Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aquifer drain 'caused earthquake'

Still Waters

Scientists studying the fault beneath the Spanish city of Lorca say that groundwater removal may be implicated in a deadly 2011 earthquake there.

Detailed surface maps from satellite studies allowed them to infer which parts of the ground moved where.

They report in Nature Geoscience that those shifts correlate with locations where water has been drained for years.

The study highlights how human activity such as drainage or borehole drilling can have far-reaching seismic effects.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-20025807

• Like 1

I was reading about this yesterday on another thread. This is a serious problem that stems from too many people.

I was reading about this yesterday on another thread. This is a serious problem that stems from too many people.

Not from too many people, from too much wasted water.

• Like 1

I'd say it stems from idiots not appreciating that sometimes if you remove something from underneath the earth we stand on and not replace it with something else, it might just cave-in or move about at some time in the future.

Or just not caring.

(I appreciate that's simplistic, but still.)