Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Term 'Illegal Immigrant' dropped by press

Drayno

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/press-drops-illegal-immigrant-standards-book/story?id=18862824#.UVxIU6KG2E6

What?

Political correctness..

If they enter this county illegally - they don't have to be from Mexico, they could be from Canada, they're a criminal.

And an immigrant. Thus, illegal immigrant.. It looks like the Democrats need more votes, folks.

• Like 5

http://abcnews.go.co...24#.UVxIU6KG2E6

What?

Political correctness..

If they enter this county illegally - they don't have to be from Mexico, they could be from Canada, they're a criminal.

And an immigrant. Thus, illegal immigrant.. It looks like the Democrats need more votes, folks.

I like the comment that said we should call them "foreign invaders". Works for me.

• Like 5

Foreign invader, that works for me too.

I don't get all this political correctness, they immigrated here illegally so that makes them illegal immigrants. If this offends you don't break the law.

• Like 7

I have nothing against actual immigration - legal immigration.

The US would never have developed the atomic bomb (which I wish they never did), without immigrant German scientists.

There are many intelligent and skilled people in this world outside of the US - doctors, lawyers, teachers, who could only benefit our country.

Illegal immigration is just simply what it is. To paint another picture is intentionally deceiving.

• Like 5

I like the comment that said we should call them "foreign invaders". Works for me.

I prefer "criminal".

• Like 4

I have nothing against actual immigration - legal immigration.

The US would never have developed the atomic bomb (which I wish they never did), without immigrant German scientists.

There are many intelligent and skilled people in this world outside of the US - doctors, lawyers, teachers, who could only benefit our country.

Illegal immigration is just simply what it is. To paint another picture is intentionally deceiving.

I agree. Many Americans have ancestors who were immigrants. But, here is the thing: They came here legally!

• Like 2

I agree. Many Americans have ancestors who were immigrants. But, here is the thing: They came here legally!

Are you sure? Whose side of the story are you telling here? ;)

• Like 1

The next thing you know, we're going to be calling 'child molesters' by the name of 'child harm-doers'.

I have nothing against immigration. My mom migrated LEGALLY from New Zealand. She got all her paperwork and residency card. Ironically enough, the card she received when first arriving said "alien immigrant."

People aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

They are what they are. Quit trying to fancy it up.

• Like 3

Check out: http://cis.org/ImmigrantCrime

• The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) estimates that immigrants (legal and illegal) comprise 20 percent of inmates in prisons and jails. The foreign-born are 15.4 percent of the nation’s adult population. However, DHS has not provided a detailed explanation of how the estimates were generated.
  • Under contract to DHS in 2004, Fentress, Inc., reviewed 8.1 million inmate records from state prison systems and 45 large county jails. They found that 22 percent of inmates were foreign-born. But the report did not cover all of the nation’s jails.
  • The 287(g) program and related efforts have found high rates of illegal alien incarceration in some communities. But it is unclear if the communities are representative of the country:
    • Maricopa County, Ariz.: 22 percent of felons are illegal aliens;
    • Lake County, Ill.: 19 percent of jail inmates are illegal aliens;
    • Collier County, Fla.: 20 to 22 percent of jail inmates and arrestees are illegal aliens;
    • Weld County, Colo.: 12.8 to 15.2 percent of those jailed are illegal aliens.

[*]In 2009, 57 percent of the 76 fugitive murderers most wanted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) were foreign-born. It is likely however that because immigrants can more readily flee to other countries, they comprise a disproportionate share of fugitives.

Also: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/29/border-states-dealing-illegal-immigrant-crime-data-suggests/

While the correlation between illegal immigrants and crime is almost impossible to quantify precisely, the available numbers indicate that Arizona -- as well as California and Texas -- are dealing with increased crime as a result of high illegal immigrant populations and activity.

Part of this is because some of those immigrants are being arrested based on immigration-related charges. A Pew Hispanic Center report last year said "increased enforcement" of immigration laws accounts for part of the trend.

But there are other crimes, many of which are drug-related. Furthermore, illegal immigrants and smuggling organizations have been linked to some specific violent crimes in Arizona. Local officials frequently cite the rash of kidnappings in their state in defending the new law. The Department of Justice's latest National Drug Threat Assessment says there were 267 kidnappings in Phoenix last year and 299 in 2008. The report said the victims usually have a connection to immigrant smuggling groups or drug traffickers.

Jay Leno made a funny. He said from now on they'll be call 'undocumented democrats'.

• Like 6

Are you sure? Whose side of the story are you telling here? ;)

do you have strong evidence of him not telling the facts, or you just cherypicking his words cuz you don't like what he says??

Jay Leno made a funny. He said from now on they'll be call 'undocumented democrats'.

Perfect. That's what it's all about anyway. Getting that vote.

• Like 1

Rush Limbaugh coined the phrase in 2010.

I heard it on Rush today right as I turned off the ignition. Didn't catch the lead up or anything. Just heard that and thought it was funny.

Illegal Immigrant has always been a bad term to use. It makes it sound as if they are the same as immigrants. They are not. Illegals have broken the law and must pay restitution. It's that simple. Now, I can't blame the illegals completely. It is our fault that the border is porous. But that is for another thread. It doesn't matter if they are called Illegal Immigrants or Undocumented Aliens, a rose is still a rose by any other name.

• Like 2

do you have strong evidence of him not telling the facts, or you just cherypicking his words cuz you don't like what he says??

I wasn't cherrypicking at all; I responded to the whole phrase. And I asked him a question, because from a different point of view, many Americans (and by that I mean all people living in the Americas, not only US Americans) are the descendants of invaders.

I wasn't cherrypicking at all; I responded to the whole phrase. And I asked him a question, because from a different point of view, many Americans (and by that I mean all people living in the Americas, not only US Americans) are the descendants of invaders.

Likely the same for many many inhabitants of other countries around the world. That was all hundreds of years ago. Not one person alive today had a single thing to do with that stuff. Also, your statement isn't true. It's not all people. No ancestor of mine was in the America's until the mid to late 1800's.

• Like 2

Indeed, And I only said many, not all.

I only meant to say that it depends on your point of view.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Just FYI...immigration regulation didn't start until 1875.

Since every square inch of land lived on by anyone was likely taken from someone else, who isn't this true for.
  • Like 1

Just FYI...immigration regulation didn't start until 1875.

I am well aware of that, but it has nothing to do with my point. People before 1875 were immigrating for the same reasons than after (a better life). The difference is that a certain kind of people (mainly uneducated) have little to no chance of immigrating these days.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Since every square inch of land lived on by anyone was likely taken from someone else, who isn't this true for.

As I say, it's all down to your point of view. I'm not trying to paint an evil picture of anyone here.

Indeed, And I only said many, not all.

I only meant to say that it depends on your point of view.

Gotcha. Looked like you kind of said both but I digress. We could have common ancestry for all we know. I'm mainly German/Hungarian and supposedly have a little native American blood in my veins though nobody knows that for sure.

• Like 2

I am well aware of that, but it has nothing to do with my point. People before 1875 were immigrating for the same reasons than after (a better life). The difference is that a certain kind of people (mainly uneducated) have little to no chance of immigrating these days.

I wasn't arguing with you. I just threw it out there as one of those useless facts that collect in my head. :P

I would have to disagree with your second point. I know a restaurant that hires unskilled immigrants that are working towards their citizenship. The immigrants have sponsors that help them get started here.

• Like 2

And yet again it must be explained that this is not a criminal act. It's only criminal if caught crossing the border or a few other circumstances. Immigration is a CIVIL statute. Do you call issues before a CIVIL court criminal? I think not. Most Americans have no idea what these terms mean. It's the good ol boy theory of everything.

While every crime violates the law, not every violation of the law counts as a crime; for example: breaches of contract and of other civil law may rank as "offences" or as "infractions". Modern societies generally regard crimes as offences against the public or the state, as distinguished from torts (wrongs against private parties that can give rise to a civil cause of action).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime