Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Dodging TV licence will not be a crime'

Still Waters

It will no longer be a criminal offence to refuse to pay the TV licence fee, under radical plans being backed by ministers.

Currently, anyone failing to pay the licence fee who watches live television at home faces a fine of up to £1,000 and a criminal record. Those who refuse to pay any fines they are given by a Magistrates Court ultimately face jail.

http://www.telegraph...be-a-crime.html

They need to scrap it altogether!

• Like 1

Was there not talk of scrapping the TV License in favour of an all round media License to nail people who stream TV programs on their PC's and tablets ?

• Like 1

Unfortunately I fear the BBC will whinge and wine until it is dropped.

Their collection methods are horrible and they bully the most vulnerable. I fell £5.50 behind with my weekly payments and received 12 phone calls in a day, the latest one being gone 9:30pm on a Friday night. A lady upstairs who is a single parent had £56 which was every penny she had taken off her by one of their bully boys. They kept mentioning prosecution and courts and read her her rights in front of her very upset children.

I would love to see this practice end.

Edited by skookum
  • Like 1

im a big believer in the TV licence, i think its one of the few things in life that is true value for money. £145 a year for quality TV programs, plus all BBC national and local radio stations and lets not forget all the online services too, all paid for by the licence fee. outstanding.

• Like 2

im a big believer in the TV licence, i think its one of the few things in life that is true value for money. £145 a year for quality TV programs, plus all BBC national and local radio stations and lets not forget all the online services too, all paid for by the licence fee. outstanding.

Plus... if you only have the one eye it's a mere £72.50!

(BBC4 is quality, btw)

• Like 2

What's funny is the TV detection vans they go on about don't actually work with modern screens. They relied on detecting cathods from CRTs, but no one has them any more :P

Always viewed this as an unofficial Tax,after all the BBC has always been an official mouth piece for the UK government in certain areas who have always returned the favour by protecting it from commercial and private interests.

Let face it,if the Beeb went bust tomorrow,would it not be the British tax payer that would bail it out.To treat the very people that would almost certainly bail her out like 2nd class citizens is criminal in it's self.

Edited by shaddow134

What's funny is the TV detection vans they go on about don't actually work with modern screens. They relied on detecting cathods from CRTs, but no one has them any more :P

The other thing is if you refuse entry to their bully boys to your home they can't do anything. Many have challenged the court orders they return with and they go away empty handed. They may bring the police with them who will do nothing if a breach of the peace is not happening, they will not enforce the court order.

It is an old outdated system and the technology is there to make the BBC subscription only via the TV licence. If they offer such brilliant value for money then surely people would subscribe, however I don't think they would which says it all.

• Like 1