Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why hominids evolved upright walking

hominids walking

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

I discovered a wild theory about humankinds past.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#47    gOOgLer

gOOgLer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Humans evolved to bipedalism because the food was on trees. Just simple as that.

#48    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,379 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

View PostgOOgLer, on 06 October 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Humans evolved to bipedalism because the food was on trees. Just simple as that.

Nah. Many non-bipedal animals are able to eat food from trees.
Evolution did it so that we could look better in suits, dresses and movies. :passifier:

#49    Melo -

Melo -

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

• ...more dangerous than any weapon is a face of evil, with a mask of good intention.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

idk but i like the sex i make with them

#50    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

View PostgOOgLer, on 06 October 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Then why did they ever leave the trees?

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#51    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:22 AM

View Postsynchronomy, on 08 October 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

Then why did they ever leave the trees?

To pick up the fruit that had dropped from the trees?

#52    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

There are at least twelve distinct hypotheses as to how and why bipedalism evolved in humans, and also some debate as to when. Bipedalism evolved well before the large human brain or the development of stone tools.[25] Bipedal specializations are found in Australopithecus fossils from 4.2-3.9 million years ago.[26] Recent evidence regarding modern human sexual dimorphism (physical differences between men and women) in the lumbar spine has been seen in pre-modern primates such as Australopithecus africanus. This dimorphism has been seen as an evolutionary adaptation of females to bear lumbar load better during pregnancy, an adaptation that non-bipedal primates would not need to make.[27][28] The different hypotheses are not necessarily mutually exclusive and a number of selective forces may have acted together to lead to human bipedalism. It is important to distinguish between adaptations for bipedalism and adaptations for running, which came later still.
Possible reasons for the evolution of human bipedalism include freeing the hands for tool use and carrying, sexual dimorphism in food gathering, changes in climate and habitat (from jungle to savanna) that favored a more elevated eye-position, and to reduce the amount of skin exposed to the tropical sun.

http://en.wikipedia....alism#Evolution

#53    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,833 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

So they could pick the apple from the tree of knowledge and gain access to the plemora without the demiurge, who was unable to access the plemora himself?

Edited by regeneratia, 15 October 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#54    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Missing the 'Banned' Wagon

• 4,731 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 08 October 2012 - 04:22 AM, said:

To pick up the fruit that had dropped from the trees?

Never eat a windfall apple...  ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb, 16 October 2012 - 11:38 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#55    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

I think the aquatic ape theory makes the most sense as it explains a number of things which are a mystery in our evolution. It explains why we are hairless, why babies instinctively hold their breath underwater (unlike all land mammals) and why we walk upright as drowning is a very good why of ensuring that those who do not stand upright do not pass on their genes.

#56    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,386 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

So they could use weapons to ward off predators,or go out as Hunters ,not so long ago the Zulu nation used to send out teenage boys for a period of time,armed only with a spear,a knobkerrie (club) and a shield,if they survived and brought back a predators tail or ears they were regarded as true warriors,if they returned empty handed (no evidence of having killed a predator), they were still regarded as having passed the initiation into Adulthood, but were given other tasks,like guarding the village perimeter, or as herders or lookouts,and were classed as none fighting men.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#57    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• 1,361 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 16 October 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

I think the aquatic ape theory makes the most sense as it explains a number of things which are a mystery in our evolution. It explains why we are hairless

Or it would if we were vaguely fish shaped like whales and dolphins. Mammals that are not fish shaped (even those who spend a ton of time in the water) tend to have hair.

why babies instinctively hold their breath underwater (unlike all land mammals)

That's just untrue. A common cost effective way of ridding a bunch of dogs or cats of fleas is dipping. Basically, you mix a batch of poisonous water and make like John the Baptist. I've seen it many times on both dogs and cats and never once saw one come out of the water coughing or dying from a lungful of poison.

and why we walk upright as drowning is a very good why of ensuring that those who do not stand upright do not pass on their genes.

If floods were frequent enough and of long enough duration for the difference to have any effect on reproductive viability, the world would be crawling with bipedal deer, dogs, and horses. It makes no sense that such an evolutionary pressure would affect only us.

#58    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

To carry tools on our shoulders? :P

Also tagged with hominids, walking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users