Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Secession is a deeply American principle’

acidhead

Ron Paul: ‘Secession is a deeply American principle’

121119_ron_paul_ap_605.jpg

By KEVIN CIRILLI | 11/19/12 4:43 PM EST

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) said Monday that secession was a “deeply American principle,” amid a growing number of people petitioning the White House to let their states secede from the U.S.

“Secession is a deeply American principle. This country was born through secession. Some felt it was treasonous to secede from England, but those ‘traitors’ became our country’s greatest patriots,” the former presidential candidate wrote in a post on his House website. “There is nothing treasonous or unpatriotic about wanting a federal government that is more responsive to the people it represents.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/84058.html#ixzz2Ck7vfFGy

• Like 1

"There is nothing treasonous or unpatriotic about wanting a federal government that is more responsive to the people it represents. That is what our Revolutionary War was all about and today our own federal government is vastly overstepping its constitutional bounds with no signs of reform. In fact, the recent election only further entrenched the status quo. If the possibility of secession is completely off the table there is nothing to stop the federal government from continuing to encroach on our liberties and no recourse for those who are sick and tired of it.

Consider the ballot measures that passed in Colorado and Washington state regarding marijuana laws. The people in those states have clearly indicated that they are ready to try something different where drug policy is concerned, yet they will still face a tremendous threat from the federal government. In California, the Feds have been arresting peaceful medical marijuana users and raiding dispensaries that state and local governments have sanctioned. This shouldn’t happen in a free country.

It remains to be seen what will happen in states that are refusing to comply with the deeply unpopular mandates of Obamacare by not setting up healthcare exchanges. It appears the Federal government will not respect those decisions either.

In a free country, governments derive their power from the consent of the governed. When the people have very clearly withdrawn their consent for a law, the discussion should be over. If the Feds refuse to accept that and continue to run roughshod over the people, at what point do we acknowledge that that is not freedom anymore? At what point should the people dissolve the political bands which have connected them with an increasingly tyrannical and oppressive federal government? And if people or states are not free to leave the United States as a last resort, can they really think of themselves as free?

If a people cannot secede from an oppressive government, they cannot truly be considered free."

- Ron Paul

Edited by Drayno
  • Like 1

I always suspected that his ultimate goal was to split up the US of A.

Id rather have a corpse then what we do have. Id pick a dead Ron Paul over a living 0bama any day.

• Like 1

"In a free country, governments derive their power from the consent of the governed. When the people have very clearly withdrawn their consent for a law, the discussion should be over. If the Feds refuse to accept that and continue to run roughshod over the people, at what point do we acknowledge that that is not freedom anymore? At what point should the people dissolve the political bands which have connected them with an increasingly tyrannical and oppressive federal government? And if people or states are not free to leave the United States as a last resort, can they really think of themselves as free?"

this paragraph says it all :yes:

• Like 3

I always suspected that his ultimate goal was to split up the US of A.

No you didnt. And even if you did, you are wrong. He has done everything in his power to restore freedom for all. That was always the goal. Its now been shifted to last resort mode. Besides what split? Every state in the union is in on this to some degree.

• Like 1

-Break away from Britain; establish America.

-Southern states break away; form Confederacy; get beaten.

Very deep Paul, a very deep American principle indeed.

• Like 1

-Break away from Britain; establish America.

-Southern states break away; form Confederacy; get beaten.

Very deep Paul, a very deep American principle indeed.

Considering its directly written in the bill of rights, Id say it is very deep indeed. Problem is people are just to dumb to hold on to thier rights

• Like 1

Considering its directly written in the bill of rights, Id say it is very deep indeed. Problem is people are just to dumb to hold on to thier rights

I know this, but it seems like secession is more like a security clause then a principle. You can't just pull out the word 'secession' just because your party lost and you don't like the other guy, which is exactly what all this 'secession' talk is, whining, not becaue the government is actually a tyrannical monster, no, it's because they didn't get their monster into office.

• Like 3

I know this, but it seems like secession is more like a security clause then a principle. You can't just pull out the word 'secession' just because your party lost and you don't like the other guy, which is exactly what all this 'secession' talk is, whining, not becaue the government is actually a tyrannical monster, no, it's because they didn't get their monster into office.

Folks like Ron Paul are pulling out the word secession, cause this government has abandoned every single thing this country was founded on. If you think Ron Paul wanted Romney to win, and wouldnt be talking about secession if he had, then you dont know anything about him.

• Like 2

Folks like Ron Paul are pulling out the word secession, cause this government has abandoned every single thing this country was founded on. If you think Ron Paul wanted Romney to win, and wouldnt be talking about secession if he had, then you dont know anything about him.

Was he talking about it the last time he ran? What makes this election cycle so special? I've also noticed, anytime I've disagreed with a Ron Paul position, a supporter of his will always say 'you don't know anything about his position'. Sure, the wool's over my eyes and Paul's got the solution. I think Paul's just as much of a political monster as Obama and Romney, he keeps his finger to the pulse and knows what people want to hear and knows what his supporters will like to hear; just like any other political leader.

My problem is this, you can't be part of the government, run for the government, hope to improve things by working in and with the government, and then go off on 'oh secession's a American principle'. Yes, it should be a protected principle for when it's needed, but the government shouldn't advocate for or against it. Especially a politician. Secession is a principle for the ordinary citizen, the ones who feel like they have absolutely no representation in the country. Those petitions? I pay them more mind and give them more respect then I do for a politician saying something.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 1

Was he talking about it the last time he ran? What makes this election cycle so special? I've also noticed, anytime I've disagreed with a Ron Paul position, a supporter of his will always say 'you don't know anything about his position'. Sure, the wool's over my eyes and Paul's got the solution. I think Paul's just as much of a political monster as Obama and Romney, he keeps his finger to the pulse and knows what people want to hear and knows what his supporters will like to hear; just like any other political leader.

Well you are free to think whatever you want. Personaly I judge people based on what they have done. And for over 30 years he has voted on the side of liberty without fail. He is the only guy in government whos actions fall directly in line with what he's said.

How can you not see what makes this election cycle special? We have fallen over every cliff. Freedom stripping legislation is now just the norm. And we are about to fall off a economic cliff thats going to make the depression look like a good timke. And no one in power seems to have the slightest clue what to do.

• Like 4

Well you are free to think whatever you want. Personaly I judge people based on what they have done. And for over 30 years he has voted on the side of liberty without fail. He is the only guy in government whos actions fall directly in line with what he's said.

How can you not see what makes this election cycle special? We have fallen over every cliff. Freedom stripping legislation is now just the norm. And we are about to fall off a economic cliff thats going to make the depression look like a good timke. And no one in power seems to have the slightest clue what to do.

Bush stripped away rights with the Patriot Act. This fiscal cliff nonsense could easily be solved if both parties weren't so die hard set on 'compromising' which is just political talk for 'agree with the majority of what we say and we'll toss you a bone.' These problems have been developing for years. If I were building a LEGO castle and I messed up, would I just give up and walk away or would I go back, step by step to try and fix it? Secession is the first solution, what Paul's been doing for years is the second. I have nothing against Paul and really quite like his positions on many issues. But, personally, I don't trust anyone who's whole career is based around how many votes he has.

Bush stripped away rights with the Patriot Act. This fiscal cliff nonsense could easily be solved if both parties weren't so die hard set on 'compromising' which is just political talk for 'agree with the majority of what we say and we'll toss you a bone.' These problems have been developing for years. If I were building a LEGO castle and I messed up, would I just give up and walk away or would I go back, step by step to try and fix it? Secession is the first solution, what Paul's been doing for years is the second. I have nothing against Paul and really quite like his positions on many issues. But, personally, I don't trust anyone who's whole career is based around how many votes he has.

Yes Bush certainly paved the way for the monsterous government we see today. My eyes became open to where this governmnet wants to take us under Bush. Back when the tea party was grass roots (the first 2 weeks) that happened under Bush. As a congress person, your voting record is all you have. All im saying is, he hasnt given anyone reason to not trust him. The same certainly cant be said for anyone else who ran or tried to run in this last election.

• Like 1

I usually agree with what you post, but you're not making much sense here. I'm not sure what you're suggesting the people are left to do besides revolutionize. Whenever an outside, pro-people person gains support, he is ignored, slandered, and stripped immediately. Paul's career has been based on how many votes he's had? Any honest person, regardless of dem or repub, can agree that this man has been a rare force for good in government for the better part of three decades. There is nothing not to trust with him - just look at his record.

Edited by Legaia
  • Like 3

I'll address both posts that have quoted me.

The problem here, to me, is that people put too much faith in these people, in their record, in what they say. Though what I've said about Paul seems to skip from 'like' to 'dislike' it by no means has set a precident for my views on him. My view, he's a good man and I do like his idea. There's the thing, he's a good man, but I like his ideas. This is probably one reason we have political parties, so the ideas and positions of these people can survive them after death.

The point really I'm trying to make is that so many people always seem to think 'the Repubs/Dems are gonna ruin us' or 'Obama/Romney/Paul will help see us through this mess or fix it'. Sure, they might or they might not. Instead of hearing 'Paul takes this position' what I wish I could hear more of is 'here's the position and these are the people who like it or dislike it'. Politics has become a name and face game, it's not about the issues, it's about the people running these issues and advocating for or against them. It's a giant reality show, we vote on the canadite and the party but not the issues. That's the same thing I see with Paul, people vote for him because 'Paul has good ideas' not 'the ideas Paul follows and supports are good ones'.

But that's just my two cents and it's mostly semantics involved.

The truth is Hasina is a Ron Paul supporter but is just playing devil's advocate.

Im a Ron Paul supporter cause he has spoken on, and taken action in accordance with my beliefs, and in over 30 years has never stepped off that line to appease anyone. To see his name next to 0bama or Ronmey just makes me sick.

I never vote according to how any party feels I should vote. Nor do I play the "well your guy did the same thing so it should be ok" game. None of them are my guy, and neither party represents my beliefs. I stand behind Paul, cause he doesnt either.

The truth is Hasina is a Ron Paul supporter but is just playing devil's advocate.

Pretty close. I'm a supporter of many of his ideas.

The point of my many ranting posts is that politicians represent the ideas, issues, and positions of the people who elected them, which they've shown their support for by talking about them, supporting them, coming up with the ideas, etc. If an idea is good enough, it shouldn't need 'party backing' or some guys name attached to it to make it good. Something's good because it works.

How does this play into secession? Two reasons for me. If you're a politician in America, you work for the American government and for the American people; how can you advocate secession when you are part of that system? It would be like if I wanted to start my own accounting company but I can only do that by getting a job at a company then pulling away from the company and taking their assets. Civilians can do this, why? Because all they do is pay the government to work for them, if that government doesn't do what they need, why keep paying them? It's like if I worked as a tax consultant by was terrible at it, I'd get fired and they'd find someone else.

Second, secession doesn't seem like a solution to fix the problem, it's just a 'give up and run' solution. It works sometimes 'British independence' and other times it's just plain idiotic 'the American Civil War'. So why all this talk of secession [/i]now[/i]? Because it's a buzz word, the media's been talking about it, gets you back in the headlines, and it's a fun word to say and not a lot of people spell it correctly on their first try (guess how many times I've had to backspace to fix it).

He's advocationg secession cause this government doesnt work for the American people at all. They have rigged the game to the point that if you do inteend to work for the people, you wont be elected. At this point secession is the only way to restore the constitution

• Like 1

But that's just my two cents and it's mostly semantics involved.

Very much so.