Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Where Did God Come From?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#31    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 211 posts

• ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

The fact is man invented time as a way of bringing order to and compartmentalizing the day and night,and then later as our understanding of the seasons and the cosmos expanded we were able to use this tool to further civilization by identifying weeks, months,years etc. No need for a deity on this one. Danielost, not sure what you meant by " So that all things on earth did not happen all at once".

Edited by Royal, 15 March 2013 - 12:41 PM.

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#32    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,901 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

People invented units to talk about time and devices to measure it, but surely you don't think we invented time itself?

#33    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostRoyal, on 15 March 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

The fact is man invented time as a way of bringing order to and compartmentalizing the day and night,and then later as our understanding of the seasons and the cosmos expanded we were able to use this tool to further civilization by identifying weeks, months,years etc. No need for a deity on this one. Danielost, not sure what you meant by " So that all things on earth did not happen all at once".

That would be so that the past, present, and future don't take place at once.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#34    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,293 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

View Postdanielost, on 15 March 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

But "all at once" is also a time-specific reference.  Is it not?

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#35    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 211 posts

• ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 15 March 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

People invented units to talk about time and devices to measure it, but surely you don't think we invented time itself?
  Time the way we understand it is immaterial to anyone but us.Rocks,creatures,plants, planets cannot tell time the way we tell time,and don't call me shirley.

#36    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

View Postdanielost, on 15 March 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

How could this happen anyway?

#37    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,901 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

The greatest mountains erode away.  Time happens to everything.

#38    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 15 March 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

The greatest mountains erode away.  Time happens to everything.
I agree time happens to everything, but time only means something to us. Even all the other living creatures on this planet do not understand the concept of time, they may feel the effects of time, but they do not know that it is March 15,2013 according to the Gregorian calendar.

#39    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostRoyal, on 15 March 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

I agree time happens to everything, but time only means something to us. Even all the other living creatures on this planet do not understand the concept of time, they may feel the effects of time, but they do not know that it is March 15,2013 according to the Gregorian calendar.

The plant eaters follow the grass.  The meat eaters stay put.

God created the seasons at the start of the world.  Later he created months so that the Isrealites could have three holidays.  Man created hours, minutes, and seconds.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#40    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

View Postdanielost, on 15 March 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

The plant eaters follow the grass.  The meat eaters stay put.

God created the seasons at the start of the world.  Later he created months so that the Isrealites could have three holidays.  Man created hours, minutes, and seconds.
   First thing, the carnivores follow the food source wherever it goes,Second; which deity created the Chinese calendar  with it's months and seasons?

Edited by Royal, 15 March 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#41    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 22,651 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 15 March 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Arguments that wind down to things like, "Since the existence of nothing is a contradiction in terms then something has to exist and that is God" never made much sense to me, and I don't think I'm alone.

Better known as the g-d  of gaps argument.

#42    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

View PostRoyal, on 15 March 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

First thing, the carnivores follow the food source wherever it goes,Second; which deity created the Chinese calendar  with it's months and seasons?

You need to watch big cat diary.

I didn't say all calendars were made by god.  I know of four calenders in use today.  Not sure the buddist have their own calenders, or the other religeons.

#43    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

View Postdanielost, on 16 March 2013 - 12:23 AM, said:

You need to watch big cat diary.

I didn't say all calendars were made by god.  I know of four calenders in use today.  Not sure the buddist have their own calenders, or the other religeons.
   No what you said was that God created months, to which I asked you if God created the Chinese version of months? Also I don't need to watch a tv show to know that all carnivores don't sit back and wait for the Gazeles to return from spring break, and what that has to do with the OP, I have no idea.

#44    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,901 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

Vietnam used the standard Western calendar except that the names of the months and of the days of the week aren't named after ancient deities but are simply counting numbers preceded by a "month" or a "day" specifier (a "specifier" is a part of speech not found much in English that tells you what kind of thing you are talking about).

One other difference: we use CE and BCE rather than AD and BC.

There also exists the "lunar calendar" (the Western calendar is generally called the "solar calendar").  It is uses to calculate certain dates (mainly when Tet begins) but otherwise generally ignored.  I think the Vietnames lunar calendar came from China.

#45    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

More then one definition of time. Time in this case is just a sequential progression of things that exist.  Like using letters and spaces to form words and sentences is shows how time works. The faster you type the measurement of time in wpm will become distorted but the sequential progression of the letters and spaces still stays the same. (Both versions of time are taking in to consideration there :P)

Time didn't have to be created, It's a byproduct of existence.

Never understood God concepts like these involving trying to convince yourself that nothing is actually something.

Edited by Jinxdom, 16 March 2013 - 09:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users