Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The island of the dolls

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: sxc.hu</strong>
Image credit: sxc.hu
Matt Forde: The winding canals of Mexico City’s ancient Xochimilco district harbour a disturbing and exceptional locale. Within the meandering waterways of the quiet wetlands, eighteen miles from the city’s centre and away from the mariachi bands and most of the colourful trajineras, lies a small island on Teshuilo Lake where a spectacle can be seen that is so unique and macabre it is quickly gaining worldwide infamy. Amid the native trees and the overgrown wetland flora that populates the diminutive island, thousands of children’s dolls cling to branches, tree trunks and other unusual perches, all in varying states of decay. Their sightless eyes and lifeless limbs swaying silently in the gentle Aztecan breezes until the veil of night falls upon the land and, as the local residents claim, the dolls become animated by the spirits of the dead and beckon the unwary to a watery grave.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Cryptozological Mascot

Cryptozological Mascot

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

• “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.” –Martin Reese, British Astronomer

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

Destination truth visited the island and did a show there.  One of the dolls did actually move... Now if only there was an island of clowns, then my tropical nightmares would be real!!!:devil:

The world is my oyster... and I'm allergic to sea food.
My Background / Credentials

#3    ~TheBigK~

~TheBigK~

Government Agent

• 3,926 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

View PostJCon, on 26 August 2010 - 03:22 PM, said:

Destination truth visited the island and did a show there.  One of the dolls did actually move... Now if only there was an island of clowns, then my tropical nightmares would be real!!!:devil:
That was a good episode. :P Even if it's just dolls and nothing paranormal, I still don't think I could step foot on that island haha.

Posted Image

#4    olympic1

olympic1

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:53 PM

would be scary to live there even if there is no ghosts there

#5    Mobhitmusicman

Mobhitmusicman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:50 AM

Awesome Idea. I'll send you the Travel Brochure Soon!

MMM

Edited by Mobhitmusicman, 27 August 2010 - 05:51 AM.

You think I am right behind you, But I wouldn't look over your shoulder!

#6    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

Pretty cool story.

#7    Great Big Sea

Great Big Sea

Poltergeist

• 2,459 posts

• We should respect a person not because who they are, but what they do with their life, is the way they earn our respect.

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

You couldn't pay me a million dollars to go anywhere near that island. I hate dolls. I did watch that episode of Destination Truth, a three or so months ago, on OLN. Anthony Bourdain (sp?) also went there on a episode of No Reservations.

"This is probably the strangest position I've been in on this show." Adam Savage.

"Notice how he says "On this Show." Kari Byron

Mythbusters.

#8    Hoyle

Hoyle

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:16 AM

:sleepy: Well, that story was just fascinating. I had never heard of such a place before in mexico. But yes i do recall seeing it on No Reservations, however i didn't know the actual story behind it lol. Actually i find this very interesting and to be honest hellz, i wouldn't mind staying a night just to see, what weirdnessez occur in the dark of the night  :whistle: Sure makes me feel excited just thinking about it!

#9    Cryptid_Control

Cryptid_Control

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

• “When the snows falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

One of their best episodes.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

#10    farandaway

farandaway

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

• I know the voices aren't real...but they have some pretty good ideas!

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

I also saw the DT episode shot there.  The dolls hanging from the trees were the stuff of nightmares.  I don't think even the spirit of a little girl would go near them. :no:

And all dead years draw thither, and all disastrous things...  
The Garden of Proserpine by Algernon Charles Swinburne

#11    pixiii

pixiii

Psychic Spy

• 2,039 posts

• Patefacio vestri mens quod praesumo somnio...
    Open your mind and dare to dream...

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

Yeah! I was just gonna mention that I saw that episode of it the other day for the first time.  I was very surprised when the doll actually moved and blinked it's eye.  I know the chances of the eye blinking are probably quite low but ... meh, it happened on camera and was caught on film so it was great imo. ;)

As to the legend, I believe it was more superstition than anything else on the old guy's part.  :unsure2:

#12    ~ MacDDT ~

~ MacDDT ~

___~ ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ ~___

• 1,235 posts

• I hope that I'm reincarnated as a bug because I know where I will find a good meal

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

View PostGreat Big Sea, on 27 August 2010 - 05:57 PM, said:

You couldn't pay me a million dollars to go anywhere near that island. I hate dolls. I did watch that episode of Destination Truth, a three or so months ago, on OLN. Anthony Bourdain (sp?) also went there on a episode of No Reservations.
I agree, I can't stand those creepy dolls. I always thought it was because of their eyes but when they have no eyes they look even more creepy!

"It’s funny how the colours of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen." Alex - Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange

#13    Ronseal

Ronseal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

• another man's junk is another man's treasure

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:52 PM

very good story shame my nan passed and gave us a cabinate of dolls my ex would never sleep in the frontroom because she was scared of them i dint blame her they do look very suspicious ow and now im gonna watch the episode thing  :no:

Edited by Ronseal, 02 September 2010 - 09:59 PM.

Every Dog Has His Day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users