Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What happens when we die?

Still Waters

It's one of life's biggest questions: What happens when you die?

An increasing number of near death experiences, or NDEs, are being reported thanks to advances in medical science and increased resuscitations of the dead.

And several survivors have come forward to share their glimpses of what they believe is a realm beyond this life.

arrow3.gifRead more...

This just confirms that energy cannot be destroyed, only changed from one form to another. We are energy and this body is a shell of flesh

This just confirms that energy cannot be destroyed, only changed from one form to another. We are energy and this body is a shell of flesh

Energy doesn't mean what you're implying.

I had an NDE 4 years ago when I was 21. It was quite unlike anything I have ever experienced. There were no deceased relatives or 'heavenly' beings, however, there was light and an intense feeling of what I can only describe as nirvana. The whole experience seemed to last an eternity.

I think near death experiences probably have a biological cause, one possibility being chemicals from the pineal gland being released during or after trauma. I'm not saying there isn't a possibility of life after death, just that I think NDE aren't anything supernatural.

When you're dead you're dead. It's the same as how you felt before you were born. You just don't exist anymore. Fugetaboutit. The End. Get used to it.

Energy doesn't mean what you're implying.

Brain current is not energy?

When you're dead you're dead. It's the same as how you felt before you were born. You just don't exist anymore. Fugetaboutit. The End. Get used to it.

It's good that you explained why you think so ... I can say the same - Mind is immortal. :)

Edited by SolarPlexus

It's good that you explained why you think so ... I can say the same - Mind is immortal. :)

I didn't explain why I thought so because there is no explanation to anyone's thoughts on this subject, in my opinion.

We can all say anything we want, and anyone's opinion is just as good as anyone else's. Until someone comes back from the dead and tells us what it's like, all we have is opinion and wishful thinking.

My take on the subject, anyway. :)

Because people have been so heavily indoctrinated with religion, it is only "logical" that the brain will use imagery during so-called NDE's that the brain itself is used to seeing or associating with.

It is not any different than if a person is enamored with, say, characters from the show "Supernatural" and then has dreams that incorporate those images. They mean nothing but it is just material the brain uses to keep itself occupied.

Anecdotes and personal experience can be interesting but should never be taken as evidence for anything.

We should all know what happens because we've all been there done that and forgotten most of it , It's like a dream we had that can't be remember , which means to me , we aren't supposed to know , so the real question should be , Why is that memory blocked ?

May be this human life is really our Hell , and the afterlife is really Heaven , and if we knew for sure we'd all be committing suicide to get out of Hell ?

I have no doubt that those people who've experienced the NDE have experienced something much more wonderful than can ever be experienced as a human on earth , but as has already been mentioned it could be a trick the brain is playing to block out the pain ?

There must be a simple logical way to discover the truth , but try as I might my brain power doesn't extend that far .... Did the Hadron Collider come up with any answers yet ?

Life is life. It is neither heaven nor hell. Not a punishment nor a reward, neither a school or a "job". These are just vague concepts we concoct to try and explain why life seems to be so harsh.

We create it for ourselves and others then future generations have to deal with the messes, situations and circumstances we left behind.

The only thing I know for sure is that once you die, the vultures swoop in and drain

your estate of any value...

Brain current is not energy?

Then you were once a vegetable, fruit, or slaughtered animal?

Brain energy isn't consciousness.

Until someone comes back from the dead and tells us what it's like, all we have is opinion and wishful thinking.

See OP :) We *do* have people who came back from the dead, and they told us what it's like

Then you were once a vegetable, fruit, or slaughtered animal?

Yes :)

Brain energy isn't consciousness.

Why?

Why?

Why would it be?

Consciousness is a collection of brain functions. If consciousness *is* the energy it uses, then an electric charge in a battery or a can of gas, is an operating car (minus the car).

Because people have been so heavily indoctrinated with religion, it is only "logical" that the brain will use imagery during so-called NDE's that the brain itself is used to seeing or associating with.

It is not any different than if a person is enamored with, say, characters from the show "Supernatural" and then has dreams that incorporate those images. They mean nothing but it is just material the brain uses to keep itself occupied.

Anecdotes and personal experience can be interesting but should never be taken as evidence for anything.

While I can certainly understand the point you are attempting to make. However, Around 75% of those who experience NDE's are not associated with any religion.

"If consciousness *is* the energy it uses, then an electric charge in a battery or a can of gas, is an operating car (minus the car)."

thats like saying the electrical nervous system or a bag of blood is a functional human (minus the body). a human is an operating car without the car. cars have no conscious senses to really detect us. maybe some cars would think humans are a collection of motor functions. no self respecting car would ever identify itself with a human. and yet, is that not all that a car is in the end. while car rots in junkyard, human still lives.

"If consciousness *is* the energy it uses, then an electric charge in a battery or a can of gas, is an operating car (minus the car)."

thats like saying the electrical nervous system or a bag of blood is a functional human (minus the body). a human is an operating car without the car. cars have no conscious senses to really detect us. maybe some cars would think humans are a collection of motor functions. no self respecting car would ever identify itself with a human. and yet, is that not all that a car is in the end. while car rots in junkyard, human still lives.

If you follow scripture, You will notice that "Conscience & Consciousness" is the same thing as "Spirit".

thats like saying the electrical nervous system or a bag of blood is a functional human (minus the body).

Thats why brain "energy" isn't consciousness.

If you follow scripture, You will notice that "Conscience & Consciousness" is the same thing as "Spirit".

And if you follow biology and neuroscience, you'll notice its not. :rolleyes:

Can we say:"Everything that exist and have enrergy is alive."? Or even is created by living orgamism, as humans.

@Solar

You think that energy is internal?

And if you follow biology and neuroscience, you'll notice its not. :rolleyes:

How so?...

How so?...

"Spirit" doesn't exist in biology, consciousness is the state of awareness, conscience is the sense of right and wrong.

SO much materialistic dogma that I read here... We, as occidentals, have left a religious dogma for a materialistic dogma, but do people realize that? Nope, not as long as they have they iPods and bottle of coke to screw of their health.

A brain itself cannot make the difference between memories of the past and actual ''NOW'' present time happening this, without the conscious mind. Did you know that? make you thinks heh? But people don't like to think, some people will talk, argue, and forget about what i just said preettty soon enough. People nowadays are incapable to say to themselves; What IF?DO we have absolute knowledge of everything? No! so, what IF?