Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How old is the Bible anyway?

brittish_gurl

Yeah I don't know how old is it or when was the estimated discovery...... so can anyone help me out please? hmm.gif

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• beowulf

• Loge

• Erikl

• waterjet

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I don't know how old is it or when was the estimated discovery...... so can anyone help me out please? hmm.gif

405638[/snapback]

The old testament is the writing and history of the Jewish people.

Beowulf will be good to help you with this... but I know that the Bible in its present form is only a few centuries old. It's had a quite a few face lifts over the years. It's a conglomeration from several eras, and many of the times are not agreed upon.

well, you see, the Bible was written over a LARGE span of time, by many many many different people.

My guess is the Bible is as old as the last canonised book, various meetings were held such as council of Jamnia & more importantly council of Nycaea (sp?) where the books were decided on that became the Bible IMO

With the exception of Fundies, Xian and non-Xian scholars agree that the OT was written around 600 BCE after the return from Exile to support the Temple state imposed by the Persian Emperor. It was rewritten by the Maccabeans around 300-200 BCE after the "Maccabean Revolution" to replace the scriptures burnt by the Greek King, at this time books like Judges, Kings, and Daniel were added. Enoch was written at this time but not included in the OT. The NT started with Paul's letters around mid 1st Century CE, the some of the gospels in very late 1st Century to early 2nd Century CE, with the Gospel according to John weighing in around 120 CE. The NT has been re-written, added to, and edited to the point of absurdity and even the OT has suffered some changes over the centuries. Does that help? innocent.gif

Well,

The Bible was written at the beginning of time and not at the beginning of times, because now we are at the half of time when prophesies are accomplished to scatter the power of the beast so that all these things shall be finished!

This is why the words of the Bible are closed up and sealed till the time of the end!

rolleyes.gif

In my opinion, it was written several times.

Once, around 1,000 BCE, in the time of Solomon's empire, when the two kingdoms (Israel and Judea) were still united.

Then, around 800BCE in the reformation in Judea.

Then, aroun 586BCE (in the time of Ezra) when the Hebrew Bible was re-written in the Assyrian Script and was probably edited to suit the new world view of the returning exiled Judeans.

Regarding the re-written in the times of the Maccebeans - I'm not sure about that, beuwolf.

In that time the Hebrew Bible was common outside Judea and so could have survived any destruction of it's copies in Judea.

Also, the fact that 1Maccbeans - 4Maccbeans isn't part of the Hebrew bible kind of proves that the Maccabeans didn't edit it (or they would have been canonized).

It was canonized around 200BCE.

Then there's the NT, which is another much more complex story (some say the current NT was created only in in the 4th century CE and was completely re-written by Constantine.

Well,

The Bible was written at the beginning of time and not at the beginning of times, because now we are at the half of time when prophesies are accomplished to scatter the power of the beast so that all these things shall be finished!

This is why the words of the Bible are closed up and sealed till the time of the end!

rolleyes.gif

406990[/snapback]

Yo Loge,

I want some of what you're smokin!

Yo Loge, I want some of what you're smokin!

If you quit smokin 'that' and study Kabbalah and grow psychologically in a vertical line, then you will understand my point at the half of the half of the time! thumbsup.gif

Yeah Erikl, Loge is hooked on Kabbalh/Kabbalah, just as Ashley Star Child is hooked on the bogus Book of Enoch and Norman on the idea that Jesus is zooming around in a "Flying Saucer". Just a "normal" run-of-the-mill forum here! blink.gifthumbup.gifwhistling2.gif

I need a gimmick, too, but I don't think I am as imaginative as the rest. wink2.gif Too bad I don't really believe in much.

Yeah Erikl, Loge is hooked on Kabbalh/Kabbalah, just as Ashley Star Child is hooked on the bogus Book of Enoch and Norman on the idea that Jesus is zooming around in a "Flying Saucer".  Just a "normal" run-of-the-mill forum here! blink.gif  thumbup.gif  whistling2.gif

407095[/snapback]

A monk once asked master Chao-chou, "Does Beowulf when bellows have Buddha-nature or not?"

Chao-chou said, "Muuuuu"

We should clarify the meaning of this question.

"Beowulf" ignores that the Bible is rooted in Jewish Kabbalah. The question does not ask whether the Buddha-nature can or cannot exist in Beowulf; it asks whether even an ignorant man learns the truth. blink.gifclap.gifw00t.gif

Beowulf equates the bible to an antique superhero comic book and can find no redeeming factor to it! As for ignoring the roots of Kabbalah, I care not one whit from whence comes a delusion, it amuses the children and keeps them occupied so the adults can perform their duties! yes.gif

It's funny. You'd think people would grow out of it like Santa Claus or the boogieman but they don't.

People laugh when a child says they have an imaginary friend, but they themselves are doing the exact same thing. Yo, I read the three little pigs the other day. man, it was awesome. I think the wolf is god!!! Let's all worship this book called the three little pigs.