Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Finding a good PC repair shop

Keel M.

I have an HP laptop that I need repaired, but I don't want Best Buy to be my only choice of where to take it for repairs. I know there are a few repair shops around where I live, but how do I know they are good and can fix it? Is there a means to find out? I can't ask others because everyone I know comes to me for help. LOL I am good with the programs n stuff, but not the physical hardware.

I looked at Angie's list before posting this, because I hear so much about it, but I thought it was a free service. I really don't want to spend $8.25 if I don't have to.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keel M.

• MissMelsWell

• Sakari

• Grey14

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a mom and pop computer store.......

Although........I highly suggest using google and fixing it yourself.

I started out not knowing anything, I used google to find and replace a video card.......Than later a power supply.......Than later a processor, and mother board.

I basically built my last computer, and it was not hard at all.......I can help with links and such if you would like.....Might sound hard, or scary, but it is not at all.

I would fix it yourself as suggested. It is not hard to fix stuff depending on what is wrong. Most of the time it is simply exchanging the bad part for the good one.

I tried to fix it myself and got nowhere fast, which is why I'm resorting to taking it to someone who can.

I tried to fix it myself and got nowhere fast, which is why I'm resorting to taking it to someone who can.

So here's a thought... not all places are prepared to repair laptops, or are any good at it. Almost anyone can fix a desktop though. So do be careful.

Some parts in laptops aren't even worth replacing either because they can be so cost prohibitive, you might as well spend the money on just getting a new laptop since they can be picked up for as little as $325 at Best Buy these days.

Are you sure that the problem is something you want to fix in the first place? What seems to be going on with it?

If we can help you diagnose it, you're going to have better luck getting a good repair if you know what the problem is ahead of time and if you know roughly what it should cost to fix. Try Us! We might be able to help ya out from here, or at least help you not get ripped off.

So here's a thought... not all places are prepared to repair laptops, or are any good at it. Almost anyone can fix a desktop though. So do be careful.

Some parts in laptops aren't even worth replacing either because they can be so cost prohibitive, you might as well spend the money on just getting a new laptop since they can be picked up for as little as $325 at Best Buy these days.

Are you sure that the problem is something you want to fix in the first place? What seems to be going on with it?

If we can help you diagnose it, you're going to have better luck getting a good repair if you know what the problem is ahead of time and if you know roughly what it should cost to fix. Try Us! We might be able to help ya out from here, or at least help you not get ripped off.

Very good point, I was thinking desktop more than anything, and I know, the OP has lap top.....

They are almost not worth repairing......I replaced a hard drive in one, that was easy.....Usually, once one thing goes, it means more soon to come......

Anyway, I would look for a mom and pop store, not a chain.....Ask them specifics, free estimate?.....Free diagnosis?...A family run store will work with you, a chain looks at you as just another $$$

Yeah tell us what is wrong with it. Maybe we can help. years back I actually did work for panasonics laptop repair company for 5 years.

The heat sync (sp??) went bad. I managed to at least get that far through research on the HP user forums. I know there were a LOT of people with that problem. I have a replacement that I've been using, but quite frankly it's not as good as my HP. :(

The heat sync (sp??) went bad. I managed to at least get that far through research on the HP user forums. I know there were a LOT of people with that problem. I have a replacement that I've been using, but quite frankly it's not as good as my HP. :(

I want you to see just how easy this is.......

This is a Dell

I am not sure what HP you have, but you are looking at $15.00 to $40.00 for the heatsink itself.

Edited by Sakari

Is it a Pavillion DV? If so, it needs a resoldering job to "fix" it.... better buying a new laptop if you can.

(I know cos I resoldered one, a DV6000.... but problems started again after 3hrs of use)

"Many notebook owners experience hardware failure in various Pavilion models due to overheating. The first symptom is usually a disappearing Wifi.

Later failure of the graphics system and booting problems.

HP does acknowledge this as a "hardware issue with certain HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000" notebooks, which is eligible for free repair. [7]

Other users recommend a "resoldering" of the nVidia GPU on the motherboard."

http://en.wikipedia....erheating_issue

Edited by Eldorado

So it's making sounds like a jet engine and getting hot? If, so you MIGHT be able to repair that. Heat Sink paste, which you'll have to order probably, can be used on it. However, the trick is getting the blasted thing apart, getting the processor pulled off, removing the existing paste and getting the new paste back on. I've successfully done this with Dell's and a Lenovo... never an HP though so I'm not sure what complications you might run into taking it apart and getting to back together.

If it was me... honestly? I'd buy a new laptop. But, the repair should be easy and cheap if you tell them what you need and they're reputable with laptops. There's no guarantee the new paste will hold for very long though. My experience is that it will for maybe a year.

Thanks for all of your advice. Even if I manage to get it fixed and it lasts only a year, that will give me time to save for an awesome replacement. I just picked up this Lenovo for a quick replacement. I could make a new purchase now, but not with something nice.

Thanks for all of your advice. Even if I manage to get it fixed and it lasts only a year, that will give me time to save for an awesome replacement. I just picked up this Lenovo for a quick replacement. I could make a new purchase now, but not with something nice.

So a reputable shop shouldn't charge you more than about $60 to do this work--if that... They have to use a paste kit which is not exactly cheap (I get mine at work for about $18, but it fixes about 10 computers--the shop will want to charge you for the whole kit, that's just how it works) then the fix should only take maybe 30 minutes to do if they're skilled in taking your laptop apart and putting it back together.

When you take it in, tell them the heat sink paste needs regluing, and that you'd do it yourself but don't feel comfortable taking the whole case apart. Hedge around a bit and act like you're still considering doing it yourself. They may give you a little price break to get you to leave it with them. For them, it's an easy few bucks and a short turn around time so they'll want to do this fix.

This works with car repairs too.. LOL. I need to take my car in to have the refridgerant refilled... it's an easy fix, I just don't want to do it myself. I hemmed and hawed around with the shop, asking them how much the kit to repair was, how long theyd take to do it, went back and forth with them about how I'll do it myself... they finally gave me a stunning good deal on them doing it, because it's a quick buck for them. I'm eeevilllll that way. I never had any intention of doing it myself. :D

$60 I can swing. I was thinking that if I took it somewhere like Best Buy and their Geek Squad I'd be shelling out 100s.

While I've got your ear, what do you think of HPs in general? Do you like them? Is there another brand you prefer?

Edited by Offeiriad

$60 I can swing. I was thinking that if I took it somewhere like Best Buy and their Geek Squad I'd be shelling out 100s.

While I've got your ear, what do you think of HPs in general? Do you like them? Is there another brand you prefer?

Typically speaking, I've always loved HPs, they've been my favorite laptops over the years. However, they were desperately trying to sell their PC hardware division from what I understand. I think their quality has slipped dramatically in the last 18 months due to this. They're trying to keep costs low which isn't necessarily a good thing. I'm sad, they were my favorite laptops.

These days, I'm a fan of the Acers, Toshiba's (which are steadily decent) and Lenovo (Lenovo has the best support and warranty I think)... who do I dislike tremendously? Dell, Gateway and Sony---HP falls somewhere in the middle of the good and bad.

Here's a little tip too... I worked for many many years at Microsoft... I can tell you that Acer, Toshiba and Lenovo and HP are the best tested with Microsoft's software. Why? Well that would be because those are the brands that Microsoft employees use on a daily basis to do their work. Because of that, the OEM's and MIcrosoft gets the best feedback on those brands just through sheer numbers. Sure the others are tested, but not like the other brands are. Just a little inside secret. :)

Typically speaking, I've always loved HPs, they've been my favorite laptops over the years. However, they were desperately trying to sell their PC hardware division from what I understand. I think their quality has slipped dramatically in the last 18 months due to this. They're trying to keep costs low which isn't necessarily a good thing. I'm sad, they were my favorite laptops.

These days, I'm a fan of the Acers, Toshiba's (which are steadily decent) and Lenovo (Lenovo has the best support and warranty I think)... who do I dislike tremendously? Dell, Gateway and Sony---HP falls somewhere in the middle of the good and bad.

Here's a little tip too... I worked for many many years at Microsoft... I can tell you that Acer, Toshiba and Lenovo and HP are the best tested with Microsoft's software. Why? Well that would be because those are the brands that Microsoft employees use on a daily basis to do their work. Because of that, the OEM's and MIcrosoft gets the best feedback on those brands just through sheer numbers. Sure the others are tested, but not like the other brands are. Just a little inside secret. :)

Thanks for your info. I've thought about getting a Toshiba, so I may try that instead of an HP.

Thanks for your info. I've thought about getting a Toshiba, so I may try that instead of an HP.

I have a really cheap Toshiba Satelite right now... we're talking uber cheap, like $325. It's got the 15" wide-screen, basic features, plenty of harddrive and RAM and the video is respectable. I bought it after 2 of my HPs were stolen in a home robbery. I didn't intend to like this Toshiba, I didn't even expect it to last all that long, but I have to say, I've found that it's a really really good computer for what I do at home! I"m actually pretty impressed with it! For $325, I expected a LOT less from it.