Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Benefits of sun 'may outweigh risks'

Still Waters

The health benefits of exposing skin to sunlight may far outweigh the risk of developing skin cancer, according to scientists.

Edinburgh University research suggests sunlight helps reduce blood pressure, cutting heart attack and stroke risks and even prolonging life.

UV rays were found to release a compound that lowers blood pressure.

Researchers said more studies would be carried out to determine if it is time to reconsider advice on skin exposure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-fife-22433359

Once again, science has painstakingly proven that what we all took to be common sense is actually right.

• Like 1

From such a superficial report I have to wonder if maybe the reason those getting more sunshine seemed to live longer is that they were a healthier group going in. Sickly people tend to stay indoors.

That is the problem with these press stories. My view remains that we all need vitamin D supplements and that a little sun won't hurt, but probably only if it is gotten exercising, not toasting ourselves on the beach. Skin cancer and premature skin aging remain risks.

• Like 4

Iv always argued with everyone that the sun is good for you despite what they say.

My logic? because everything needs the sun to survive ... so duh.

• Like 1

Maybe it's a case where a little bit is good but a lot is not?

Art

• Like 1

People have been brained washed into believing that the sun is harmful to the point they'll smear their bare skin with all kinds of toxic chemicals and then bake them right into their bodies. Makes me laugh. I stick to the basic rule " if you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin". And living on the beach, I know all about sun exposure. Alls I ever use is a water mist bottle and have never had a sun burn, Once again it should boil down to common sense.

• Like 2

People have been brained washed into believing that the sun is harmful to the point they'll smear their bare skin with all kinds of toxic chemicals and then bake them right into their bodies. Makes me laugh. I stick to the basic rule " if you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin". And living on the beach, I know all about sun exposure. Alls I ever use is a water mist bottle and have never had a sun burn, Once again it should boil down to common sense.

Yeah and those chemicals they use create a higher risk of cancer as well. It's hilarious.

Surely the skin colouring will make a difference too.

I would not believe that a person with black skin was at the same risk of sun damage than a person of very fair skin.

It does not say if the 24 volunteers were all of the same colour skin or whether they were all from the same parts of the world.

So the use of suncreams is still a must for some people. if someone burns very easily, then it does do damage to the skin.

• Like 1

Surely the skin colouring will make a difference too.

I would not believe that a person with black skin was at the same risk of sun damage than a person of very fair skin.

It does not say if the 24 volunteers were all of the same colour skin or whether they were all from the same parts of the world.

So the use of suncreams is still a must for some people. if someone burns very easily, then it does do damage to the skin.

No kidding. I am very, very fair skinned, so much so my husband teases me about glowing in the dark. I gave up trying to tan years ago because I would simply turn red and then back to white again. I have no choice but to wear sunscreen as much as I hate it.

• Like 1

From such a superficial report I have to wonder if maybe the reason those getting more sunshine seemed to live longer is that they were a healthier group going in. Sickly people tend to stay indoors.

That is the problem with these press stories. My view remains that we all need vitamin D supplements and that a little sun won't hurt, but probably only if it is gotten exercising, not toasting ourselves on the beach. Skin cancer and premature skin aging remain risks.

Well, one of the problems is it is kind of true, but sensationalized. It is true that getting some sun exposure during peak vitamin D producing days and hours is more important than always wearing sunblock. What is not true is that you have to chose between skin cancer and vitamin D. You should always wear sunblock when spending long hours in the sun, like when swimming or boating. If you garden a couple hours during the morning wear a sun hat and sun block on your face, shoulders, and exposed back/chest. These areas are more prone to sun damage in general. Don't bake in the sun on purpose.