Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

The 492 native species driven to extinction


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 36,922 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

It is being called the sixth great extinction.

Nearly 500 species of plant and animal native to England have been wiped out in the past 2,000 years - with most vanishing in the previous two centuries alone.

The roll-call, detailed in a shocking report, includes mammals such as the wildcat and northern right whale, birds such as the great auk and red-backed shrike, and species of butterflies, dragonflies and beetles.

Some creatures, including the bear, were hunted to extinction after the Romans invaded, while others, such as the short-haired bumblebee, were killed off by modern farming techniques during the 1990s.

Posted Image Read more...


Posted Image

#2    Mattshark

Mattshark

    stuff

  • Member
  • 16,985 posts
  • Joined:29 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, UK

  • Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

    If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

Depressing isn't, it partially explains why we consider dull fields and farmland to be amazing "natural" countryside.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#3    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,494 posts
  • Joined:04 May 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

View PostMattshark, on 11 March 2010 - 12:30 PM, said:

Depressing isn't, it partially explains why we consider dull fields and farmland to be amazing "natural" countryside.
I know! I have to say, I have a soft spot for oilseed rape fields, I think they're pretty, but otherwise, how is farmland amazing countryside? "The great outdoors" and all... give me a mountain (live very close to the Lake District, lol) or thick woodland any day!

But it is a great shame about the now extinct species. Makes me despair for humanity, along with many other things.

Posted Image

#4    MichaelW

MichaelW

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,523 posts
  • Joined:14 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nelson, New Zealand

  • Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

I haven't heard of the short haired bumble bee until now. And to be quite honest, I hasn't upset the whole ecosystem now has it.

Besides, Romans needed bear hides for their Legion standardbearers. I've seen pictures of rolling coutryside with farms and bits and pices and I say it is most beautiful. But concentrate on the negative side of life if you must.

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#5    Cetacea

Cetacea

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,352 posts
  • Joined:12 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Belfast

  • "How inappropriate to call this planet Earth, when it is quite clearly Ocean."

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

View PostMattshark, on 11 March 2010 - 12:30 PM, said:

Depressing isn't, it partially explains why we consider dull fields and farmland to be amazing "natural" countryside.
It is rather. At least there are some efforts now for restoring truley natural landscape. Hopefully the beaver re-introduction is one of many to come but I doubt Britain will ever be able to sustain large populations of the wildlife it used to have although reviews have shown small populations of wolf and lynx are indeed viable.

View PostMichaelW, on 12 March 2010 - 09:31 AM, said:

I haven't heard of the short haired bumble bee until now. And to be quite honest, I hasn't upset the whole ecosystem now has it.

Besides, Romans needed bear hides for their Legion standardbearers. I've seen pictures of rolling coutryside with farms and bits and pices and I say it is most beautiful. But concentrate on the negative side of life if you must.
Ecological impacts are not immediate. Not having heard about it also does not make it unimportant, most people are unaware of the important role some insects play in the bigger picture of things. It's not about focussing on the negatives, it's about trying to prevent negative long term effects; a healthy eco-system  is by far more important than having an appealing farmland view.

View Poststorminateacup, on 11 March 2010 - 10:04 PM, said:

I know! I have to say, I have a soft spot for oilseed rape fields, I think they're pretty, but otherwise, how is farmland amazing countryside? "The great outdoors" and all... give me a mountain (live very close to the Lake District, lol) or thick woodland any day!

Those are sort of nice but the pollen does get everywhere! But yeah, proper wild landscape is much prettier anyday.

"There is about as much educational benefit to be gained in studying dolphins in captivity as there would be studying mankind by observing prisoners held in solitary confinement" - Jacques Cousteau

"We're not unique, just at one end of the spectrum."

#6    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 8,206 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:03 PM

If Evolution wanted these species to still be here, they'd still be here. or is that to simplistic?

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#7    Cetacea

Cetacea

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,352 posts
  • Joined:12 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Belfast

  • "How inappropriate to call this planet Earth, when it is quite clearly Ocean."

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 12 March 2010 - 07:03 PM, said:

If Evolution wanted these species to still be here, they'd still be here. or is that to simplistic?
Evolution does not have a will, it's a process ;) But if it did, I would guess it's will had very little to do with most of these extinctions. PRocesses in nature are slow and a lot of these species did not die out from natural causes. Our increasing influence may in some cases overrule natural selection, most exreme example would be dog breeding, evolution would probably not 'want' bulldogs who are unable to mate without assistance either but it has happened. But we don't stop at species we have made our own, we have a massive influence on natural eco-systems around us as well. Wolves were systematically hunted to extinction, there is not an awful lot nature or evolution can do about that, and as the UK is an island there is not even potential for recolonisation as is the case in many other European countries.

"There is about as much educational benefit to be gained in studying dolphins in captivity as there would be studying mankind by observing prisoners held in solitary confinement" - Jacques Cousteau

"We're not unique, just at one end of the spectrum."

#8    Mattshark

Mattshark

    stuff

  • Member
  • 16,985 posts
  • Joined:29 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, UK

  • Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

    If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 12 March 2010 - 07:03 PM, said:

If Evolution wanted these species to still be here, they'd still be here. or is that to simplistic?
Bit too simplistic, this is simply to with us as a species being destructive.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#9    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 8,206 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:47 PM

View PostCetacea, on 12 March 2010 - 08:50 PM, said:

Evolution does not have a will, it's a process ;) But if it did, I would guess it's will had very little to do with most of these extinctions. PRocesses in nature are slow and a lot of these species did not die out from natural causes. Our increasing influence may in some cases overrule natural selection, most exreme example would be dog breeding, evolution would probably not 'want' bulldogs who are unable to mate without assistance either but it has happened. But we don't stop at species we have made our own, we have a massive influence on natural eco-systems around us as well. Wolves were systematically hunted to extinction, there is not an awful lot nature or evolution can do about that, and as the UK is an island there is not even potential for recolonisation as is the case in many other European countries.

bold part. - isnt the destruction by Humans not a natural cause? i always thought that Humans where just another species on Earth.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#10    Cetacea

Cetacea

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,352 posts
  • Joined:12 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Belfast

  • "How inappropriate to call this planet Earth, when it is quite clearly Ocean."

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 13 March 2010 - 03:47 PM, said:

bold part. - isnt the destruction by Humans not a natural cause? i always thought that Humans where just another species on Earth.
Yes, but our species happens to have an effect on nature that is unprecedented in it's destructiveness which is why our effect is often considered to be not natural.
If we're going to conserve nature we need to draw a line somewhere. If we're going to class our behaviour as 'normal' and 'natural' why bother about overfishing, habitat destruction species extinction, let's just go ahead and run it all into the ground unchecked, it's the natural cause of things after all!

"There is about as much educational benefit to be gained in studying dolphins in captivity as there would be studying mankind by observing prisoners held in solitary confinement" - Jacques Cousteau

"We're not unique, just at one end of the spectrum."

#11    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,494 posts
  • Joined:04 May 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:22 PM

View PostCetacea, on 12 March 2010 - 05:27 PM, said:

Those are sort of nice but the pollen does get everywhere! But yeah, proper wild landscape is much prettier anyday.
I imagine I wouldn't like them as much if they gave me hayfever, like they do for many!

Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users