Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Jesus a Buddhist monk?

Big Bad Voodoo

Good philosophy doesn't mean copied philosophy.

Could you expand because I may be missing something important. I was in the camp that Jesus studied Buddhism and the likes until I seriously researched it and found myself in doubt.

I see too many parallels for it to be simply coincidental:

Jesus: "Do to others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:31

Buddha: "Consider others as yourself." Dhammapada 10:1

(this is the clearest example)

Good philosophy does not mean copied philosophy. Most of my personal views on life and how it should be lived parallels Buddhism almost exactly. I did not study Buddhism until about 4 years ago. I have held the same views for over ten years. Six of those ten years I knew Buddhism only by name. Does that mean 9 years ago I was a Buddhist? Simply because the philosophy I held mirrored Buddhism?

• Like 1

This is what I should have said first though. Thank you for giving an example. This is honest comparison. Keep showing references like this as you post. Next we'll work on links. (Copy and paste address from the address bar... right click copy then right click paste) you will be up to no good in no time. Seriously though with all the heck you have gotten lately I thought I'd give you praise for proper posting.

This is what I should have said first though. Thank you for giving an example. This is honest comparison. Keep showing references like this as you post. Next we'll work on links. (Copy and paste address from the address bar... right click copy then right click paste) you will be up to no good in no time. Seriously though with all the heck you have gotten lately I thought I'd give you praise for proper posting.

Thank you. I have many other things like this, for my other theses, but this one was far simpler to write out: I have it posted to my wall.

I believe that Jesus of Nazareth was indeed a Hindu and Buddhist yogi/monk, yes. I find that the evidence is compelling, and points towards such a truth. The fact that Jesus very clearly quotes Buddha and the Hindu writings multiple times, both in the canonic and non-canonic gospels, is one of the most obvious indications that Jesus was well-learned in the Eastern philosophies.

The other option is of course the Lord God 'trialled' his new code of conduct in Asia and the green-lit it in Judea ;)

More likely is the fact that I've misunderstood what I read :)

FWIW I read about Nicea during a Certificate degree on Theology, so there could have been a bias in the text...

History is written by the winners. The Mandeans also weren't found of JC and discredited his divinity. Christians and Muslims have tried to have them extinct.

http://www.askwhy.co.uk/christianity/0255Mandaeans.php

Edit to add: this particular belief (IMHO) would deserve a thread all by itself.

Edited by Paracelse

Just because a culture uses the same knowledge as several others does not necessarily mean that there must be a common root. For instance, Agriculture developed in like a dozen different places spontaneously without cross trade of knowledge. The Bow and Arrow was invented in Africa, Asia and the Americas all independantly.

That both Jesus and Buddha both shared some philosophy simply means they had shared ethos and morals. They were both "Good" men.

Edited by DieChecker

History is written by the winners. The Mandeans also weren't found of JC and discredited his divinity. Christians and Muslims have tried to have them extinct.

http://www.askwhy.co.uk/christianity/0255Mandaeans.php

Edit to add: this particular belief (IMHO) would deserve a thread all by itself.

There's even a branch of Christianity pre-Nicea that basically said "Jesus was a bloke who God tapped to make the ultimate sacrifice".

And there's a theory that the Christ movement even in Jesus' day was less then white as the driven snow - Iscariot apparently means "throat slitter", some people interpret this to mean that Judas came from a family whose job it was to ritually slaughter animals others suggest that he was the movement's knifeman and the "Iscariot" was a nickname from the others.

There's even a branch of Christianity pre-Nicea that basically said "Jesus was a bloke who God tapped to make the ultimate sacrifice".

And there's a theory that the Christ movement even in Jesus' day was less then white as the driven snow - Iscariot apparently means "throat slitter", some people interpret this to mean that Judas came from a family whose job it was to ritually slaughter animals others suggest that he was the movement's knifeman and the "Iscariot" was a nickname from the others.

Jesus did say, he did not come to preach to those who were faithful and good. He came to preach to the sinful, evil and wicked.

We must remember that the world was very different then in terms of the centres of influence. Northern Europe was largely illiterate with the centres of the world in the Roman Empire (including Egypt and Greece), Persia, Babylon, India and China (and the Americas).

Trade was widespread between these cultures as well as the spread of ideas. Indian philosophy found its way to Peria and from Persia to Babylon and Judea.

That said there are many parallels between the teachings of Jesus and Buddha with some of Jesus's teachings seeming to be direct quotes of Buddha.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/103336.Jesus_and_Buddha

Some legends believe Thomas was Jesus's twin brother and he of course travelled to India. There have been Jews in India since around the time of Buddha so it is not impossible Jesus did go to India during his "missing years" or at least that a visiting Buddhist influenced him in Judea.

We must remember that the world was very different then in terms of the centres of influence. Northern Europe was largely illiterate with the centres of the world in the Roman Empire (including Egypt and Greece), Persia, Babylon, India and China (and the Americas).

Trade was widespread between these cultures as well as the spread of ideas. Indian philosophy found its way to Peria and from Persia to Babylon and Judea.

That said there are many parallels between the teachings of Jesus and Buddha with some of Jesus's teachings seeming to be direct quotes of Buddha.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/103336.Jesus_and_Buddha

Some legends believe Thomas was Jesus's twin brother and he of course travelled to India. There have been Jews in India since around the time of Buddha so it is not impossible Jesus did go to India during his "missing years" or at least that a visiting Buddhist influenced him in Judea.

Thomas means twin in Aramaic

In the Quoran version I've read, Simon of Cyrene died on the cross in lieu of JC

That story is actually older than the Qur'an :

According to some Gnostic traditions, Simon of Cyrene, by mistaken identity, suffered the events leading up to the crucifixion, and died on the cross instead of Jesus. This is the story presented in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth, although it is unclear whether Simon or another actually died on the cross.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_of_Cyrene

Dunno, but I get a terrible Monty Pythonian feeling when I read this, lol.

• Like 1

That story is actually older than the Qur'an :

According to some Gnostic traditions, Simon of Cyrene, by mistaken identity, suffered the events leading up to the crucifixion, and died on the cross instead of Jesus. This is the story presented in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth, although it is unclear whether Simon or another actually died on the cross.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_of_Cyrene

Dunno, but I get a terrible Monty Pythonian feeling when I read this, lol.

You mean Longinus looked like this?

John-Cleese-Michael-Palin-007.jpg

PS check the dude on the left

We weally shouldn't bwing up Monty Python and the Wife of Bwian you know!

Edited by Wearer of Hats

God, Monty Python rules !!!

Doesn't any of you wish one of them to post here??

I think the number of visitors to this site would explode exponantionally (is that spelled correctly?).

exponentially

Well, that was just one letter off.

Not that bad, eh?

Now you try to speak Dutch on a Dutch board.

+++++++

EDIT:

OK, that was an unnecessary rude remark, but sometimes I get p***ed off doing my best to write in English and have people correct my spelling.

But I asked for a correction of my spelling, and so you did.

Sorry.

(I was in a bit of a bad temper, my ex was with me this evening.)

Edited by Abramelin

Hello Umers,

In the past when Lama dies Buddhist monks looks for the sign in the sky for reincarnation of Lama. When they find reincanated Lama then they took that child and teach him -at ages where he could be thought properly.

Were Biblical Magi buddhists monks? So is Jesus raised in India?

We dont know much about Jesus early life except gnostic documents.

Nicolaj Notovič Russian Cossack officer ,spy and journalist, studied Buddhism in Tibet and wrote book: Unknown life of Jesus.

In his book he said that Buddist at Tibet wrote that "divine child is born in Judea-Isa .Isa came to India at age 14 and study Buddhism and leave at age of 29 and set on the way to Jerusalem. Where he teach people and later was killed." In short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Notovitch

As I heard Buddha also healed people,walk on water,feed mass of hungry people...so...

Also there are legends among people in India about Jusasa who was sheperd and healer.(as I heard)(?)

Nope, Jesus was the creator of all monks and all things. Look at this in your Bible and think about it. Most Christians miss the obviousness in this first scripture as well. Read it slowly and think about it. It is not a trick saying or a typo of the Bible. It is a secret in plain sight for the wise in heart.

John 12:44-45

44 Then Jesus cried out and said, “He who believes in me, believes not in me, but in Him who sent Me. 45 And he who sees me sees Him who sent me.

John 14:9

9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

Isaiah 9:6

6 For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And his name will be called; Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

John 20:26-28

26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.” 28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

Edited by MysteryX

Nope, Jesus was the creator of all monks and all things. Look at this in your Bible and think about it. Most Christians miss the obviousness in this first scripture as well. Read it slowly and think about it. It is not a trick saying or a typo of the Bible. It is a secret in plain sight for the wise in heart.

44 Then Jesus cried out and said, “He who believes in me, believes not in me, but in Him who sent Me. 45 And he who sees me sees Him who sent me.

9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

6 For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And his name will be called; Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.” 28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

Nope. Don't see the connection. Good effort though.

I don't hate you for trying, but please. Can you present any argument or evidence which would make me think that I should take any of this seriously? You're sure to get some sort of award or at least fame from it: people have been trying for 2,000 years. And no one has succeeded yet. Let's see if you're any better than all the rest. Go ahead.

I don't hate you for trying, but please. Can you present any argument or evidence which would make me think that I should take any of this seriously? You're sure to get some sort of award or at least fame from it: people have been trying for 2,000 years. And no one has succeeded yet. Let's see if you're any better than all the rest. Go ahead.

This one sure does take the cake.

Look who is talking???

A person who has been asked umpteen times for evidence (yess sire, the same word that you have just used.) for his outlandish claims and never ever has bothered to provide any, is asking another for evidence.

Is there an UM award for comedy??

Please award it to him...Please.

The Buddhist symbol of the eight-spoked wheel is also found in Saint Peter's Plaza in Vatican.

In 1921, Sir Charles Eliot, writing of apparent similarities between Christian practices and their counterparts in Buddhist tradition, expressed the view that: " When all allowance is made for similar causes and coincidences, it is hard to believe that a collection of such practices as clerical celibacy, confession, the veneration of relics, the use of the rosary and bells can have originated independently in both religions."wiki

Btw Eliot was in China during Opium wars. He was on ship Nemesis durimg naval battles which was proud of British navy.

Gruber and Kersten (1995) claim that Buddhism had a substantial influence on the life and teachings of Jesus.[4] They claim that Jesus was influenced by the teachings and practices of Therapeutae, described by the authors as teachers of the Buddhist Theravada school then living in Judaea. They assert that Jesus lived the life of a Buddhist and taught Buddhist ideals to his disciples

Similar quotes:

Jesus: If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also.

Buddha: If anyone should give you a blow with his hand, with a stick, or with a knife, you should abandon any desires and utter no evil words.

Jesus: Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, “Friend, let me take the speck out of your eye,” when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You, hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor’s eye.

Buddha: The faults of others are easier to see than one’s own; the faults of others are easily seen, for they are sifted like chaff, but one’s own faults are hard to see. This is like the cheat who hides his dice and shows the dice of his opponent, calling attention to the other’s shortcomings, continually thinking of accusing him.

Jesus: Your father in heaven makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous.

Buddha: The great cloud rains down on all whether their nature is superior or inferior. The light of the sun and the moon illuminates the whole world, both him who does well and him who does ill, both him who stands high and him who stands low.

Jesus: He said to them, “When I sent you out without a purse, bag, or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “No, not a thing.”

Buddha: Then the Lord addressed the monks, saying: “I am freed from all snares. And you, monks, you are freed from all snares.”

Jesus: The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field, which someone found and hid; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

Buddha: If by giving up limited pleasures one sees far-reaching happiness, the wise one leaves aside limited pleasures, looking to far-reaching happiness.

Jesus: Those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it.

Buddha: With the relinquishing of all thought and egotism, the enlightened one is liberated through not clinging.

Here is more quotes

http://www.johnworldpeace.com/budjesus.asp

Hmm I saw this book in a nearby book store, "Jesus lived in India: The unknown life of Jesus Christ". I think it's the same book you describe OP. I didn't read it, so I cant make any assessments. But I always found interesting the Christ = kṛṣṇa (Krishna) similarity :)

Do tell please.

In Islam the tradition about Jesus (Issa)is that he survived the cross and was taken to heaven alive. He is expected to return in the last days to Damascus. He will reject Christians and say that he never told anyone he was the son of god. He will pray "after" Mahdi and will kill all Jews and Christians who will not convert to the true religion of Islam.

The disciples all died as martyrs except John:

http://poptop.hypermart.net/howdied.html

Thanks. :tu: