Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

In search of the Orang-Pendek

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,041 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

www.mania.com said:

Adam Davies is a first-class investigator of all-things cryptozoological and monster-themed, and the author of the book Extreme Expeditions, which I most definitely recommend to anyone and everyone interested in knowing what goes on during a quest to seek out strange beasts in remote and exotic locations.

And, Adam has some excellent news to relate: later this year, he will be leading a team from Britain’s Center for Fortean Zoology (CFZ) to the depths of Sumatra – in search of a breed of mysterious, diminutive ape-men known locally, and collectively, as the Orang-Pendek.

So, it’s over to Adam for all the details: “Sumatra, and the Orang-Pendek, in particular, holds a special affection for me. Since I first visited this beautiful country, with its dense virgin rainforest and proud tribal people, I have always been fascinated by the Orang-Pendek, the ‘short man’ of the forests.

“I have no doubt the Orang-Pendek exists. Over the years I have interviewed many witnesses who have seen this creature. In 2009 the CFZ expedition was fortunate to have an eyewitness ourselves in Dave Archer. And Sahar Didmus saw one pinned against a tree, before it scurried away from us into the jungle. The experience so moved Sahar that he burst into tears.”

Adam continues: “Importantly, there has been a considerable body of scientific evidence that has been gathered to support the existence of the Orang-Pendek. For example, previous expeditions I have led, in 2001 and 2004, brought back both prints and hair samples. These were analyzed by various international experts, including Drs. Chivers, Meldrum and Brunner, who all came to the conclusion that they were from an ‘unknown primate.’”

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 18,739 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

It would be neat if a new primate is discovered.  It will be even more exciting if it is on our branch of the family tree.  Otherwise, though, cool, but not exactly a cryptid.

#3    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,824 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

The rainforest is a virgin?

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,282 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:21 AM

Can't wait to see what happens.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:44 AM

Very interesting , this would be a big discovery :o

TiP.

Archaeology is the search for fact... not truth. - Indiana Jones .

** Lannisters like to keep it in the family **

#6    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 18,739 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:48 AM

Well, depends on what it is.  If it's just another monkey, it'll be forgotten in a month.

#7    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• 1,068 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:54 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 15 March 2011 - 04:48 AM, said:

Well, depends on what it is.  If it's just another monkey, it'll be forgotten in a month.

Yeah true but i dont think they would go to all the trouble if they thought it was just another monkey .

That said its more likely to be an ape like  rather than human like ...

TiP.

Edited by tipotep, 15 March 2011 - 04:56 AM.

Archaeology is the search for fact... not truth. - Indiana Jones .

** Lannisters like to keep it in the family **

#8    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• 1,145 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

View Posttipotep, on 15 March 2011 - 04:54 AM, said:

Yeah true but i dont think they would go to all the trouble if they thought it was just another monkey .

That said its more likely to be an ape like  rather than human like ...

TiP.

I've read it at a reputable place (Darren Naish's Tet Zoo) that the most recent DNA results came back as an unknown primate that's very very close to orangutans. It kinda makes sense.

#9    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• 1,298 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

This is one Cryptid I find possibly could be real. I'm not saying this is a bigfoot etc but, rather like stated above, a type of primate. It's not hard to believe they could find a large, undiscovered primate due to the fact, I believe in the early to mid 80's scientists were told about a large mountain gorilla living (I'm sorry I don't remember the lacation I will search) and scientists dismissed these claims off hand. Finally, evidence and proof of this primate were found, and it became another listed Primate.

#10    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

I hope they find a new ape.I think that there could be something  undiscouvered in a dense jungle/rainforest. I absolutely do not believe in the big foot nonsense,or Nessie .

#11    HMS Dreadnought

HMS Dreadnought

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

Hopefully they get some firm evidence this time, certainly looks likely that the orang pendek does exist.

Dear you guys. Words cannot express how much I hate you guys. As we fight our way northward into the great unknown, only that one thing remains certain: that I hate you guys with every tired muscle in my confederate body. We have taken Topeka and I must rally the men onward to Missouri. Because I will not stop until we have won it all, and you guys are my slaves. Because I hate you guys. I hate you guys so very very much. Yours, General Cartman Lee.

#12    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

I hope the mystry of the wild man of Sumatra is finally solved once and for all.

#13    zooage

zooage

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• Free Tibet

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

So why bother them? They have done nothing to us, lets leave them alone. As soon as he has either captured or photographed one, the "Virgin" rain forest will be full of gun toting thugs wanting to be the first to hang one on their wall or put one in a cage as a pet. Go away and leave them alone!

#14    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:36 AM

View PostColoradoParanormal, on 15 March 2011 - 12:37 PM, said:

This is one Cryptid I find possibly could be real. I'm not saying this is a bigfoot etc but, rather like stated above, a type of primate. It's not hard to believe they could find a large, undiscovered primate due to the fact, I believe in the early to mid 80's scientists were told about a large mountain gorilla living (I'm sorry I don't remember the lacation I will search) and scientists dismissed these claims off hand. Finally, evidence and proof of this primate were found, and it became another listed Primate.
The mountain gorilla has been know since way before the 80's, both subspecies of the eastern gorilla were classified by 1914. It was never a cryptid.

Edited by Mattshark, 16 March 2011 - 12:37 AM.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#15    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:38 AM

View Postzooage, on 15 March 2011 - 11:52 PM, said:

So why bother them? They have done nothing to us, lets leave them alone. As soon as he has either captured or photographed one, the "Virgin" rain forest will be full of gun toting thugs wanting to be the first to hang one on their wall or put one in a cage as a pet. Go away and leave them alone!
Because we can't protect a species that we do not know exists or understand the ecology of.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users