this site for quite a long time but the last few weeks I've been reading through, trying to reaclimatize myself to the ins and outs of UM and I've noticed something that is sort of annoying. What I mean is the number of people who will make a statement, generally contrary to either and individual in the thread or even the majority, often quite bluntly and then at the end of their statement add, often in parenthesis, that it is only their opinion.

Because most of the time it IS just an opinion.
To claim that your statement is an irrefutable fact is what squashes any discussion.

There are a great number of people everywhere that think their statements are facts and when on forums it is not so easy to decipher the context of a statement.

But then again, this is merely my opinion. ;)

Edited by Ryu, 28 August 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#4    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,533 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

Those who make such a statement are probably those who would like others to believe as they do, but recognise their individual right to not do so.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#5    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,115 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

It almost seems as if that statement is meant to straight away prevent any discussion, disagreement or illfeeling towards their statement. This occurs across all the sections of UM but as I generally read the Spirituality boards I notice it more here. Being that these are a discussion board everyone is, or at least should be, aware that we are stating our opinions, unless of course we have directly quoted someone elses. Thus saying that it is just your opinion is a totally redundant statement. And like most redundant statements it interrupts the flow of your writing and as such weakens the effect of it.

I recognise that poor english skills have a large part to do with this in some cases, nevertheless it does make the writers sounds sort of whiny.

Now I was wondering what other people think, what is your opinion. Do you feel that when someone states that something is their opinion that it in anyway validates their statement. Do you feel that you should respond to their posts any differently when they have stated this.

Dale

I have used the expression "IMO"in the past  because I dislike people who put forward an opinion as if it were a fact ,unless a statement is supported by evidence ,I think it should be made clear it is not a fact.and the expression IMO will normally suffice to show this

fullywired

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#6    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,553 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

I have seen people "yelled at" by others on this forum for NOT putting "just my opinion" or such one their posts. The general consensus seemed to be that they were declaring some great truth of the Universe if they didn't include that phrase.  It seems horribly picky and silly to me to insist that people include "in  my opinion" on a forum where everyone is constantly sharing their opinions.

I do not see this at all. I see people including "in my opinion" as a way to personalize and own whatever statement they make and essentially say that other people are entitled to their own. It's the people who say "this is true" and then go on to state an opinion that balk at alternative viewpoints.

In my opinion. :P

Embrace the impossible.

#7    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,927 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

I eventually use the "hey, it's my opinion and I'm comfortable with that" line when someone is unwilling to let a matter drop, and I'm repeating myself over and over. I usually go in a discussion with an understanding that we're just sharing opinions. But at some point someone latches on to an expressed opinion and won't let an "agree to disagree" view to stand. I'll begin with the "you're free to see it your way, but this is how I see it" reasoning, but eventually I just have to say it's an opinion so take it or leave it.

This kind of view happens here on the spirituality boards more than elsewhere because spiritual beliefs are essentially personal and experiences/beliefs inherently non-transferable.

That's as how I see it.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#8    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,409 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

POPULAR

My Dad used to say, "Everyone's entitled to their own opinions...just not their own facts" . Pretty much sums it up for me.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#9    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

I think we Christians state that it's our opinion merely because it is our opinion.  Remember that, from our perspective, we have the Holy Spirit which validates the experience for us.  There is a supernatural element to our life that can't be measured with scientific instruments.  I can handle being told I'm wrong simply because my experience is immeasurable.  What I do find annoying is the implication that I'm not even allowed to have an opinion.  It's difficult to discuss a topic without being allowed to use appropriate vocabulary.  I don't ask that a skeptic believe in God, but I do ask that the skeptic allow me to discuss the topic with terminology based on my experience.

Edited by J. K., 28 August 2013 - 02:36 PM.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#10    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,007 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostPurplos, on 28 August 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

I have seen people "yelled at" by others on this forum for NOT putting "just my opinion" or such one their posts. The general consensus seemed to be that they were declaring some great truth of the Universe if they didn't include that phrase.  It seems horribly picky and silly to me to insist that people include "in  my opinion" on a forum where everyone is constantly sharing their opinions.

For a long while there was a very outspoken, obnoxious group that insisted if you didn't exclaim something was "just my opinion" that it was being stated as a fact and constantly harassed people who didn't. :yes:

#11    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,993 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Dale

It is really nice to see you back posting AR. I do put some version of IMO almost on every post. I do this to establish(especially in a forum) a conversational environment of mutual respect. It is my way of saying, I think that what the other person says is just as viable- even if I disagree. I find I now have exchanges that are fruitful and productive since I have added IMO, so for me it works out better.

Edited by Sherapy, 28 August 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#12    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

Dale
No dale. I'm glad you Brought this up. I had a philosophy professor that taught us to always assume Somone is saying "I think" before every statement, and "some" before any generalization. This way we do not have to keep saying it all the time. I was in the habit of not putting those things in when I started posting on UM, but the sensitivities of people who can't get this concept forced me to start doing it again.  

It's a valid point.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#13    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,993 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostJ. K., on 28 August 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

I think we Christians state that it's our opinion merely because it is our opinion.  Remember that, from our perspective, we have the Holy Spirit which validates the experience for us.  There is a supernatural element to our life that can't be measured with scientific instruments.  I can handle being told I'm wrong simply because my experience is immeasurable.  What I do find annoying is the implication that I'm not even allowed to have an opinion.  It's difficult to discuss a topic without being allowed to use appropriate vocabulary.  I don't ask that a skeptic believe in God, but I do ask that the skeptic allow me to discuss the topic with terminology based on my experience.

I think you bring in an excellent point to remember J.K. Online is a bit different due to the limits, we really have not had the opportunity to get to know the person we are in dialog with, the unspokenesses that comes from body language and tone inflections are unknown to us. So for me-- I try and account for this and use IMO, to establish a rapport of respect. :)

Edited by Sherapy, 28 August 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#14    AtlantisRises

AtlantisRises

Oderint dum metuant

• 2,392 posts

• My time has not yet come either, Some are born post humously

Ecce homo
    Nietszche

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

And seeing you is the highlight of being back Shera. Perhaps it's just me being overly pedantic but I think that mutual respect should be implied, I'm well aware that it's often overlooked but it should just be there. I agree that whatever anyone says, no matter how disagreeable should be considered. I am also aware that if I say something that goes strongly against someones personal beliefs that my statement will be given less credibility by them because they disagree. Wether they realise it or not they will treat my statement differently because they do not agree with it. I'm aware of that, I accept that, indeed I'm guilty of it myself, for instance if the majority of a post is centered around biblical literature I'm going to gloss over it.

I just think that the fact that anything you state online, short of a mathematical certainty, is your opinion is implied. I think that a large reason behind a lot of the more volatile issues here is a clash of personalities as much as any difference in opinions. Certainly amongst the older posters who have read their counterparts opinions a thousand times and know more or less their opinions anyway animosities from previous threads will often find their way into new threads.

Posted Image

#15    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 28 August 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

Iv said that in posts and totally changed my thinking around after reading other posts, I think people mainly say that because they know someone else might have a different opinion and if they dont include "thats just my opinion' after they'll be attacked by everyone that disagrees.  If they say thats JMO after its kind of like they cover themselves.  Nobody likes to be ridiculed and personally attacked.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users