Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The science behind vampires & monsters

Still Waters

The suave and sensitive Edward Cullen of "Twilight" may be the norm for vampires these days, but fictional monsters such as Dracula originally sprang from the fear of inexplicable diseases and the mysteries of death in the natural world.

So argues science journalist Matt Kaplan in "Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite: The Science of Monsters," an examination of monsters around the world and throughout history - the science behind their origins, and why they matter to us even now.

http://www.reuters.c...E8M621720121108

• Like 1

Fear may of been what created such tales as Dracula but now the need to be frightened by reading books or seeing a movie is what keeps it going.

• Like 2

Fear may of been what created such tales as Dracula but now the need to be frightened by reading books or seeing a movie is what keeps it going.

Yeah I dont know If thats so good for mankind that that is the way things work now days, and if you ask me they just reshape the same original movies these days. Its soo hard to find some originality in this day and age.

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x
  • Like 4

Before interview with a vampire ,new Orleans wasn't known for vampires,worldwide ,as it is now . It was more local lore,that came from many reports of bodies that oozed blood from their mouth ,and their hair grew.

A particular disease caused the mouth blood . So witnesses assumed they had bloddy mouths from biting and drinking blood from humans and animals .

There were certain biological events that occurred within the deceased that made it seem as though they recently fed:

-The blood at the mouth, due to.. well, something. :unsure2:

-Gases bloating up the body, making it seem like a full stomach of blood after a long night of drinking. :tu:

Because of this, many people back then ASSUMED that they walked about. Soo, they went ahead and staked the body, or burned it, or sliced their heads cleanly off. Hence the vampire legends.

I was happily reading that article thinking it's going to be interesting and intellectual until I read this:

Some are simple. The Kraken tales of mammoth monster squid, along with the Leviathan of the Bible, are most likely based upon the existence of real creatures such as whales.

What?!

Or just throwing this out there... Giant Squid.. you know the thing that exists... no? Ok lets say whales then cause obviously a mammoth monster squid is more likely to have been a whale than a giant squid. LOL

• Like 3

I suggest to people to actually read the article before they comment here :)

Edited by BorisIWantToKnow

I was happily reading that article thinking it's going to be interesting and intellectual until I read this:

What?!

Or just throwing this out there... Giant Squid.. you know the thing that exists... no? Ok lets say whales then cause obviously a mammoth monster squid is more likely to have been a whale than a giant squid. LOL

LMAO

Why are we so comfortable with feeling elated as inhuman beasts rip apart people? I think a long, hard look in the mirror can provide a lot of answers," he said.

Yeah... I don't know if it has to be that deep.

I love scary movies with monsters because they're fun. If its truly scary it gets your great racing and your behind at the edge of your seat! And asthe author of the article states toward the beginning we know we're safe because its just a movie. :)

I think fear is one of the strongest emotions a human can have

• Like 1

What?!

Well given the way Levitihan is described in the Bible. he's more whale-y then squid-y.

A great swallowing mouth etc is more in the whale's arsenal then a squid's, if I was a desert living sheep herder trying to describe a whale I'd call it a "damn big fish" but I'd call a squid either "a bloody nightmare of arms" or "like a great ******* spider in the water".

• Like 2

It's definitely one of the most overwhelming.

It's definitely one of the most overwhelming.

Yeah you scare someone bad enough and you can get them to do practically anything

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

I agree with you, fear is powerful. Its the basis of a lot of heinous acts... Murder, greed, violence. Its the fear of being alone, of being poor, of getting hurt or any multitude of negativity.

Its also the basis for a lot of religions / cults to control their membErs, even governments to control the masses.

It's also a good thing, we need fear to keep us from doing dangerous things. Doesn't work for everyone though... Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Blood and disease... Yup, sounds like darkness to me!

Vampires have been "around" since the biblical times. Some believe in a vampiric lady named Lilith who was punished by God to roam the Earth as a Vampire. There have been legends through-out Greece and Egypt as well. Then when the Middle Ages came, any advanced ideas that were present in the Ancient Civilizations were lost. So, instead of using logical thinking and keeping the vampires for the stories, people from the Middle Ages to about the 19th century have argued about Vampires existence. As others have mentioned, it was to strike fear and make others behave, but it was also to explain the unexplained. Recent days, Dracula was still romanticized! Forever Knight, one of the first Vampire TV shows as well as shows like the "Munsters" showed vampires as sexy, funny, or sensitive creatures. It's gone from the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles, to the Anita Blake Series to now Twilight and Vampire Diaries. A shame really.

Vampires have been "around" since the biblical times. Some believe in a vampiric lady named Lilith who was punished by God to roam the Earth as a Vampire. There have been legends through-out Greece and Egypt as well. Then when the Middle Ages came, any advanced ideas that were present in the Ancient Civilizations were lost. So, instead of using logical thinking and keeping the vampires for the stories, people from the Middle Ages to about the 19th century have argued about Vampires existence. As others have mentioned, it was to strike fear and make others behave, but it was also to explain the unexplained. Recent days, Dracula was still romanticized! Forever Knight, one of the first Vampire TV shows as well as shows like the "Munsters" showed vampires as sexy, funny, or sensitive creatures. It's gone from the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles, to the Anita Blake Series to now Twilight and Vampire Diaries. A shame really.

Underlining, mine.

I don't know, Robert Pattinson creeps the heck out of me. And I've never even seen a "Twilight" movie or read the books. He's definitely not sexy.

Some believe in a vampiric lady named Lilith who was punished by God to roam the Earth as a Vampire.

I thought she was just a whore?

I thought she was just a whore?

No, I don't think she was. I know she was jealous of Eve though and was rather demonic, but she wasn't a whore. Then again, this is supposedly found in the Torah and in the bible.

Source 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith (Not always reliable, but a go to source.)

Source 2: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1513/whats-the-story-on-lilith-adams-first-wife

Apparently she eats babies and haunts men. Also, you may be thinking of Salome. She was considered a witch and whore. I'm no bible expert though.

http://answers.agblogger.org/2008/03/29/salome-in-the-bible/

• 3 weeks later...

There are some conditions in which a person will actually drink blood. What's to stop a person from sharpening a few teeth and biting a few necks? I believe they're out there.

There are some conditions in which a person will actually drink blood. What's to stop a person from sharpening a few teeth and biting a few necks? I believe they're out there.

these are not actual vampires from lore though... these type peoeple would be mentally disturbed individuals

• Like 1