Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 2 votes

A lesson in American ignorance

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostBama13, on 03 October 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

So do most of the people in Italy or Spain believe in evolution? Since there are a majority of Catholics in those countries

yes they do. Their religion doesn't enter into it.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#62    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,603 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

View Postninjadude, on 03 October 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

yes they do. Their religion doesn't enter into it.

That is because the Catholic church had its Galileo, the evangelicals are still looking forward to that embarrassment  :devil:

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#63    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,648 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

There is a deistic position which most people now follow. it accepts that the mechanism's of life are evolution, as described by science - but because God partakes in everything he ultimately is responsible for evolution. I personally don't buy it at this stage (though I am still agnostic on the matter), but it is a position which allows most mainstream Christians to accept the theory of evolution lock stock and barrel.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#64    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

Well except apparently those in the US, which have proven their ignorance time and again.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#65    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

View Postninjadude, on 03 October 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

Well except apparently those in the US, which have proven their ignorance time and again.

Well except that the US does not lead all countries in the percentage of people believing in creationism.

% of people that believe in evolution:

Sweden 68%
Germany 65%
China 64%
Mexico 34%
US 28%
Russia 26%
Saudi Arabia 23%

So even by HuttonEtAl's definition of ignorance the US is not last.

I also found these:

% that believe in creationism

Saudi Arabia 75%
Turkey 60%
Indonesia 57%
Brazil 47%
US 40%
Russia 34%

Once again the US is not last (or first in this case).

HuttonEtAl's claim is refuted and shown to be false, even by his measuring critera, which is ridiculous in the first place.

I shoot, I score! :yes:

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#66    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,603 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostBama13, on 03 October 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

Well except that the US does not lead all countries in the percentage of people believing in creationism.

Sweden 68%
Germany 65%
China 64%
Mexico 34%
US 28%
Russia 26%
Saudi Arabia 23%

I also found these:

Saudi Arabia 75%
Turkey 60%
Indonesia 57%
Brazil 47%
US 40%
Russia 34%

HuttonEtAl's claim is refuted and shown to be false, even by his measuring critera, which is ridiculous in the first place.

Might be, but I hardly would take pride in being slightly ahead of Saudi Arabia, a place where culture is still rewarded by throwing rocks at it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#67    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,493 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 03 October 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

Might be, but I hardly would take pride in being slightly ahead of Saudi Arabia, a place where culture is still rewarded by throwing rocks at it.

I don't think anyone is taking pride in it.   Just proving that hutton was posting inaccurate information.
I take pride in many things about my country.    The education system at the ground level is not one of them (University - yes, public elementary - no).  2 party political system - No.  Space program - yes.   Innovation - yes.  The vast number of churches - yes.  I say yes to the churches because most do not teach creationism anymore.   They stay away from it.   Most churches are filled with very kind-hearted people who would help you out in a second if a tornado took your roof.  I don't believe in all they believe in, but I am very happy to have them as friends.

#68    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,369 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

For anyone who is interested, I thought that this was really interesting:

edited because I put in the wrong video, sorry!

Edited by Gummug, 03 October 2012 - 11:07 PM.

Posted Image

#69    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,369 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

And then there's this also (sorry I had the wrong video posted for a bit):

Edited by Gummug, 03 October 2012 - 11:26 PM.

Posted Image

#70    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 03 October 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Well thats really the saddest part about the whole thing. Guys, some who were top in thier field, instantly became garbage to the scientific community soon as they expressed doubt in parts evolution. You cant find much on these men. They have been black balled into completion. The smear attacks are relentless. Personaly I think there are probably alot more scientists who have doubt, but consider working more important then sharing those beliefs. There is no room to even debate the subject. These men were never even given a stage for 5 mins to express why they believe what they believe. They were instantly labled crazy and swept under the rug. I could give you names. Names with a long list of acomplishments. Then you in turn will dig up insane amounts of dirt of them from men who just cant conceive being questioned regarding thier beliefs.

This is just a fantasy.  No one attacks anyone with a different idea in science, that is what science is all about.  The problem with creationists is the constant lies.

#71    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

So do most of the people in Italy or Spain believe in evolution? Since there are a majority of Catholics in those countries I wonder if the majority believe in evolution or creationism? If the majority believe in creationism wouldn't they be just as ignorant, according to your definition?

You know I looked at a lot of definitions of "ignorance" and not one had your critera of believing creationism over evolution as proof of ignorance.

So I will just say that my new definition of ignorance is anyone that uses "EtAl" in their screen name. :innocent:

Catholics usually accept evolution.

#72    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 03 October 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Irreducable complexity goes into far more detail then what you have explained here. Bacterial flegellum is a great example. I watched a entire documentary on the subject that went into great detail on why it could have never been anything less then it is. Broke down each part, its function, and why it exists, and why it couldnt have been any less then what it is. If all you know regarding this is a conversation your professor had (which no offense, but I find very hard to believe, not saying you are lieing about it, but I think your proffessor did) its no wonder you dismiss it so easily.

You dont have to PM me. Ive had these conversations a hundred times. Neither of us is going to change the others mind. And being we are totaly off topic, and in the wrong section to even be having this conversation, Im going to save this for another time and place.

Bacterial flagellum is the worst example since the parts exist in many different forms, so it is many other things else.

#73    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:40 AM

Personnally I don't think "unreducable complexity" or whatever it is called Prooves Creationism. If anything it simply cuts back on our understanding of how evolution happens. Proof of Creationism would require direct and recorded data collected from a verified Deity. Only God can proove Creationism.

Edited by DieChecker, 04 October 2012 - 03:41 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#74    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:52 AM

So do most of the people in Italy or Spain believe in evolution? Since there are a majority of Catholics in those countries I wonder if the majority believe in evolution or creationism? If the majority believe in creationism wouldn't they be just as ignorant, according to your definition?

You know I looked at a lot of definitions of "ignorance" and not one had your critera of believing creationism over evolution as proof of ignorance.

So I will just say that my new definition of ignorance is anyone that uses "EtAl" in their screen name. :innocent:

Looks like your question was answered...The Catholic Church accepts evolution as scientific fact.

View Postpreacherman76, on 03 October 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Irreducable complexity goes into far more detail then what you have explained here. Bacterial flegellum is a great example. I watched a entire documentary on the subject that went into great detail on why it could have never been anything less then it is. Broke down each part, its function, and why it exists, and why it couldnt have been any less then what it is. If all you know regarding this is a conversation your professor had (which no offense, but I find very hard to believe, not saying you are lieing about it, but I think your proffessor did) its no wonder you dismiss it so easily.

Who was the documentary by? These are things we need to know because I have seen arguments for the opposite. Of course I explained it simply because I am not trying to write a book in this thread.

Because no one takes the time to click on the damn links in my sig, I will explain it here. I am a Religious Studies major, a History major, an Education major, and a Jewish Studies minor. The main area of my study is the evolution-ceationism controversy (because it covers all of my areas and I am going into teaching.) I have taken many classes that cover these issues, not just had a few convos with professors. Here are some of the classes I have taken related to this topic...
Biology (BIOL)
The Evolution and Biology of Sex (BIOL)
Scientific Reasoning (PHIL)
Religion and Ethics in Educational Policy (EDU)
The Darwinian Revolution (HSCI)
Understanding the Evolution-Creationism Controversy (BIOL)
Currently taking Philosophy of Biology (PHIL)
and will be taking Darwin and Design (PHIL)
Philosophy of Religion (PHIL)

I have had classes in a number of different departments, with a number of different professors that have very different beliefs. The professor that got me into the topic was my Religion and Ethics in Educational Policy teacher, Professor Osburn. He is an Evangelical Protestant...we are good friends to this day. Randy Moore a biology professor has written a number of books on the topic and is a great scholar in the area. Alan Love, the professor for the PHIL classes (except PHIL of religion) has a BS in Biology (with a minor in philosophy from MIT,) a MA in Biology, and a Ph.D. in Philosophy. The other PHIL professor is an existentialist, and creationist, with a Ph.D. from Harvard in Philosophy. I also have a whole stack of books and DVDs about this topic...What I am saying is this is not some crap that I quickly Googled...

View PostBama13, on 03 October 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

Sweden 68%
Germany 65%
China 64%
Mexico 34%
US 28%
Russia 26%
Saudi Arabia 23%

I also found these:

Saudi Arabia 75%
Turkey 60%
Indonesia 57%
Brazil 47%
US 40%
Russia 34%

If you are going to refute me and show me to be false, please read what I say...

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 29 September 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

Valid point but I think Americans are a lot more ignorant than most of the West. Don't believe me...look at the numbers of how many people in America do not believe in evolution...

Since you had to Google "ignorance" to figure out the meaning, I suggest you also Google the word "most" and also what people consider the "West."

So let me get this straight...Your argument against me is that 28% of Americans believe in evolution and 40% believe in creationism? That is kind of the point I am making...Apparently our biggest rivals in ignorance are Russia and Saudi Arabia...the home of the greatest of the world's scholars...

Thanks for that poll though...you supported my statement 100% Not a single country that is listed, that supports your argument is in the West...

Here are some things you might find interesting...
http://rankingameric...e-of-evolution/

"According to a 2006 study first published in the magazine, Science, the United States ranks thirty-third out of thirty four nations (32 in Europe plus Japan and the United States) in acceptance of evolution. Iceland ranks first. Only Turkey ranked lower than the United States in the acceptance of evolution."

In addition to that the US is ranked 23 in the world in science according to multiple articles.
http://www.timesfree...n-math-science/

Here is one. So who are the 23 countries better than the US at science? Why are we so bad at science? I wonder if it has anything to do with the acceptance of evolution...

Edited by HuttonEtAl, 04 October 2012 - 06:43 AM.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#75    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostBama13, on 02 October 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

So because some people belive one theory (evolution) while others believe a different theory (creationism) America is the most ignorant? Since neither are proven, hence the word "Theory of Evolution" and "Theory of Creationism", how do you know who is right. Only by the Theory you choose to believe.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they are ignorant. Your hubris knows no bounds.

repost from another thread where the same misconception arose;

View PostRender, on 07 September 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Ah, the ever so popular faux-argument of "It still is just a theory". It expresses no more than a lack of insight in what a scientific theory trully means. Of course the theory of evolution, like the theory of relativity is in a way, just a theory. But for ppl from your background this automatically entails that this is no more than an unproved belief, which can be replaced by any alternative "theory" out there. Like the theory of genesis. But these two meanings of theories are being unjustifiably equated.
A scientific theory is more than just a presumption. If it holds truth it explains a series of facts, coherently and is also entwined with several other theories from other scientific fields. For example: theory of evolution is linked to chemistry, paleontology, geology and many more fields. If the theory of evolution would be so wrong, like you claim, then all these other fields have to be wrong too. Which is not the case.

Of course there are still unsolved things in science. But instead as taking that as proof that everything must be wrong, science does whatever it can to fill in the blanks.

Your pseudo-scientific view focusses on an isolated presumption and takes that as evidence that the entire theory is flawed. Which proves a severe misunderstanding of scientific theories as a whole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users