Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Upsetting Call

nocashninja

I am not spiritual and believe that if it can't be scientifically proven, it can't be true. That said, I am pretty baffled at what happened and have exhausted all practical explanations, hence me posting here...

I received a few phone calls from an "unknown" caller around 3:30 to 3:30AM. I woke up, but didn't pick up and thought nothing of it.

The next night, the calls came again and I picked up. There was a male's voice; low and indecipherably muttering at a pressured pace. It sounded wrathful and vengeful. It was also weird how the voice on the other end didn't take a single breath, but just kept spewing out whatever it was that it was saying.

I started asking who it was, thinking one of my friends was playing a drunk prank on me, especially considering that 3:30AM is a pretty cliche time at which to make a scary phone call. The voice responded by intensifying so I hung up.

It called back immediately, continuing where it had left off, almost to the point that it sounded like it was still going without breathing, in between me hanging up and picking up again. This time it was angrier, louder, and increasingly decipherable, culminating in whoever it was yelling "I'M SO ****ING ANGRY."It was the angriest thing I had ever heard in my life. If hatred could be a sound without words, it would've been this voice.

It shook me so much that I stayed up for the next couple days.

I'm not worried anymore, but rather just curious.

What really pushed me to seek advice here is that I found out that caller I.D. only reads "unknown" if the phone company doesn't have the number in its database. A person cannot make their number appear as "unknown," but only "restricted." Unknown callers are usually from automated machines or old-fashioned rotary callers (source: ex-tele employee).

Thanks!

... or old-fashioned rotary callers (source: ex-tele employee).

Thanks!

No. Rotary (analog) dialing ended about 15 - 25 years ago. (source: brother who worked for the tele companies)

Analog doesn't work at all anymore.

A lot of people have a service that prevents their number from being identified by caller i.d.

As I recall there is a number you can call that will trace the very last call you received and give you the number; you get charged, of course, for the service but it might be a good idea to make use of this and log how many times you get a call from the same number.

Nothing ookie-spookie about, just some moron who either has a mental problem or simply enjoys playing with people. Use that trace-a-call thing if it becomes a problem.

It sounds like a bad case of "butt dialing."

That happened to us recently... it was our daughter's phone and she had it in her pocket while she was at work. We could hear her voice saying something.. and we hung up and it called us back again and again. We finally got through to her and had a good laugh.

And we do get calls from "Unknown" and "Unavailable" - usually a sales call. We let the answering machine get those.

• Like 1

If you are even remotely concerned (sounds like you are, and if it continues you should be) report it to the authorities, not us..

• Like 1

What intrigues me the most is that message left on a paranormal investigator's answering machine from the long-dead paranormal investigator, Konstantin Raudive, that went on for like 3 minutes non-stop..

I don't believe in it, but it's still....intriguing..

Edited by The Necromancer

What intrigues me the most is that message left on a paranormal investigator's answering machine from the long-dead paranormal investigator, Konstantin Raudive, that went on for like 3 minutes non-stop..

I don't believe in it, but it's still....intriguing..

WTH? This thread isn't about what intrigues you, and has virtually nothing to do with the 'story' in the op .. Start a new thread and feel free in that thread, not here, to explain how you disbelieve yet find it intriguing and worthy of posting here....

• Like 1

My work mobile has a damaged microphone so I use a Bluetooth headset.

Last week while wandering around a car boot sale, I dialled a number in my phone 13 times.

Thankfully it wasn't a customer but a shop I called to get parts, and as it was Sunday, they were closed.

You should of recorded it as most phones have that option, although i doubt it was the most important thing on your mind at half 3 in the morning.

Edited by Redefining Success
  • Like 1

I am not spiritual and believe that if it can't be scientifically proven, it can't be true. That said, I am pretty baffled at what happened and have exhausted all practical explanations, hence me posting here...

I received a few phone calls from an "unknown" caller around 3:30 to 3:30AM. I woke up, but didn't pick up and thought nothing of it.

The next night, the calls came again and I picked up. There was a male's voice; low and indecipherably muttering at a pressured pace. It sounded wrathful and vengeful. It was also weird how the voice on the other end didn't take a single breath, but just kept spewing out whatever it was that it was saying.

I started asking who it was, thinking one of my friends was playing a drunk prank on me, especially considering that 3:30AM is a pretty cliche time at which to make a scary phone call. The voice responded by intensifying so I hung up.

It called back immediately, continuing where it had left off, almost to the point that it sounded like it was still going without breathing, in between me hanging up and picking up again. This time it was angrier, louder, and increasingly decipherable, culminating in whoever it was yelling "I'M SO ****ING ANGRY."It was the angriest thing I had ever heard in my life. If hatred could be a sound without words, it would've been this voice.

It shook me so much that I stayed up for the next couple days.

I'm not worried anymore, but rather just curious.

What really pushed me to seek advice here is that I found out that caller I.D. only reads "unknown" if the phone company doesn't have the number in its database. A person cannot make their number appear as "unknown," but only "restricted." Unknown callers are usually from automated machines or old-fashioned rotary callers (source: ex-tele employee).

Thanks!

I'm with others here in agreeing how it's easy for some to have their numbers come up as 'unknown'. I'm still shocked to have our own landline call us, and have it registered on our caller id! :o Anyhow.........................

I would always have reservations about anything that I'm awaken from. Despite it's unexplained factored. I don't know if I can recall the experience, because of my not fully awake situation.

I'm wondering though, and I'm not sure if you said it here, but are they continuing to constantly call you? It sounds like they stopped.

I would think these days, with technology and call id's, that crank calls would be a passing fad.

If an angry spirit was angry and wanted you to know it, I would think they would skip using the phone and message you in person. *shrugs*

I personally would be wondering if this was a random thing, and you are one in many, or if this person knows you. *shrugs again*

A person cannot make their number appear as "unknown," but only "restricted." Unknown callers are usually from

automated machines or old-fashioned rotary callers (source: ex-tele employee).

Wrong. I`ve set my smartphone to not send my number to the call recievers.

• Like 1

I shouldn't have used a sample size of one phone employee -- my mistake. I will trust the consensus of you all on the unknown caller issue hah...

Still, it just rattled me. I would've recorded it, but it was over three years ago.

I guess,all the details aside, the scary thing was the voice's tone. I listen to lots of heavy metal, punk, and watch horror flicks, and nothing has ever come close to this. I wish I had a recording of it.

Welp, thanks anyways everybody. Have a fun Halloween and I will forever wonder what the heck happened.