Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Have physicists discovered dark matter ?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,254 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

String theory has the huge attractive aspect that gravity just falls out of the numbers uninvited but most welcome.  I suppose this is the closest theoretical physics gets to sheer beauty, so of course they like it.  I don't think however that they are going to fudge results to get what they want.  This particular activity is too easy to double-check.

#17    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,254 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 20 February 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

I am an atheist - and what you are suggesting is plain dumb - Christian Fundamentalists could not even concieve of String Theory, goes agains the Bible
You are being insulting in my view beyond the line.  And do a little research.

#18    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,922 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 20 February 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

lol String theorists seem to me to be like fundamentalists in a way in their enthusiasm for their theory. With no empirical evidence to back string theory up so far, it's almost a belief system.

That's my rant. As for dark energy, I'm looking forward to hearing the results of this study.

String Theory desreves investigation, because if verifiable it will answer lots of questions. If it becomes unverifiable then that is another story - but at a fundamental level it is trying to describe interractions that almost by definition cannot be detected by our current state of experimental testing.

This study is only looking at Dark Matter, Dark Energy is promulgated (without evidence either) to make up 73% of the Universe. Dark Matter only some 23%, with Matter (as we know it) being in the region of just 6%

#19    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,922 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 February 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

You are being insulting in my view beyond the line.  And do a little research.

In my view your original statement suggesting that String Theorists are also Christian Fundamentalists is by far the worse accusation here. You would like to stifle Scientific Endeavour by belittling its more esoteric proponents, and theorists.

Eisteinian Gravity theory (along with GRT and SRT) is far from being an unassailable topic, and why people think it such is a mystery to me. His work is plagiarised, his math inconsistent (or plain wrong), his Thought Experiments shown to be flawed.

I continuously research, either to prove or disprove my own beliefs (it doesn't matter to me which is the outcome)

So next time, please forward a Theory, rather than calling a whole branch of Physics as being the work of Religious Fundamentalists, without supporting that claim.

Just one more thing: please describe precisely what "Gravity" is you would be the 1st person to do so

Edited by keithisco, 20 February 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#20    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Wasn't this already posted here?

#21    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,254 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

I think when he said the physics was beyond him, it kinda scared everyone off from posting more.  Now we have this one instead.  But you are right.

#22    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 February 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

I think when he said the physics was beyond him, it kinda scared everyone off from posting more.  Now we have this one instead.  But you are right.

Lol, when Waspie doesn't understand it, run.

#23    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 20 February 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

Eisteinian Gravity theory (along with GRT and SRT) is far from being an unassailable topic, and why people think it such is a mystery to me. His work is plagiarised, his math inconsistent (or plain wrong), his Thought Experiments shown to be flawed.
Can you provide examples?

View Postkeithisco, on 20 February 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

Just one more thing: please describe precisely what "Gravity" is you would be the 1st person to do so
A mutually attractive force that scales with inertia.

#24    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,139 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Folks, can we please cut out the personal comments and Christian bashing please, This is not the Spirituality vs Skepticism section. Thank you.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#25    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,139 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 20 February 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

Lol, when Waspie doesn't understand it, run.
There are many, MANY, things I don't understand, including, but not limited to, physics, income tax, the meaning of life, the universe and everything, cubist art and women. I was, for a while, a chemist, but I don't really understand chemistry either.

Edited to add
Having reread this it seems I don't understand when to use "their" and "there" either. Still I've changed that so no one will notice ;)

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 20 February 2013 - 09:38 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#26    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,023 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

"Luke, come to the dark side."

#27    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

that's a amazing research and news guys.finally something that is worth spending money on and etc.when is the report expected to be public?i just hope its not censored as in showing what only they want to show and tell.but dark matter does exist and does make up most of the universe people.also just because we can't see something does not mean it don't exist.remember the five human senses are only capable of detecting certain frequencies and light spectrums and etc. and its only useful for this dimension and certain frequencies.can't wait for the full report

#28    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,023 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostKing Cobra 1408, on 20 February 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

that's a amazing research and news guys.finally something that is worth spending money on and etc.when is the report expected to be public?i just hope its not censored as in showing what only they want to show and tell.but dark matter does exist and does make up most of the universe people.also just because we can't see something does not mean it don't exist.remember the five human senses are only capable of detecting certain frequencies and light spectrums and etc. and its only useful for this dimension and certain frequencies.can't wait for the full report

One of the most significant issues is with regards as to how limited our standard human senses are.
Perhaps, in time, this will change as our knowledge increases.

#29    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 February 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Oh I really doubt that.  These are scientists, not fundamentalist Christians.

If you think scientists are incapable of deception Google "Piltdown Man" and the "Climategate scandal".

#30    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,922 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

View Postsepulchrave, on 20 February 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

[size=4]
Can you provide examples?

[size=4]
A mutually attractive force that scales with inertia.

You are claiming that Gravity is a "Force" not a consequence of Einsteinian Spacetime curvature?

Let me ask you a question: what is the speed of propagation of the Gravitic Force, over what distance would you expect attenuation of this force, what is the Scaling of this force relative to Inertia?

You give me an Einstein thought experiment (maybe the Elevator accelerating away from the Earth at relativistic speed), and I will show you where it is inconsistent within its own F.O.R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users