Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Top five regrets of dying people

seeder

I didnt know where best to put this article/post.

But its something I have often wondered about. What would 'you' regret if you were dying? Seriously?

Top five regrets of the dying

A nurse has recorded the most common regrets of the dying, and among the top ones is 'I wish I hadn't worked so hard'. What would your biggest regret be if this was your last day of life?

There was no mention of more sex or bungee jumps. A palliative nurse who has counselled the dying in their last days has revealed the most common regrets we have at the end of our lives. And among the top, from men in particular, is 'I wish I hadn't worked so hard'.

Bronnie Ware is an Australian nurse who spent several years working in palliative care, caring for patients in the last 12 weeks of their lives. She recorded their dying epiphanies in a blog called Inspiration and Chai, which gathered so much attention that she put her observations into a book called The Top Five Regrets of the Dying.

Ware writes of the phenomenal clarity of vision that people gain at the end of their lives, and how we might learn from their wisdom. "When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently," she says, "common themes surfaced again and again."

more

http://www.theguardi...ts-of-the-dying

Makes me want to get busy living! And not get busy dying

• Like 4

dead-like-me.jpg

This thread reminds of one of my favorite shows, Dead Like Me....

Edited by Kowalski

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

I kinda figured #1 would be something like that. I think 'nuff said.

• Like 4

I know id regret silly Fears that held me back. Insecurity. Not cuddling my mum enough and rising above family wars. We are all the same blood after all. Id also regret not traveling as far as I dreamed. Or even.being what I used to dream I could be!

• Like 5

I would regret certain mistakes that I have made and have kept secret.

• Like 3

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

This is so, so true to what I feel is important for myself in life. I've spent so much of my life trying so hard to be like everyone else, and growing a powerful, unhealthy fear of what everyone else thinks of my every move (when most likely, no one even cares anyway). What a free and beautiful life it would be if we could all truly be who we want to be, without fear of what others may think. This is what I believe true free will is: doing completely what you want only because you want it for yourself. It's what I dream of these days, and I think about it and try in any little way I can to achieve. I hope I'm not dying.

But it's just nice to see others agree with what I have been thinking about.

• Like 2

I would regret certain mistakes that I have made and have kept secret.

Like what exactly?

Seeder, they're secret for a reason. ;)

But nothing illegal, just a few very poor choices I've made. I don't even like admitting them to myself because sometimes the burden of my secrets can be very heavy.

• Like 3

There have been times in my life when things were hard and I wondered if life were worth it. These feelings tend to pass and now I am happy and fulfilled and although I want to live I will not feel regrets when life ends. It is not that I did everything right, but that when mistakes are made, one does ones best to correct them and then goes on.

These are the things my mom and I fought about. Work work work. Don't enjoy money, and just exist.

I regret a lot of things, but these five aren't any of them.

what would I regret?..... Huuummmmmmmmmm sorry I have to add a sixth... as I type this they would be

6) not catching a marlin

5) not bagging an elk or a moose during hunting season

4) not having ridden in and or driven a Ferrari or a lamberginni countach

3) not having children before my mother passed ( she and my father wanted grand children so badly it hurt when I didn't get in a position to give her some, even thongh I don't want then)

2) Not learning to fly a helicopter, float plane and hot air balloon ( I am so terrified of heights that it is impossible to do so if I go up a ladder more than two steps I tend to panic and the higher I get the worse it gets. I am banished from American air lines because of the last time I panicked)

Drum roll

1) not being able to go to and enjoy Carnival, mardi gras, and Woodstock

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1

what would I regret?..... Huuummmmmmmmmm sorry I have to add a sixth... as I type this they would be

6) not catching a marlin

5) not bagging an elk or a moose during hunting season

4) not having ridden in and or driven a Ferrari or a lamberginni countach

3) not having children before my mother passed ( she and my father wanted grand children so badly it hurt when I didn't get in a position to give her some, even thongh I don't want then)

2) Not learning to fly a helicopter, float plane and hot air balloon ( I am so terrified of heights that it is impossible to do so if I go up a ladder more than two steps I tend to panic and the higher I get the worse it gets. I am banished from American air lines because of the last time I panicked)

Drum roll

1) not being able to go to and enjoy Carnival, mardi gras, and Woodstock

forewarned is forearmed they say, why not make some of them come true? I had lessons gliders and microlights, used to make my stomach churn and my mouth bone dry.. but I did it. My mums 74 now, and ONLY NOW, does she want to go on a rollercoaster for the first time.

I guess her life has been tough, so what can a 4 mins rollercoater ride really compare too?

Seeder, they're secret for a reason. ;)

But nothing illegal, just a few very poor choices I've made. I don't even like admitting them to myself because sometimes the burden of my secrets can be very heavy.

ha sorry I forget to put a :lol: smiley on my post!! I was teasing only!

• Like 1

a four minute roller coaster ride would kill me , literally. if the terror didn't get me the heart murmur would.

the marlin I will never be able to afford the elk and moose I go after whenever legal and affordable on my budget

as for the children, I'm no longer interested in or desire to have them.

My biggest regret(my time is somewhat limited now being older) is not finding the "true meaning of life" and my place in it.

Not the past so much as the present, as I can forgive myself and all other's regarding one's past.

But before I die, I hope I can have that special sense of "knowing", whatever that might be.

• Like 2

I kinda figured #1 would be something like that. I think 'nuff said.

I think this would probably be true for me too. Although I try and live a life true to myself I do end up compromising quite a lot just to please other people.

• Like 2

I was hoping one of them would have said, "I wish I'd tried this morphine when I was younger".

• Like 3

Just a quickie post to stop people getting morose

The was a man who had four kids, all gorgeous, except for the youngest one, Craig, who was nothing short of gruesome. While on his deathbed, the husband asked his wife, "Marie, tell me one thing. And please be honest. Am I Craig's father?"

"Yes, honey," replied his wife. "I promise you, Craig is 100 percent yours."

"Then I can die a happy man. Godbye my love." And the man peacefully passed away.

Marie gave a big sigh and said quietly, "Thank heaven almighty he didn't ask me about the other three." :lol:

One more

Betty was on her deathbed with her husband, Jake, maintaining a steady vigil by her side. As he held her fragile hand, his warm tears ran silently down his face, splashed onto her face, and roused her from her slumber.

She looked up and her pale lips began to move slightly. "My darling Jake," she whispered.

"Hush, my love," he said. "Go back to sleep. Shhh. Don't talk." But she was insistent.

"Jake," she said in her tired voice. "I have to talk. I have something I must confess to you."

"There's nothing to confess," replied the weeping Jake. "It's all right. Everything's all right, go to sleep now."

"No, no. I must die in peace, Jake. I slept with your brother, your best friend and your father." Jake mustered a pained smile and stroked her hand. "Hush now Becky, don't torment yourself. I know all about it," he said. "Why do you think I poisoned you?" :w00t::clap:

• Like 7

I wonder what is heavier...

The regrets of a living person who deals with them on a daily basis..

Or the regrets of a dying person who will no longer have to deal with them.

I wonder what is heavier...

The regrets of a living person who deals with them on a daily basis..

Or the regrets of a dying person who will no longer have to deal with them.

I imagine that knowing for certain that you are dying, and that each breath may be your last, is heavier than any regrets.

• Like 1

I imagine that knowing for certain that you are dying, and that each breath may be your last, is heavier than any regrets.

I've had one particular near-death experience in which I did think about many things..

Perhaps the person who survives death has more regrets because they realize they've wasted time?

Although I suppose that thought does also apply to the one who actually knows for certain that their life is ending..

• Like 1