Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Stephen Fry: "only humans are homophobic"

stephen fry homophobic gay out4marriage

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#46    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,129 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:18 AM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 07 October 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

Hang on a minute,  the word 'homophobic' is a made up word & is meaningless in the context of the animal kingdom. It's a bit like saying 'there arn't any facists or communists in the animal knigdom.  Besides, 'phobic' pertains to 'an allergy or irrational fear' of something & in this context i don't think there are people with an allergy or irrational fear of homosexuals.
"God said so" is pretty irrational.

#47    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

I am not homophobic, but there are a lot of things that "only humans" are. Pretty poor and invalid reasoning for just about anything of this nature in my opinion.

#48    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 08 October 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

"God said so" is pretty irrational.

Only to those who don't believe in Him.

#49    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostLeft-Field, on 08 October 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

Well duh !   That's stating the obvious :P

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#50    Blood_Sacrifice

Blood_Sacrifice

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hang on a minute,  the word 'homophobic' is a made up word & is meaningless in the context of the animal kingdom. It's a bit like saying 'there arn't any facists or communists in the animal knigdom.  Besides, 'phobic' pertains to 'an allergy or irrational fear' of something & in this context i don't think there are people with an allergy or irrational fear of homosexuals.

Well substitute homophobic for racist or 'discriminatory mindset' or something similar. From what I know, animals don't discriminate against each other on the basis of their sexuality, but then again...do animals really recognize or even comprehend sexuality? Heaven knows...

As for the ongoing debate regarding modifying people's sexuality --- well I'd say if a consenting adult choose to undergo genetic modification or some other sugery/therapy to change their orientation, I'd let them have their way. However, the procedure must not take place without the explicit consent of the said person as an adult.

It's also better to attack the root cause. Is homosexuality the problem or homophobia? Sexual repression, prejudice in society etc often times result not only in depression but also into other areas of negative thoughts leading to crimes, suicide etc. Hypothetically speaking, if we could stamp homophobia from society completely, will homosexuality still hamper anyone's life or the moral fabric of the society?

"I'm not afraid of dying, just of not achieving very much before I do." - Emma_Acid

#51    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,675 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

View PostNinhursag, on 07 October 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

How come only 260 spieces have homosexual tendencies? How is that possible? How can one spieces have those tendencies and the other don't??

That's confusing. :blink:

There are far more than 260. There are thousands. Everything from mammals to birds to fish and insects and then some.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#52    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,675 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 08 October 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

Believers don't even do everything god said in his magic book, so that argument can be thrown out.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#53    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 13 October 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

Believers don't even do everything god said in his magic book, so that argument can be thrown out.

That is a riduclous conclusion. It doesn't make any sense and only shows your lack of understanding.

Those who believe in God are not sinless. No one has claimed otherwise.

#54    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,675 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostLeft-Field, on 14 October 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

That is a riduclous conclusion. It doesn't make any sense and only shows your lack of understanding.

Those who believe in God are not sinless. No one has claimed otherwise.

I'm saying you can't use it as a justification for hating gays when you don't follow the other laws of your book of jewish fairy tales.

#55    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 14 October 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

I'm saying you can't use it as a justification for hating gays when you don't follow the other laws of your book of jewish fairy tales.

Whoah... when did I say I hate or even dislike "gays?"

You have no idea who my friends are, what my own sexual identity is, or any conflicts I have may have faced along the way regarding sexuality.

People who believe in God and the Bible most definitely struggle with following His path. No one (certainly not me anyway) has stated otherwise.

That, however, does not mean they don't recognize His laws and do their best to not only follow them, but seek forgiveness when they fail to do so.

A person can struggle with homosexuality themselves while still believing in God and the Bible. They can believe (or perhaps even know) it is wrong while still either participating in homosexual acts and/or having homosexual thoughts that tempt them to do such things.

As for your "magical" and "fairy tale" comments referring to the Bible you state foolish things. Willingly turn away from God, let alone mock Him, and you fill find yourself in darkness when all is said and done.

#56    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,675 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

View PostLeft-Field, on 14 October 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

Whoah... when did I say I hate or even dislike "gays?"

You have no idea who my friends are, what my own sexual identity is, or any conflicts I have may have faced along the way regarding sexuality.

People who believe in God and the Bible most definitely struggle with following His path. No one (certainly not me anyway) has stated otherwis

That, however, does not mean they don't recognize His laws and do their best to not only follow them, but seek forgiveness when they fail to do so.

A person can struggle with homosexuality themselves while still believing in God and the Bible. They can believe (or perhaps even know) it is wrong while still either participating in homosexual acts and/or having homosexual thoughts that tempt them to do such things.

Homosexuality is not wrong. It's biological.

As for your "magical" and "fairy tale" comments referring to the Bible you state foolish things. Willingly turn away from God, let alone mock Him, and you fill find yourself in darkness when all is said and done.

Never said I was talking about you, buddy.

And I will continue to mock and turn away from your imaginary god every chance I get. And I'll love doing it, too.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 14 October 2012 - 02:05 AM.

#57    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

View PostLeft-Field, on 14 October 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

Willingly turn away from God, let alone mock Him

How does one turn away from a being they do not believe exists.. What is there to turn away from exactly?

and you fill find yourself in darkness when all is said and done.

If you are in complete darkness..how would you find yourself?   lol Who said  anyone will be in darkness ?

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 14 October 2012 - 02:54 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#58    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,365 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

I fully believe and have met people who have an irrational fear of homosexuals.

#59    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

As a red blooded god fearing man who has hobbies including diving fishing and hunting. And one who is hetero and enjoys a beer (but never into sport) . I've never understood homophobia. I have a lesbian friend. I have gay Co workers. My parents were friends with a young gay couple when I was a kid and I have an elderly gay couple next door who we chat to regularly. Their homosexuality does not make them better or worse people. They accept me I accept them and it doesn't affect my life one iota. Live and let live. I judge people on their actions not their choice of consenting adult partner :-)

#60    TheLogic

TheLogic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

I agree with Stephen Fry's opinion on the subject.
I happen to believe that each human being has their own state of mind and their own beliefs, You should not be told how to live your life just because others do not like the way you are.

Continue to live this life as if their is nobody else watching what you do, be free and love as you wish.

Edited by TheLogic, 15 October 2012 - 03:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users