Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

If we all turned vegetarian....

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

What a fun little thread.

Something to pull my brain away from the Conspiracy Page.

If we didn't eat the cows, then they would continue to reproduce at an alarming rate.

Their production of methane gas would cause the world to explode when I light up for a cigarette.

This is the reason why I eat cow.

To save the world.

No, you surround yourself with a whole different kettle of crazy. - Sir Wearer of Hats

#47    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,553 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:32 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 30 September 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

Yes.. The ecology of the earth would change.. Dramatically.,... But only bear in mind that our vegan brothers and sisters could not presue their lifestyle without modern economy's full of meat lovers.

Why couldn't they?

Think about that for a half an hour. But you might need a little education on the nutritional needs of humans an the environments they get them from.

Not sure what you're saying here. I'm no vegetarian and I love my steak - but humans don't need to eat meat to fill their nutritional requirements. There's nothing in meat that you can't get elsewhere. Where people still practice a 'hunter/gatherer' existence in parts of southern Africa, the women who provide the veges and nuts contribute equivalent calories and proteins as the men who provide the meat. There's a lot of evidence that meat was a rich source of fats and proteins that contributed to the evolution of increased intelligence in humans, but this is irrelevant to any argument on the necessity of meat in our diets now.

#48    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

yes if man kind totally stopped eating meat, many of the species we breed for meat would become extinct unless we kept them in zoos for people to come see.  To many of them have become totally dependant on man and with the rapidly dwindling resources and  open land on this planet there would not be room on the planet for them.  (chickens for example  chickens  could not be released into the wilds and survive. when i was raising them for meat ( open range by day fenced in and contained at night) 30 years ago one chicken in fifty would actually brood the eggs it laid. if we left the eggs there for the chickens to hatch they sat and rotted.
If man vanished tomorrow most domesticated animals and farm raised food animals would vanish ( either by predation or starvation ) within a couple years.

P.S.  as long as i have any choice  I will never become a vegitarian  and I love most vegies

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 30 September 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#49    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,751 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Domesticated animals would get slaughtered by predators in much less humane ways than we do it...

Posted Image

#50    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostRaptorBites, on 30 September 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

What a fun little thread.

Something to pull my brain away from the Conspiracy Page.

If we didn't eat the cows, then they would continue to reproduce at an alarming rate.

Their production of methane gas would cause the world to explode when I light up for a cigarette.

This is the reason why I eat cow.

To save the world.

My hero!

I can see a staute of you being built....
You have a match in your hand and a thoughtful look on your face....
On the base the words: 'I smell cow-fart, bring me a burger!"

Edited by Atlantia, 30 September 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#51    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

Well there is a more than intelligent response to this question... Thank god... A rarity for um.

Yes.. The ecology of the earth would change.. Dramatically.,... But only bear in mind that our vegan brothers and sisters could not presue their lifestyle without modern economy's full of meat lovers.

Think about that for a half an hour. But you might need a little education on the nutritional needs of humans an the environments they get them from.

Hi Seeker.

I don't see the logic in that (the red highlighted part), can you elaborate?

#52    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,009 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 30 September 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

Hi Seeker.

I don't see the logic in that (the red highlighted part), can you elaborate?

Does the application of manure sound like something you relate to vegetables?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#53    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 30 September 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Not exactly an insummountable obstacle though is it?

#54    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,009 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 30 September 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

Not exactly an insummountable obstacle though is it?

In as far as the organic matter in it, very much a problem, as far as the chemistry it is not. And as is shown in places where mostly artificial fertilizers are used, the ground looses its water accumulating potential and its break down strength of harmful substances.

The "Natural" way to sow is to eat a fruit, poop out the undigested seeds and out of that mass new plants grow.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#55    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 30 September 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

In as far as the organic matter in it, very much a problem, as far as the chemistry it is not. And as is shown in places where mostly artificial fertilizers are used, the ground looses its water accumulating potential and its break down strength of harmful substances.

The "Natural" way to sow is to eat a fruit, poop out the undigested seeds and out of that mass new plants grow.

Practices would have to change. But doing without animal manure is only one of the changes that would be needed.

#56    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,009 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 30 September 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

Practices would have to change. But doing without animal manure is only one of the changes that would be needed.

Sorry, but the little I know about farming is that the natural ways are the best ways. And if I have to eat a pig occasionally to farm naturally so be it.

about me

#57    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Njuggle

• 9,244 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 30 September 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Vegetables do just fine with 100% vegetable matter as fertiliser.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

#58    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,009 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 30 September 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Vegetables do just fine with 100% vegetable matter as fertiliser.

which is exactly why they germinate best when past through a digestive track.... right.

That is the same as saying cannibalism works fine. Well it does not because certain lipids and vitamins are transformed by the eaten organism rendering them useless for the next consumer. Same with plants, there will be transformed minerals and so on that the next generation plant will not be able to absorb for lack of them.

The ecosystem is a big interdependent circle, the bird eats the worm, the worm the dead bird and the grass the excrement of both of them. Whatever you take out will create an imbalance over time, even if it can continue rachitic for a while.

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users