Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Government to Tax Your Car Usage by the Mile

aztek

Chad Shirley, CBO's deputy assistant director for microeconomic studies, gave a presentation that says federal gas tax revenues are falling short of federal spending on highway programs. But to resolve that problem, Shirley didn't propose less federal spending, and instead offered three suggestions.

The first is simply, "charging drivers" more the more they drive on roads:

Shirley said that one way to charge drivers more is to implement "vehicle-miles traveled charges."

Some members of Congress and some officials in the Obama administration have argued for years that a vehicle miles traveled tax, or a "VMT" tax, should be imposed in order to create more federal highway revenue. The Obama administration in 2011 floated a draft bill that would have created a VMT.

Among other things, that plan foresaw the installation of equipment on people's cars and trucks that would measure how far they drive, and the collection of taxes electronically through a reading of those devices at gas stations.

More recently, some Democrats have proposed legislation creating a VMT tax. But none of these plans have advanced in the Republican-led Congress.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/03/15/coming-soon-government-to-tax-your-car-usage-by-the-mile/1/

I see these ideas pop up every once in a while. Hopefully it never catches on

• Like 3

My prediction is that this will never fly. There will be way too much opposition, especially from the trucking industry. Taxing driving miles would increase shipping costs on goods. Goods would go up in price to compensate; big plus for the government though with more sales tax on higher prices. Inflation will take hold and the economy will tank.

For every action there is an equal reaction.

• Like 1

I say yes, absolutely to this on a state level, but on a federal level no way. Your vehicle license tabs are not issued or regulated by the federal government so too much new administration would have to be created to run it on a federal level and it would cost more than it would be worth. Let the drivers pay the sates yearly when they renew tabs on vehicles they will report mileage and be taxed accordingly per vehicle at that time. Then the feds can simply collect it from the states instead of individuals.

Can you imagine the amount of admin that would have to be set up for the feds to start collecting taxes on the mileage from 300 million vehicles. Why not just collect it from 50 states instead? Our federal government is run by morons that can't wait to take any opportunity to make it larger and more all encompassing. This type of idiocy infuriates me to no end.

• Like 2

if they would use the tax they collect now for the roads instead of other things wwe wouldn't have a problem.

My prediction is that this will never fly. There will be way too much opposition, especially from the trucking industry. Taxing driving miles would increase shipping costs on goods. Goods would go up in price to compensate; big plus for the government though with more sales tax on higher prices. Inflation will take hold and the economy will tank.

true, however they can do it only for private vehicles, there will be no strong opposition. when no union, no industry involved gvmnt can do anything they want, like lowering taxes for rich, but hit middle class with more of it, they wont be able to do anything about but pay, and if they do not, charge them with tax evasion

if they would use the tax they collect now for the roads instead of other things wwe wouldn't have a problem.

but they wont, they will mismanage, aka steal that too.,

I say yes, absolutely to this on a state level, but on a federal level no way. Your vehicle license tabs are not issued or regulated by the federal government so too much new administration would have to be created to run it on a federal level and it would cost more than it would be worth. Let the drivers pay the sates yearly when they renew tabs on vehicles they will report mileage and be taxed accordingly per vehicle at that time. Then the feds can simply collect it from the states instead of individuals.

Can you imagine the amount of admin that would have to be set up for the feds to start collecting taxes on the mileage from 300 million vehicles. Why not just collect it from 50 states instead? Our federal government is run by morons that can't wait to take any opportunity to make it larger and more all encompassing. This type of idiocy infuriates me to no end.

no need for anything new, the system already is in place, it is called inspection stations, that send your cars mileage to dmv during inspection now.

If they want a revolution, let it start with this idiotic plan.

no need for anything new, the system already is in place, it is called inspection stations, that send your cars mileage to dmv during inspection now.

Nope, to do it at a federal level calls for a whole new alphabet agency. That's why you have state tabs for your vehicle and state drivers licenses.

In the United States a department of motor vehicles (DMV) is a state-level government agency that administers vehicle registration and driver licensing.

source

Edited by OverSword

Nope, to do it at a federal level calls for a whole new alphabet agency. That's why you have state tabs for your vehicle and state drivers licenses.

source

yea i know it is a state thing, however i can log into car fax, and get info on any car registered in any state. they system is already in place. all they have to do is to find efficient way to use it. don't believe me? give me your lic plate and i'll tell you your mileage at last inspection, as well as how many times it was registered, and if it was into an accident, assuming ins claim was made. i may even be able to see current owners name and address.,

if they do create another agency, i suspect lion share of tax will be used to operate that agency, and problem with low funds for road maintenance will still exist,

or they may even use irs for that, since it is a tax. no need for new agency, just new dept at irs, that works with dmvs of all states.

not to mention, read page 2 of the article, they talking about installing a device in all cars that will transmit mileage to their center

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

What? You would support this tax?

We already get taxed heavily at the pump and now you want us to get taxed for actually using our cars?

This is like saying let's tax people for how much they walk a month

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

That is what the Germans said, now trucks over 7.5 metric tons are already paying by the kilometer on the Autobahn, plans to extend that to cars are on hold as effectively only foreigners (including EU foreigners) would pay it as the classical car taxes would be abolished with the introduction. The European Court is considering whether that is compatible with European laws.

Be very careful when politicians have bright ideas.

• Like 2

our truckers already pay a lot more at toll booth, they are charged per axle. bridge closest to me charges toll per car, but for trucks it is per axle, an 18 wheeler has 5 axles, so its toll is $86, not $16 as a car would pay.

• Like 1

Seems somewhat unnecessary. If you think about it, it pretty much is a variation of the tax we pay per gallon of gas. The only thing this does is tax fuel efficient cars more and gas hogs less.

that plan foresaw the installation of equipment on people's cars and trucks that would measure how far they drive

We already have that, it's called an odometer. ¬_¬

odometer.jpg

More seriously, just add more tax at the pump, it will be easier to implement that add a new gadget in cars which aren't made for that.

somehow i won't be surprise if 'GPS Tracker' tagging will be involved in this equation sometime down the line ...

~

• Like 1

Seems somewhat unnecessary. If you think about it, it pretty much is a variation of the tax we pay per gallon of gas. The only thing this does is tax fuel efficient cars more and gas hogs less.

Which might be systemic (poor people tend to have less gas guzzling cars), now, don't expect the gas tax to disappear with that, especially not the part that goes to the individual states. Taxes once introduced have a tendency to never be abolished again. Best example also found in Germany: Kaiser Wilhelm II introduced the foamy wine tax in 1902 to finance his battle fleet. The battle fleet lay rusting on the floor of Scapa Flow since 1919... the tax still exists.

Chad Shirley, CBO's deputy assistant director for microeconomic

studies, gave a presentation that says federal gas tax revenues are falling short of federal spending on highway programs. But to

resolve that problem, Shirley didn't propose less federal spending, and instead offered three suggestions. The first is simply,

"charging drivers" more the more they drive on roads: Shirley said that one way to charge drivers more is to implement

"vehicle-miles traveled charges."

Well, thats a very micro minded idea by the assistant director for microeconomic studies. If there is money needed to build and to

maintain US highways, the real simple way would be to increase the fuel taxes, simply just that because, maybe Shirley dont know

yet, fuel consumption is distance related. Of course, Chads idea would generate domestic jobs for the administration of the system,

for the OEMs of the needed equipment and for the integration and maintenace if it as well. But, is it the job of private car owners to

pay for a possible increase of economy in a limited area? And to accept a device in the car that maybe will track the owner and

collect other data that might be of interest for 3rt parties like car insurance companies? Two times:no.

it isn't the people who have to worry directly. i am sure the government will alot a minimum milage before the tax kicks in. only those who drive cab drivers, trucks, and people who drive for a living or vacation.

That is what the Germans said, now trucks over 7.5 metric tons are already paying by the kilometer on the Autobahn, plans to extend that to cars are on hold as effectively only foreigners (including EU foreigners) would pay it as the classical car taxes would be abolished with the introduction. The European Court is considering whether that is compatible with European laws.

our truckers already pay a lot more at toll booth, they are charged per axle. bridge closest to me charges toll per car, but for trucks it is per axle, an 18 wheeler has 5 axles, so its toll is $86, not $16 as a car would pay.

We have tolls in place in New York State for the New York State Thruway and other bridges and tunnels. That's about as far as I'd like to see charging motorists to drive. We can't just let the government keep interfering with things like this. I've been paying taxes my entire life. If you've ever driven in NY State you will know that many of our roads are less than desirable to drive on with the condition that they are in. We've got two seasons here; Winter & Road Construction... it seems like they are always working on the roads and somehow they are never as nice as I've seen them in other states or even in Canada.

I can already see how it will be in about 50 years if we start taxing drivers by mileage for everyday driving.

Suddenly ahead of me

Across the mountainside

A gleaming alloy air-car

Shoots towards me two lanes wide

Oh, I spin around with shrieking tires

To run the deadly race

Go screaming through the valley

As another joins the chase ~ RUSH 'Red Barchetta'

Seems like tracking all this data would be an invasion of privacy. The government would have to maintain huge logs of data and this could be expensive. Gas taxes, vehicle tag fees, insurance, and tolls are enough.

Keep in mind though that several states don't have any inspection system at all- a third of the country does not. Other states only have inspections in some places and not others, or don't do inspections every year. Some states don't require any testing on new cars for the first couple to few years of usage. Other states don't require inspections on cars over a certain age. Some states only require a safety inspection upon the sale of the car, and not after that and yet other states only check the VIN on the sale of an out of state car, and not after that. And there are actually two different kinds of inspections depending on the state- some do safety inspections, and some to emissions testing. Not all testing stations are able to send information into the local DMV either.

So no, the system isn't already in place utilizing inspection stations. Large segments would have to be established, and large segments would have to be changed.

Edited by rashore

if they need to raise taxes, then justr raise the gas tax itself. charging per mile driven is only a way for the government to stop you from driving.

the bridge thatr fell over the mississippi, the city was giving the money to fix it and the city used it for something else.