Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

why do you not want god to exist

danielost

Yes I asked this in the thread why do you want god to exist.

But I have decided to make a new topic for it.

I have seen people on here bending over back-wards to make sure that we do not believe in God.

Now I may have misread those posts. But why is it so important that God not exist to those of you who do not want him to exist

If God doesn't exist what replaces him? A man made religion which we call science? I know you are going to say all religions are man made and you are correct up to that point.

Sorry but I don't write long posts usually. As some have noted I have a lack of writing skills.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wombat

• danielost

• Beckys_Mom

• --Mandalore--

I could care less either way.

I don't think people have sufficient evidence to believe in God. From a philosophical viewpoint I don't think it is logical to believe in God. Therefore I think that God definitely has no place in our legal or educational systems.

I also think that the God of many religions has many undesirable traits and is morally suspect - so I suppose you could say that in that context I do not want him to exist.

I just like nutting it out - it is not like I am violently opposed to a God existing - I just think there is insufficient evidence at this stage. I am not going to pretend that I know all the secrets of the universe, who started it and why. I would like to find out - but for me to believe it will have to be very compelling. Until then I will just be content learning about life.

Also it may be like an ant trying to comprehend a human. They may feel vibrations and movement, but will they be able to comprehend us in any meaningful sense?

If God doesn't exist - what replaces him? Why does he need replacing? I hum along very contentedly without him.

I have seen people on here bending over back-wards to make sure that we do not believe in God.

Now I may have misread those posts. But why is it so important that God not exist to those of you who do not want him to exist

If God doesn't exist what replaces him? A man made religion which we call science? I know you are going to say all religions are man made and you are correct up to that point.

Sorry but I don't write long posts usually. As some have noted I have a lack of writing skills.

There's no need to find a replacement right away. What's wrong with saying "I don't know"?

I agree with Belqis....

But for me personally....i don't care one way or the other....what bothers me is when those who do believe in God try to force their belief onto others because they feel they are superiour or better then those of us who don't believe in him....I am bothered by my son hearing about him in any way shape or form in school....I am annoyed by a bible still being used in courts of law and i am annoyed that somehow you believing in him gives you some moral supremecy over everyone who is not in the christian faith....so i suppose as Belqis said it would make life easier if he was proven false....then at least everyone one would truely be on equal ground instead of categorized as believer or non....

I would be totally fine with the existence of God, and even hope for it.. but if that god turns out to be yahweh, allah or any other similar god in personality, I think we all would in for a lot of suffering and thus would be better off without a god.

-GBA

what bothers me is when those who do believe in God try to force their belief onto others because they feel they are superiour or better then those of us who don't believe in him

Please tell me where these people are, I have yet to see anyone really trying to prove god's existance, most of the threads about god (here) are from atheists trying to put down anyone that believes in god so, actually...its the other way around.

Perhaps you need to look outside the forum raoulduke666! It's people in the world everyday who do this not just here although if you pay attention even here at times there are comments made to the effect that those who do not believe are bad etc....the implication that unless you believe you will burn etc is infact trying to convert you....

I don't want to give my money to an organisation that is Tax exempt. Here in the UK that means that of all the millions the Church gets every year, not a penny goes to Education or the NHS (National Health Service).

Furthermore, I detest the fact it openly accepts money from people knowing full well it should go to a better cause. Cancer Research etc.

Turn on the God Channel sometime, it talks about money more than The Financial Times!

Thats why I don't want God to exist. He/She/It has let so many people get away with so many deplorable things, proving its existence to be useless.

Edited by Cr33p

No ones done that they might not agree with you but they have ever right not to believe as you do. No one can NOT make you believe in anything unless of course your already having doubts yourself.

Perhaps you need to look outside the forum raoulduke666! It's people in the world everyday who do this not just here although if you pay attention even here at times there are comments made to the effect that those who do not believe are bad etc....the implication that unless you believe you will burn etc is infact trying to convert you....

Well I wouldn't have brought the subject up if I didn't pay attention. Those comments you speak of are very few and far between. Do a search function and I bet you will find more "anti-religion" vs "who do not believe are bad" Personally, I think everyone should keep their views to themselves. Separate it from our everyday lives (mainly government) and our world wouldn't have as much issues.

Kind of goes against the theory of a Internet Discussion Forum, no?

I do not know where you live raoulduke666 but where I live it is a common thing to 'convert' what do you think religious groups going all over the world are doing? just being nice? no they are converting as many people as they can to Christianity because they think people need to be saved in order to go to heaven....that is a personal belief that is being used to make other people feel as they do....as for this site....I've been here for a long time and seen it many many times....yes it goes both ways with bashing etc....but most of us who are none believers don't care if you keep believing in God it's how you go about it that is bothersome....

I don't believe nobody wants you to think God doesn't exist on this forum.

You might have made yourself believe that attacks on taking a silly 2,000 year old book literally as attacks on your belief in God, but I believe most atheists could care less whether you believe in god.

Most simply don't want you acting radically or doing something hateful based on your beliefs.

Also, we don't like beliefs trying to pose as Science or Fact.

I don't believe nobody wants you to think God doesn't exist on this forum.

You might have made yourself believe that attacks on taking a silly 2,000 year old book literally as attacks on your belief in God, but I believe most atheists could care less whether you believe in god.

Most simply don't want you acting radically or doing something hateful based on your beliefs.

Also, we don't like beliefs trying to pose as Science or Fact.

I think I agree with you.....

I don't think people have sufficient evidence to believe in God. From a philosophical viewpoint I don't think it is logical to believe in God. Therefore I think that God definitely has no place in our legal or educational systems.

I also think that the God of many religions has many undesirable traits and is morally suspect - so I suppose you could say that in that context I do not want him to exist.

...what bothers me is when those who do believe in God try to force their belief onto others because they feel they are superiour or better then those of us who don't believe in him....I am bothered by my son hearing about him in any way shape or form in school....I am annoyed by a bible still being used in courts of law and i am annoyed that somehow you believing in him gives you some moral supremecy over everyone who is not in the christian faith....so i suppose as Belqis said it would make life easier if he was proven false....then at least everyone one would truely be on equal ground instead of categorized as believer or non....

You both seem to have an issue with the concept of compromise. When another believes different than you, in the public domain, a compromise must be met.

I dislike my children learning about sex in school. Not due to a religious problem with such, merely because I believe the subject must be handled on a more personal and one on one platform.

I dislike that religion is not discussed in school. Why? Because my child should be exposed to an objective appraisal of the philosophies encompassed by the religions. Whether or not a religion is or is not true should not be alluded to, but religion is a part of our society and an objective understanding of religion should improve our understanding and acceptance of other's beliefs.

I dislike it when any belief, atheist or theist, is espoused as superior. Yet, the position that is espoused in the two posts I quote implies that their position is default and my position must have support to have a place in society.

I have a political satire illustration that shows two men on a wedding cake, like the little plastic couples on them. The cake is being shoved down "Uncle Sam's" throat. One of the little plastic men has this word bubble: "You can't shove your morality down our throat." While I do not believe it is my place to tell anyone who can or cannot marry, the issue here is a hypocritical stance. I believe that consideration for everyone's morals should be made, and then a public position that is acceptable to all must be reached. Yet, the posts I quote above allude to a disregard for the religious position. They suggest, quoting bacca, "[that] those who do [not] believe in God [may passively] try to force their [un]belief onto others because they feel they are superiour or better then those of us who [do] believe in him." It isn't a matter of superiority it is a matter of no one standing for tolerance and moderation, no one standing for a compromise that ends in everyone being happy. It is a matter of everyone having a "win-lose" mindset instead of a "win-win" mindset.

Edited by Bee Eff

You are misinterpreting a bit. Atheists don't necessarily want god to be nonexistant, they just know that he is.

And the reason why I dislike the belief in god is because it is not based on any evidence. It is just a ridiculously outdated, simplistic, arbitrary and archaic way of explaining things from a time when nobody knew anything about the world. And of course it goes against everything we've found out with science. I also view religion as a malicious, counter-productive and destructive force in the modern world, which causes nothing but trouble.

And not believing in god doesn't mean that it is "replaced" by anything. Atheism is just the lack of belief in a deity. You can be an atheist and not believe in science. In fact, there are lots of atheistic religions (for example buddhism).

Science isn't a religion. Religion is based on ridiculous, unsubstantiable manmade stories. Science is based on reality, which is not manmade.

You are misinterpreting a bit. Atheists don't necessarily want god to be nonexistant, they just know that he is.

I'd say that's an overstatement. We all know it's impossible to >know< the non-existence of something. I know it's most probable he does not, but what about a random "being" that could fit the description of a "God"? I currently do not believe in any God, but to state "There is definitley no God" would be a belief.

All of your other points I agree with. You just seem.. extreme.

Edited by ShaunZero

I'd say that's an overstatement. We all know it's impossible to >know< the non-existence of something.

I mean in the colloquial sense, not the philosophical one.

I know it's most probable he does not, but what about a random "being" that could fit the description of a "God"? I currently do not believe in any God, but to state "There is definitley no God" would be a belief.

Yes, but you can say that about anything. If we go to that level, you have to be agnostic about gravity, the sphericality of the earth, etc.

All of your other points I agree with. Though you're starting to sound cynical a bit.

Oh.

Edited by Wombat

You both seem to have an issue with the concept of compromise. When another believes different than you, in the public domain, a compromise must be met.

I dislike my children learning about sex in school. Not due to a religious problem with such, merely because I believe the subject must be handled on a more personal and one on one platform.

I dislike that religion is not discussed in school. Why? Because my child should be exposed to an objective appraisal of the philosophies encompassed by the religions. Whether or not a religion is or is not true should not be alluded to, but religion is a part of our society and an objective understanding of religion should improve our understanding and acceptance of other's beliefs.

I dislike it when any belief, atheist or theist, is espoused as superior. Yet, the position that is espoused in the two posts I quote implies that their position is default and my position must have support to have a place in society.

I have a political satire illustration that shows two men on a wedding cake, like the little plastic couples on them. The cake is being shoved down "Uncle Sam's" throat. One of the little plastic men has this word bubble: "You can't shove your morality down our throat." While I do not believe it is my place to tell anyone who can or cannot marry, the issue here is a hypocritical stance. I believe that consideration for everyone's morals should be made, and then a public position that is acceptable to all must be reached. Yet, the posts I quote above allude to a disregard for the religious position. They suggest, quoting bacca, "[that] those who do [not] believe in God [may passively] try to force their [un]belief onto others because they feel they are superiour or better then those of us who [do] believe in him." It isn't a matter of superiority it is a matter of no one standing for tolerance and moderation, no one standing for a compromise that ends in everyone being happy. It is a matter of everyone having a "win-lose" mindset instead of a "win-win" mindset.

Compromise can only be met with two sides agreening to some sort of agreement.....when it comes to religion my beliefs are mine and very personal, I do not discuss what I personaly believe very often...If I do not want to discuss religion with people at all in certain settings I should not have to compromise and do so....I do not like anyone telling me that i should or should not do anything....is it the fact that i don't want people introducing religion to my child that bothers you? I do not want my child being told of any silly God or have him get in trouble when he disagrees with what he is told in school...it's not intolerance or anything like that it's my choice....and last time i checked to not liking having someone tell me i'm going to hell for not going to church does not make me bad

Please tell me where these people are, I have yet to see anyone really trying to prove god's existance, most of the threads about god (here) are from atheists trying to put down anyone that believes in god so, actually...its the other way around.

He is talking about people who make moral judgements on others based on their religious beliefs. Religion is by defenition unsubstantiated, and as such is not valid as an argument.

You are talking about people who, in a discussion, provide a case against religion.

They are two completely different things.

Truth is not a democracy. If one person says that 1+1=2 and another person says that 1+1=3, you don't make a comprimise and say that 1+1=2.5

Athiest are just tired of religion being shoved in thier faces plain & simple.

Yes, but you can say that about anything. If we go to that level, you have to be agnostic about gravity, the sphericality of the earth, etc.

In a way you're right, but I tend to look at it from a slightly different perspective. I think that if there is a God, he himself would also be based on reason and logic. If there's a God, in my opinion he set the universe the way it is and let nature take over. Everything else in the universe has been shown to be the work of natural phenomena, so logically I'd see no reason to have to be an agnostic as to what causes gravity(Not a God).

The only reasonable reason to believe in God in my opinion, is for the creation of the universe. Which is also not necessarily needed or supported, but it's more reasonable than saying "God created gravity!". All other phenomena have been founded to have natural causes, what would make gravity different? You could argue the same for the universe, but we really do not have a full grasp of the universe, or what exactly it is, or it's full origins.

/end rant =D

Edited by ShaunZero